Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Replacing the in-tank fuel pump with an in-line fuel pump

Old 04-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing the in-tank fuel pump with an in-line fuel pump

Hi,

I've already done a search on this topic and have only found information in regards to a sticky on the carb forum, which is not my application.

My specs:
87 Iroc-Z 305tpi. Everything is original or original replacement except for the exhaust, valve covers, and electric fan system.

What I want to do:
remove the intank electric pump and replace it with an in-line external pump.

What I need to know:
What size (flow/psi) is the stock electric pump in an 87 car?
Where should I install the new pump?
What do I put in place of the old pump? Just a line with a filter on the end?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts
Car: 82 Berlinetta/57 Bel Air
Engine: LS1/LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E/4L80E
Axle/Gears: 12B-3.73/9"-3.89
Originally Posted by Synful
What do I put in place of the old pump? Just a line with a filter on the end?
What it says in the sticky on the carb forum.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM

Re: Replacing the in-tank fuel pump with an in-line fuel pump

Ive read it again and there doesn't appear to be any general consensus on what the "right" way is to do this job. It is also extremely vague as to what is used and in what order pieces connect. Just a photo in which I am expected to identify all of the parts without labels attached to them.

A step by step guide would be much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:46 AM

Line is 3/8" bulk stock type line. Fittings are flared (could use compression fittings as well), available from any hardware store and probably parts stores. A link is provided to the strainer.

I guess I don't see what is lacking.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:57 PM

What's missing is the "how to" part of it. He simply told people what he did, not how he accomplished it.

I am not familiar with the stock pump assembly. I don't know the names of the parts so I need a photo with labels next to parts so I can know which he kept and which he removed. I also need to know what he did with the stock electrical, including which color wires do what. There is no way for me to determine which part of that thread is specific to only manuals and which part I can use.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Well, I guess I take care of those details as I get into the job.

Which wires go where is obvious when you get the part in your hand. Except for someone other than the OP posting pics, everything the OP posted was his originally-in-tank-electric-pump pick-up.

Like you said in your original post, replace the pump with a piece of line and a filter on the end.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by five7kid
Well, I guess I take care of those details as I get into the job.

Which wires go where is obvious when you get the part in your hand. Except for someone other than the OP posting pics, everything the OP posted was his originally-in-tank-electric-pump pick-up.

Like you said in your original post, replace the pump with a piece of line and a filter on the end.
Someone told me I need a manual pickup. I don't know what that means.

Assuming it means exactly what you said (a line with a filter on the end), then literally all i do is remove the entire pump assembly and replace it with a line and a filter on the end and have some electric pump somewhere inbetween the fuel filter and the tank?

The reason I ask about wiring is because I assume it has something to do with the stock one priming for a certain period of time before shutting off. Will the new one be able to replace this function?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Synful
Someone told me I need a manual pickup. I don't know what that means.

Assuming it means exactly what you said (a line with a filter on the end), then literally all i do is remove the entire pump assembly and replace it with a line and a filter on the end and have some electric pump somewhere inbetween the fuel filter and the tank?

The reason I ask about wiring is because I assume it has something to do with the stock one priming for a certain period of time before shutting off. Will the new one be able to replace this function?
What you were told is to get a carb pickup and install it, as it should just pick up fuel and thats it. Athough, many thirdgens with carbs have an electric fuel pump also, so that wouldnt get you anywhere. Its really just a matter of extending the pickup and putting a filter on the end.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 AM

I still need to know the details on the stock pump so I can buy the correct size external electric pump, and where i should install it.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe
Engine: 2.8L V6
Transmission: T5

I am By No Means and expert but this is what I found on the AutoZone website:

1. The Stock Replacement for the in-tank fuel pump has 65-95 psi and supplies 40 GPH
2. The Stock Replacement for a motor mounted Carbed fuel pump has 7-9.5 psi and supplies 40 GPH

I think the higher psi is due to fuel injection so I would look for a pump that is in the range from #1 above. Also, I was told that you can't use an in-tank only fuel pump outside of the tank or you will run into overheating it as the gas is actually used to cool the pump itself.

3. If your wiring to the fuel pump is like mine it should only by two wires running into the pump itself. If so, the black should be ground and on mine the tan/white is power from the relay.

4. Where to install it? Your guess is as good as mine! lol

Hope this helps
Old 04-08-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by jaygod8
I am By No Means and expert but this is what I found on the AutoZone website:

1. The Stock Replacement for the in-tank fuel pump has 65-95 psi and supplies 40 GPH
2. The Stock Replacement for a motor mounted Carbed fuel pump has 7-9.5 psi and supplies 40 GPH

I think the higher psi is due to fuel injection so I would look for a pump that is in the range from #1 above. Also, I was told that you can't use an in-tank only fuel pump outside of the tank or you will run into overheating it as the gas is actually used to cool the pump itself.

3. If your wiring to the fuel pump is like mine it should only by two wires running into the pump itself. If so, the black should be ground and on mine the tan/white is power from the relay.

4. Where to install it? Your guess is as good as mine! lol

Hope this helps
That helps a great deal thank you.

I didn't think to check the regular parts stores for numbers... now that I do though I'm a little concerned. Here is what I found:

Autozone:
Intank #1: 65-95psi 40gph (the only one available for my car on their site)

Napa:
Intank OEM Equivalent #1: 50psi 16gph
Intank OEM Equivalent #2: 50.8psi 19.2gph
Intank OEM Equivalent #3: 28psi 43.5gph
OE Electric Inline Type: 50psi 16gph

the much lower GPH on all of them except #3 compared to autozone troubles me... which is offset by the very low psi of #3 compared to the rest of them. I'm usually more inclined to believe what Napa tells me than autozone... but which one is right lol!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:14 AM

Car: 1983 Z-28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: ?

did you get any further on this topic? I want to do the same thing to save any headaches down the road while I'm doing my LT1 swap.

My question is, if I buy a stock pickup for, say, an '85 firebird, would it go into place of my current fuel pump?