Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Is this worth my time?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Is this worth my time?

Hello, I recently stumbled across a 1984 Camaro z28. It has the 305 (I believe high output). After our purchase, my dad and I discovered several problems with it. While the Camaro was still relatively cheap, I kept going with it. So far I've found there was too much oil in it, the carburetor was bad, and the rust is horrible. I'm not too worried about the rust because my intention with the car was to learn about cars (my dad was used to do an abundance of auto mechanics and is helping my mediocre knowledge). After finding more problems (t-top leaking, there are no floor planels, etc.) I recently decided to start looking for maybe a new body to work with. My question is having not much more than a decent engine worth my money? I've read numerous places that I should get rid of the 305 and get a 350, but I also read here I should work with what I've got.. Sorry for the winded question.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM

Car: 1991 Trans Am GTA, 2003 Grand Am GT
Engine: 350 Tune Port
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Is this worth my time?

I would advise you to sit down and make a list of everything you need to replace or repair and the associated cost. Note everything including fluids, hoses, clamps, etc. Put together your total cost and then compare to what a nice condition 3rd gen would cost you. If it is way more than get rid of it and buy one in descent condition that you can upgrade and restore.

Now, with that being said. If you want to do the car from strictly a learning perspective than go for it. However, just keep in mind that it is very tough to continue to work on a car that you cannot drive. If the car has no sentimental value or is not rare than I would probably find a solid car to upgrade and work with.

This is of course just my opinion. Good luck!
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM

Car: 1984 Camaro z28
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Is this worth my time?

Thank you for your opinion. It will drive as soon as I get a carb for it (which I plan on doing, the engine is definitely something I'm keeping for learning experiece so far). It ran decent before I took out the carb (which is in pieces in my basement...I don't want to talk about it I need a new one haha). But I think I will sit down and make a list.