Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Seized motor symptoms?

Old 01-29-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Camaro
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700R4
Seized motor symptoms?

I bought a trans am yesterday and it has a 327 in it. Obviously not the stock motor. Anyways its been sitting for a few years. I put a battery in the car and all the lights in the car came on. yay. I turned the key and nothing happened. Nothing. Wouldn't I at least hear the starter trying to engage if it was engaging? Its 16 degrees outside and our bays are full in the garage so I can't quite get to it just yet but I'd like to have a decent idea of what I'm in for when I do.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Seized motor symptoms?

Usually if the engine is locked up solid, you'll get a fun CLANG!!! when the starter kicks into a rock solid flywheel. I bought an 86 Firebird from a tow yard years ago... The hood was bent back and no aircleaner. When I pulled the intake the ports in the head were full of rust. Needless to say I threw that engine away.

If the starter does nothing, either the wiring, switches, or the starter itself are bad. Assuming your battery has a charge.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Yea, if you're not hearing the starter click, start looking at wiring.
I would also put oil in the cylinders (spark plug holes), and bar it over with all the plugs removed, before hitting it with the starter...
Old 01-29-2010, 04:13 PM

Well I took the battery out of my S-10 that I daily drive so it was fully charged. I didn't hear any noises or anything and the starter didn't engage so I think I have a bad ground somewhere. I have an Iroc with the same issue. Where are the grounds on these at? lol

And as for the oil and breaker bar thats a good idea. I need to get it into the shop though. And I'm not sure I can get oil in the motor with it in the car. I did unplug the coil wire to the distributor before I started cranking though so it wouldn't dry start.
Old 01-29-2010, 04:33 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1982 Trans-Am
Engine: 355 w/ ported 416s
Transmission: T10, hurst shifter
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, true-trac, 3.73

Where the factory grounds were are kinda irrelevant now aren't they? Normally between the back of the passenger cylinder head and the firewall though.

Just make sure your battery to chassis, and chassis to engine have GOOD (4awg or better) grounding wires, with clean connections.

You can use one of those little red oiling cans ($5 or so) to squirt oil into the spark plug holes.

If you're sub-zero, I can imagine you wanting to push it into your garage before doing any work on it though...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM

Well they are but they aren't. It has the factory computer controlled carb hooked up by the looks of it so for all I know its the stock 305. Which is fine by me, I suppose. I just don't wanna put another engine into it unless I have to.

I guess I'll replace both battery cables. The bolts for the cables were literally frozen into the battery lol. Even if that isn't what it is it certainly couldn't hurt to replace them. Can I run a push button to the starter and use that to crank it?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 PM

Oh that reminds me, when I do turn the key all the lights on the dash light up and the temp gauge pegs itself out for some reason...dunno whats up with that. Thought it might be worth mentioning.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:08 AM

Anyone?
Old 01-31-2010, 09:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Is it a VATS car?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:38 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 90 IROC-Z
Engine: LS1
Transmission: M6
Axle/Gears: 9" spooled 3.70

starter relay?
Old 01-31-2010, 03:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

You've got to troubleshoot it. Have you used a breaker bar and a socket on the crank bolt to see if you can turn the crank? If the engine won't budge, nothing else is going to matter.

Hook up your battery, and check for 12v at the positive post on the starter. Got voltage? If not your battery cables are crap. If so move on to the next step.

Disconnect the solenoid wire, it's the purple lead attached to the tiny post on the starter. Connect a voltmeter or a test light between that wire and ground, and have a helper turn the key.. Battery voltage? If not it's a wiring problem, ignition switch problem, etc. If you've got battery voltage, pull that starter and have it tested.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew
You've got to troubleshoot it. Have you used a breaker bar and a socket on the crank bolt to see if you can turn the crank? If the engine won't budge, nothing else is going to matter.

Hook up your battery, and check for 12v at the positive post on the starter. Got voltage? If not your battery cables are crap. If so move on to the next step.

Disconnect the solenoid wire, it's the purple lead attached to the tiny post on the starter. Connect a voltmeter or a test light between that wire and ground, and have a helper turn the key.. Battery voltage? If not it's a wiring problem, ignition switch problem, etc. If you've got battery voltage, pull that starter and have it tested.
I also bought a 5.7 tpi, it sat for almost a year and when I turn the key nothing turns on. I got a new battery and tested the starter which was good. I did the breaker bar but didn't even budge. My next step is to us penetrating oil and check ignition, any other ideas? This could be a project car