Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Hood wont latch

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood wont latch

All of a sudden my hood release wouldn't work today, so I searched on the boards here to get an idea how to fix it. I figured out how to open it from under the car. But here's the thing...the cable had come completely loose from the latch. So I reattatched the cable to the metal clip at the bottom of the latch (at least I thought I did it right) but now when I close the hood, it doesn't latch down. And if I push down on it, it still wont. If I use a big screw driver to pusch down in the latch simulating the hood closing, it seems to work, but even with that when I pull the release something doesn't feel right.

So I obviously don't know what I am doing. Does any one have a good picture of the cable attatched to the latch correctly. Maybe I am try to put it in the wrong spot. I don't see any other way to do it though.

Also when I open it from under the car with a screw driver, something plastic fell in my face but I couldn't find it. The metal clamp is still on the end of the cable. Did I break something?

Please help me, I really need to turn this back into my daily driver.

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-14-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Hood wont latch

Well after cleaning it and alot of WD40 it works but I have to shut the hood pretty hard. How do I know if the latch or release cable needs replaced?
Old 11-14-2009, 10:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 85' Trans Am !best car ever!
Engine: 305tpi 215hp LB9 two bolt,
Transmission: th-700r4
Axle/Gears: stock (3.27)

i use gun oil or white grease. I had that same problem with releasing the hood. in fact today i pulled the release handle, and went to the front of the hood and fist bumped it, bam, it unlatches. you can play with the adjustment screws on the the latch, i like to close the latch manually with my fingers or screwdriver and lube the latch more. wd fluid works as temp. gotta get stuff that doesnt evaporate. try motor oil maybe. as far plastic pieces falling, that could be anything. usually not important.
Old 11-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Yep, just Fonze it
Old 11-15-2009, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1987 Iroc Z 1990 RS 1991 RS
Engine: 454 soon 496
Transmission: Soon T56
Axle/Gears: 308 Posi

What i did use wd 40 to loosen it up then used 10 30 oil. worked wonders. I do know if the cable that releases the hood has a crack in it. it will kink and not make it open and :P i have to sometimes tap the hood to pop it open :P.