Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

89 305tpi problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 camaro iroc z28
Engine: 355 carbed
Transmission: t-5 speed
Axle/Gears: 2.73 posi drum rear
89 305tpi problem please help

so what do u think my problem is then, i can start my car when its cold, when its warmed up it starts to surge a lttle bit but, then i rev it up and it goes away. if i go somewhere when its warmed up and i shut it off, when i go to start it back up it wont start untill it cools down.

ill turn the key and ill hear the fuel pump come on and the motor wants to start. i have 42 lbs of fuel pressure to the fuel rails with key in on position. i spray starting fluid into the throttle body and itll start but instantly shutoff so i know i have spark.

so far i have bought an ecm, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, theres a new distibutor in it, oil/ oil filter, my gas tank was checked for buildup and there was nothing in it, if u know whats wrong or what could be wrong please tell me. im starting to run out of money
Old 08-23-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)
Re: 89 305tpi problem please help

did you replace the coil, when you dropped in the distributor think it was lined up?did u get a new Ignition control module with the distributor(tested good?)?. even with a crappy injector or spark plug it would at least misfire. try checking the injector fuses. and check the grounds on the injectors. {the replaced component you mentioned were}--> (ecm, fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, distibutor , oil/ oil filter) i assume the pickupcoil was included with distributor.... Im just going to assume all components in the ignition department are new, and the spark wires are routed right, and that the fuel department is good...id assume next the timing.. try turning your crankshaft with a wrench or socket clockwise and match the harmonic timing marks with the timing tab 0*--->take off your distributors cap and check to see if the rotor is pointing to #1 cylinder terminal on the cap. you could be off a tooth on the distributor maybe too advanced or retarded...
Old 08-23-2009, 11:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 RS
Engine: 350 vortec
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: not the best not the worst
Re: 89 305tpi problem please help

the car would hardly run if the timing was that far out and you can install the distributer pointing in absolutely ANY direction no such thing as it being off a tooth with a distributer

the fact that it will run enough to get hot and be driven somewhere rules out timing as the cause of the no start

if ether will start the car then i would be looking into why your injectors aren't firing when they get hot