Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

91 Camaro RS 3.1 Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 91 Camaro RS 3.1 Stalling

lol. glad to hear you got it running again. Sure is frustrating when people work on your own car who don't know what their doing, thats why its important to do your own research.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:48 AM

my dad has had this problem about 3 years now spending almost 1000s when added up because of lame mechanics that charged him everything from fuel pump removal replacement 2 x to about 4 brand new ecms and proms and now a mechanic has it for for 10 months and claims he changed 3 of the injectors but its having the same problem.. I think it maybe the injectors and fuel pressure regulator since its curing everyone elses issues which my camaro also had. The mechanic is claiming its the ecm again but im going to tell my father just buy 6 all new injectors and fuel pressure regulator and install it. the car only has 67k by the way! and does anyone know where i can get a transmission dipstick for this 3.1?

Last edited by Mic Stylezz; 12-31-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 AM

it also has the issue of when its driven after a while it will cut off I will have to park it and after a few hours it would start could that be an injector problem
Old 12-31-2008, 02:18 PM

Car: 90 Camaro RS
Engine: V6 3.1 MFI
Transmission: 4 Speed Auto 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Yea, that sounds a lot like mine was before it really got bad. I can tell you it is not likely the ecm. It seems like every mechanics idea. I had changed my out before putting it in and the guy still wanted to change it out. I told him no thanx and to get his spark plugs and wire out of my car and to put my Brand new spark plugs and wires back in, that i had just put in the day before. That is what you got to look out for is the stuff you already changed out being changed out again.

Last edited by RS Reaper; 12-31-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 PM

Check for any codes that might be displayed. If you don't know how, get a manual from just about any auto store and read. You'll learn alot.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:16 AM

Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Engine: 305 T.B.I.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 Open Diff

I have the same problem and it turns out I ****ed up when I changed the timing chain it was off but we did get it to run just was shitty, sounding like it was misfiring and ran really rich. Now I can't get the timing chain on to be perfect so I haven't even tried to start it yet. I am pretty sure that is my problem. I tried a ECM and MAP sensor from another car, replaced the 02 and CTS sensor. Also replaced Distributor Cap and Rotor. I have a 92 RS 305TBI. It would run quarter throttle but if I slammed the gas it wouldn't move and would try to choke itself out. Like I said I think it's the timing chain and I will find out if I ever can get it on right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4NM-...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1cQ5...e=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUP_G...e=channel_page

I am about to give up.. It has been 6 months and nothing was wrong in the first place I ended up making problems. Someone disconnected my ignition coil wire and I guess I hooked it up and it ran like **** because I never reset the computer. I replaced the timing chain the first time with a broken hand and I know for a fact it was off.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM

Okay, so you think you messed up with the timing chain. Go back to it. Check that your timing marks align, you'll see a mark on the crank gear and on the gear that attaches to your cam. Now if you haven't pulled your distributor it should fire. Get yourself a timing light and mark your damper and adjust distributor to the proper degrees. (Check manual or it may be posted on the inside of your hood.) If you have pulled the distributor, you'll need to pull the number one spark plug and find the compression stroke. Pull the cap off the distributor and see where the rotor points to and adjust if necessary.....Its a start.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:25 PM

I pulled out the distributor figuring I could drop it in when I was done the timing chain. I can not get the timing chain on it is aligned dot to dot. Crank at 12 and Cam at 6. In the book it says that would be #6TDC so theoretically if I ever could get the timing chain on I would drop the distributor in pointing to #6.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM

Putting the timing chain on should be easy, pull the gear off the cam, start the chain on the crank first and then cam gear and then bolt back onto cam. The cam has a alignment pin so it can only go on one way so have to make sure have the chain on the right teeth.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:11 AM

It wont go on right for me
Old 01-05-2009, 09:37 PM

Then you must have the wrong timing chain. Check the size, there is a reason why you can't get it on and I'm willing to bet that it is either the wrong chain or you are not installing it right. Get help if your not sure!!!!!!
Old 01-05-2009, 11:38 PM

I knowww I looked up the PN and it matches. I don't know what to do. I had so many people come look at my car and they can't figure it out either and they work on cars to.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:51 PM

Okay, your still missing something!!!!they just don't build motors so you can't repair them. Not sure what kind of people you have working on it, but if they can't figure it out then you need to find somebody who knows what the hell they are doing. I've rebuildt countless motors, and manuals are a must. Your problem is not so much technical as it is mechanical. If got the chain off, you should be able to get it back on. Compare chains side by side and notice any discrepencies. You are and your friends are missing something and when you finally find it, your going to be embarassed. Be logical and eliminate all posibilities one by one. Your young, you'll figure it out.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 AM

how exactly do I reset the computer i always thought it just works in itself..first it might run crappy but then work normal
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM

I think you just disconnect the battery to reset. That is what it told me to do in the manual. No clue how long, I disconnect for a few mins and then try it didn't help then disconnect for a whole night but neither work because my problem was not the computer. Good luck
Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 AM

Reaper is right, just disconnect the battery for 3 or more minutes and then reconnect. It goes into default mode and has to relearn the operating parameters. You'll have to drive around for a few minutes making sure to stop and go a few times and accelerate so the computer can set the IAC and TPC and other various functions. If it still runs crappy after that, then you have some trouble shooting to do.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

we should file a class action lawsuit for making these damn 3.1 fuel injected engines so faulty..especially with injectors or crapping out early as 68k or less
Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 PM

I think that ship has sailed cause the last Third gen came off the line 17 years ago. My injector lasted 175k and 19 year I'm pretty happy. This was the only problem with this engine in 19 year I'm OK with that. I'm just glad to have my camaro back on the road.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM

I Have the same problem with my 91 RS 3.1, i can granny drive it most anywhere but i cant give it more than about 1/4 throttle or it dies, it will start right up after about 5 seconds. Can i check the injectors with just an ohmmeter?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM

If I were you, I'd just drive it to a GM dealer and have them take a look and check it. They can tell you if it is the injectors or not. I had to do that with mine.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Escaped Psyco
I Have the same problem with my 91 RS 3.1, i can granny drive it most anywhere but i cant give it more than about 1/4 throttle or it dies, it will start right up after about 5 seconds. Can i check the injectors with just an ohmmeter?
You could, but all that tells you is that you have an active circuit but won't tell you if the damn injector is frozen. Simply put, an injector is nothing more than a small magnetic solenoid that opens and closes when voltage is applied. If the injector is old and has deposits that have accumulated through the course of time, it won't spray accuratly or atomize the fuel properly. Newer car computers can detect this problem, however, 91's can't. There is a way to tell which one is bad, but it takes alot of time and help. Spend the money for some reconditioned injectors and I bet it fires right up and runs like new.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Just bought this car, had i not been retarded i would have noticed its TBI. One injector is over $200, and napa says it takes 2?? does this make sense?
Old 04-13-2009, 10:57 PM

Don't bother buying new ones, go online and buy six reconditioned injectors, there are several different sites that sell them for a quarter to third of the price of new ones.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 PM

Sorry, im an idiot its totally mpfi.....

well i went ahead and threw a map in it, and it made a hell of a difference in how much throttle i could give it, wasnt until i panned on it going up a hill that it fell on its face, but even then i made it to the end of third gear. drove it 15k out of town, half to 3/4 or more throttle, then i was going up a minor hill and gave'r in second, got halfway through third and it fell on its face, however i didnt have to shut it off for the first time yet, i put the clutch in for about 5 seconds then kept going just fine....

it wasnt until i got 2 blocks from my house that it took a big **** and i suddenly couldnt give it more than a feather of throttle without it dieing. Checked the codes at my house and it threw a 12 obviously, and a 42 for the first time. Book says 42 is: "Electronic Spark Timing circuit fault or fuel cutoff relay circuit fault or Direct Ignition System fault."

Unplugged the electronic timing wire and it didnt make a difference, i've got my eye on this so-called 'fuel cutoff relay circuit' but have no idea what or where it is, let alone how it works. Also, do these distributors have electronic vacuum advance?
Old 04-15-2009, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Escaped Psyco
Sorry, im an idiot its totally mpfi.....

well i went ahead and threw a map in it, and it made a hell of a difference in how much throttle i could give it, wasnt until i panned on it going up a hill that it fell on its face, but even then i made it to the end of third gear. drove it 15k out of town, half to 3/4 or more throttle, then i was going up a minor hill and gave'r in second, got halfway through third and it fell on its face, however i didnt have to shut it off for the first time yet, i put the clutch in for about 5 seconds then kept going just fine....

it wasnt until i got 2 blocks from my house that it took a big **** and i suddenly couldnt give it more than a feather of throttle without it dieing. Checked the codes at my house and it threw a 12 obviously, and a 42 for the first time. Book says 42 is: "Electronic Spark Timing circuit fault or fuel cutoff relay circuit fault or Direct Ignition System fault."

Unplugged the electronic timing wire and it didnt make a difference, i've got my eye on this so-called 'fuel cutoff relay circuit' but have no idea what or where it is, let alone how it works. Also, do these distributors have electronic vacuum advance?
Read Reapers post on 12/27/ 08, (i think) , when an injector goes bad the computer tries to compensate by telling the other injectors to supply more fuel. You end up with fouled plugs. You can keep thowing money at it or do what every one else does,,,,,,,,,,,,,replace the injectors.......
Old 04-23-2009, 10:41 AM

well i know all the injectors are working, 2 are definitely weaker tho, could this still be the case?
Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Car: 1992 25th anniv. camaro rs
Engine: 3.1L V6
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Originally Posted by Jet
Thanks for the update, keep us posted...

i took a chance and drove my car about 12 miles to get gas, i filled her up and she would not start. i had to push her away from the pumps and sit 2 hours while it cooled down, after that she started and got me home.

PS... i had a new can of starter fluid with me just incase but it did Not help, i i sprayed some in there and it would start for about 2 seconds then die, i tryed this about 10 times in defrient ways and non worked, i thought ok once it starts i'll just pump the gas and keep it running but Nope didn't work.

SO the car will not start after warming up. and will die if i give it half throttle or more then it wont start till it cools down, its not overheating or anything like that, it idle's fine when starting up in the morning and will drive fine just so i dont give it much throttle, but once i drive it and warm it up i can not turn it off or i will be stuck for 2-4 hours, in the hot summer though's hours will go up im sure. seems like its not getting gas up there. starter fluid would start it but not keep it running.
Just curious has anybody tryed checking to see if the plugs are getting fire after the motor dies? I havent seen anybody say they have tested it yet so I was curious.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:53 PM

i know mine is getting spark, cuz now its to the point where it will start and rev to 3 grand, drop to 0, rev back up, drop to 0.... does this 3-6 times before finally quitting. not throwing any codes anymore either.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:23 PM

My problem wound up being the Ignition Coil the whole time. They are tricky!
Old 05-20-2009, 10:07 PM

i noticed my oil pressure sensor smoking so i checked it out, it was covered in oil even inside the electrical connectors, i cleaned them off and it made it way better, im gonna replace it next week
Old 11-11-2009, 06:54 PM

I was troubleshooting my 91 V6 for two weeks and was getting really frustrated. It would start right up and run great until it got warm. then it would die and not start until it had cooled for several hours. I had good fuel pressure to the injectors and good spark. No indications at all on the scanner that anything was wrong. I read this string and tried the injectors. Now she runs like a raped ape! Thanks to all of you that put the information down and those that helped. I didn't spend near the down-time I would have if it weren't for you.