Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

HELP!!!! Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!! Please

Hello all
I have been fighting a problem for two drag racing seasons and cannot figure it out. In a nut shell this is the problem. The car begins to launch very hard the wheel almost come off the ground and as quick as this happen the car falls flat on its face and it takes about a second to a second and a half before it will begin to go aging. Some interesting points, it only does it when the car hooks and I never take my foot of the gas pedal. I have done ever thing that I know to do. Please if anybody has had this problem or has any ideas let me know what you think. The key note to remember is it only does this at the drag strip when the car launches good.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Re: HELP!!!! Please

Um, what car? what engine? what induction system?
Old 11-24-2009, 03:07 PM

It is a 1988 camaro with a 350 40 over 750 holley, msd ignition system tci street fighter tranny, 411 gears, holley blue fuel pump. I have tried different adjustments on the carb and get the same thing when it hooks hard. I can punch it on the highway and it never falls but it is also just spinning the wheels. In the shop I can the hit throttle while under the hood and there is no skip. Let me know what other info would be helpful. I have put jet extenders in the carb also
Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

I would check float height, and consider installing slosh tubes.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:31 PM

I've heard of real weird things happening under hard throttle when ground strap wires are broken. Something metal on the engine (like a header or something) touches the chassis well enough to ground the ignition system until the chassis is stressed under hard power, then things move and the ground path gets broken.

It's an easy check, just put a jumper wire on any good and solid metal part on the engine and put the other end on a secure piece of chassis metal and go hit it hard and see what happens.