Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine
Register Forgot Password?

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
Sponsored by Weld Racing
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 09-24-2009, 08:51 AM   #1

Car: 1989 irocz lb9 57k miles
Transmission: manual

Classifieds Rating: (0)
Timing Tab

I need to reinstall the distributer in my 89 iroc LB9. I set number on cylinder on tdc and the haynes book says to rotate the moter till the balancer mark lines up with 0 degrees, then set the distributer in with the rotor pointing between number one and eight plug wires. The problem I am having is the timing tab has no numbers on it, even after srubbing the grim off. Does anyone know where o degrees is on the tab? Please help!!!
zcam96 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
On Probation

Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

Re: Timing Tab

Look for the biggest of the "sawteeth" It's towards the driver's side. That'll be zero.
Atilla the Fun is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #3

Car: 1989 irocz lb9 57k miles
Transmission: manual

Thanks....hopefully I'll get this thing runnin tonite!!
zcam96 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcam96 View Post
I need to reinstall the distributer in my 89 iroc LB9. I set number on cylinder on tdc and the haynes book says to rotate the moter till the balancer mark lines up with 0 degrees, then set the distributer in with the rotor pointing between number one and eight plug wires. The problem I am having is the timing tab has no numbers on it, even after srubbing the grim off. Does anyone know where o degrees is on the tab? Please help!!!

I read this several times and either your not clear on what your saying or your confused as to what your doing

finding TDC
http://forum.grumpysperformance.com/...php?f=70&t=967

step one, pull the #1 plug and place the tip of your finger over the plug hole and rotate the engine until you feel COMPRESSION build as the number one cylinder, piston starts its compression stroke as the mark on the damper gets close to the timing tab, then remove your finger and continue turning the engine until the timing line on the damper aligns with the timing tab (0) TDC
once thats done the engine should not rotate any more until the distributor is seated correctly.
once thats lined up you drop the distributor into the engine so the rotor on the distributor points at the #1 cylinder when it seats and you install and lightly tighten the clamp and connect the wires, connect the timing light and set the timing at about 6-8 degrees BTDC at idle as a start point., if the distributor won,t fully seat the oil pump drive shaft needs to be turned a few degrees with a long large flat blade screw driver and re-try seating it while, it might take several tries until it lines up, it will seat into the distributor base gear once the oil pump drive aligns with the oil pump slot in the distributor gear base

Last edited by grumpyvette; 09-24-2009 at 11:10 AM.
grumpyvette is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tags
1984, 84, 91, camaro, degree, degrees, location, mark, number, pictures, set, tab, tdc, timing, trans