Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Heat. Air Conditioning. blower BROKEN?

Old 10-10-2009, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Black Trans Am
Engine: 350 bored .030
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Stock. Wanting up grade
Heat. Air Conditioning. blower BROKEN?

i have no clue what the heck is going on. when i put my control on - Max A/C, Regular A/C, Heater, defrost. ANYTHING. no matter what the setting is, it still only comes out of the defrost ports above the dash pad, and the two vents for the driver/passenger windows. i just replaced my whole air conditioning setup under the hood and i get crappy semi-cold air from the defrost part. not too worried about the A/C now, but still, not having heat during winter is gunna suck. is this fixable? or do i need a whole new unit? THANKS
Old 10-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi
Re: Heat. Air Conditioning. blower BROKEN?

You have a vacuum leak. The a/c heater controls which doors open/shut in the dash by vacuum. The default setting is the defrost vents - when there's not enough vacuum, the door stays open for the defrost vents, thus closing off the airflow to the floor and/or the dash vents. Remove the a/c heater controller from the dash, and check it for vacuum leaks. Also, make sure the vacuum line is attached under the hood - it goes into the firewall just to the driver side of the heater box - where the wires from the blower motor go through the firewall.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:11 AM

does that vacuum line under the hood happen to have a "T" on it? i have one line close to the firewall that has a T (on the drivers side at the very top of the firewall) and the one line that feeds into the two already connected is broken, and not attached...

the vacuum lines im checking behind the a/c heat controller - are the colored? purple, yellow, blue maybe? whats that cluster there?
Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

yes, the lines in the controller are all different colors.

But, if you have a broken vacuum line under the hood, I'd get that fixed first! There should be a vacuum line that runs along the driver fender at the top - this goes to 1) Evaporator Canister if you have one, 2) cruise control if you have it, and 3) the vacuum "ball" that's under the driver side front end (it's the same spot as the battery on the pass side, only on driver side, and the "ball" is under the metal - can see the ball from under the car, not from engine bay if that makes sense)

There should also be a vauccum line on pass side that runs to 1) EGR valve which is on pass side of intake, 2) MAP sensor which is pass side firewall at top connected to the lip just under the hoodline, 3) heater diverter valve pass side just behind A/C, and 4) the vacuum line that goes inside the car, just beside the heaterbox on the driver side of the box, where the wires for the blower motor go through the firewall.

Make sure all your vacuum lines are connected to something or else capped off - maybe that will fix the control issue. In addition, car should run slightly better with no vacuum leaks.

Ooops! You have a 'Bird! On a 'Bird alot of this is backwards - like your battery is on driver side right? And A/C is driver side too? So - my descriptions may be off as far as driver side versus pass side. Also, I'm assuming you have a carb? So there may be no MAP sensor or vacuum line there. Just make sure your vacuum lines are connected or capped off, and make sure that vacuum line going through the firewall at the heater/blower box IS connected (and should have a 1-way check valve in that vacuum line as well).
Old 10-10-2009, 01:45 AM

can the lines be plugged into the wrong lines? like, would it make a huge deal? and even if put something in the end to keep it from being open would work? what should i use? thanks so much btw for taking time to answer all my ?s lol
Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The valve the corlored lines are hooked to goes bad sometimes too.