Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rate my purchase and helpful advice? LONG READ

Old 07-03-2010, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Rate my purchase and helpful advice? LONG READ

Hey guys, new here...

I'm still learning about cars and engine work in general so please bear with me...

Pretty much grew up around Firebirds with my dad getting a new one every 2 - 3 years or so, loved them all.. so naturally, that's what I wanted as my first car.. No ifs ands or buts, despite people telling me to stay away from 8 cylinders on a first car I couldn't stand the thought of having a V6 FB ... The sound of a V8 spoiled me throughout the years so I had to have it...

Ahem sorry about the story (kind of an introduction considering this is my first post )

So about 2 months ago, I found an 84 Trans Am on CL for $1400 with 99k miles... I took my dad and we went to check it out, he told me flat out if it had T-Tops he'd have bought it for himself right then and there ..AKA the car was in good shape (not perfect but i'll get to that) Dark Sand Grey (BEAUTIFUL color) but is in need of a paintjob due to rust that formed on the roof but was sanded and primered by the PO No power anything (was a + for me) and cruise control

We test drove it for a while, had a clunk on the passenger side but nothing too major...Handling was really loose compared to anything else i've driven but I grew to love it... We all agreed it was an awesome ride as a first car, shelled over the money and took the car home...

Weekend after I bought it, I drove it over to my dad's place to check it out some more, dive "deeper" into it (heh benefits of having a mechanic in the family) We certainly knew there was gonna be a few things wrong with it, but I wanted something like that because I want to learn on this thing...

Off the bat we found there was a clunk in the front end passenger side as mentioned above (which i'm guessing is the battery bouncing around since the hold down is gone mixed in with the fact the springs are old as hell and most definitely shot), a loose balljoint on the same side (coulda killed me >.>), water pump leaking coolant, bad tranny mount (car jumps when shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa),idling very high causing engine run on, some rust and was in need of an oil change...

My dad always told me these cars are reliable if you know how to treat them..never had one break down on him or leave him stranded...So anyway I got the new transmission mount but haven't put it in..springs are messed up and the car sits too low so the ramps my father has won't cut it ... We did tighten that balljoint though, car feels less wobbly after that.. Replaced the water pump, no more coolant leaks..new air filter, adjusted the idle, I have plans to replace the whole front end suspension and rust proofing on the bottom.

Now I know this car probably doesn't need any MAJOR work but keep in mind, this is something I want to drive every day (like to work and school)... A daily driver.. I know alotta people are against this, but to each their own.. For the winters I can use my mom's Explorer...

From my 2 months of driving it, I can say that I personally love this car.. PO said he didn't do any work on the car, body or engine wise and only had it for a year... But the exhaust is most definitely new (still shiny) Not sure what brand it is..The car does NOT feel like it has 150hp.. I read that 305 > 350 swaps were really common but i'm not sure... The vin decode reveals that it's an LG4 but the hood scoop says "5.0. Liter H.O."

Now what I want to know is...What do you guys think? Would you have jumped on this deal? daily driver worthy? a side note, money IS an issue for me but all the money I have will be put into this baby

Anyway I have pics and if you guys want more info ask me... I'm really interested in everyone's opinions and advice... Don't be too hard on me though =P I'm still a noob but I plan to work my way up

Last edited by Lans84TA; 09-18-2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:07 AM

Re: Rate my purchase and helpful advice? LONG READ

More pics.. Sorry about the quality, crappy Blackberry cam >.<

Forgot to mention that dent on the drivers side door

Edit: That is NOT me standing in front of the car in that first pic LOL
Attached Thumbnails Rate my purchase and helpful advice? LONG READ-img00359.jpg   Rate my purchase and helpful advice? LONG READ-img00287.jpg   Rate my purchase and helpful advice? LONG READ-img00286.jpg  
Old 07-03-2010, 02:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 RS/ QX56/Altima 3.5 SE
Engine: 305
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: ?

very nice starting point, welcome to TGO. you will find the search feature very helpful...keep us posted on you progress
Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 AM
On Probation

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: seeking '90.5-'92 'bird hardtop
Engine: several
Transmission: none
Axle/Gears: none

Since the VIN says LG4, I'd tend to think someone just spent $3 to add the HO stickers sometime after '84. Even 305s are torque motors. a 150 HP V8 should always feel like a 250-horse 4-cylinder, because of the V8's torque advantage.
Your "new" ride is much better than mine.
Old 07-03-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Atilla the Fun
Since the VIN says LG4, I'd tend to think someone just spent $3 to add the HO stickers sometime after '84. Even 305s are torque motors. a 150 HP V8 should always feel like a 250-horse 4-cylinder, because of the V8's torque advantage.
Your "new" ride is much better than mine.
Yeah that's what i'm guessing too..

Another interesting fact is that the hood was once red which I can tell due to a chip in the paint..Every other paint chip doesn't show red besides on the hood... Which is weird...

Yeah i'm also guessing another reason it feels really fast is cause i've never driven anything else that was fast to be able to compare... I only drive an Explorer and this Trans Am... I find myself driving the Explorer more aggressively now though
Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 AM

Bump - Really interested in more opinions and/or advice!

+ A few more pics

You can really see the where the car rusted on the roof in the third pic

Last edited by Lans84TA; 09-18-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:23 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

"borrow" someones driveway where there is a small hump up from the street into the driveway - position the car so that the front tires are at the apex of the hump, then place the car ramps- they will fit under the front then since the nose will be up in the air from the hump. My driveway has this small hump up from the street, and it's the only way I can get my lowered car onto the ramps.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:49 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

My first car that I actually drove was also an 84 T/A, got it for $450. Drove it to work/school everywhere, never let me down, not even one time. Well, until the transmission went out, but I was pretty hard on it, got a good year out of the T/A, though.. I eventually scrapped it for parts. One day I WILL buy another one!

Treat here right, man.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by bradley23150
My first car that I actually drove was also an 84 T/A, got it for $450. Drove it to work/school everywhere, never let me down, not even one time. Well, until the transmission went out, but I was pretty hard on it, got a good year out of the T/A, though.. I eventually scrapped it for parts. One day I WILL buy another one!

Treat here right, man.
Haha awesome... Definitely an awesome first car for sure... I haven't had any probs with mine but damn, $450 is a steal for one of these...

What do you mean you were hard on it? Like peeling out, burning rubber, flooring it, etc? I have done all of the above in mine during my "new car syndrome" (c'mon..how can you resist?) Though I promised not to be too rough on it or beat on it anymore since the car seems to have been taken care of throughout the years so it makes me feel guilty... Not until I have the money to fix w/e I damage anyway...

I park the thing in the street since I live an apartment so i'm not gonna go too crazy on mods, Just routine maintenance, maybe some engine work...

As for using someone's garage... Great advice, I think i'll try that next time i'm at my dad's place...
Old 07-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 83 Trans Am / 96 Jeep XJ
Engine: 355 / 4.0 I6
Transmission: TH350 / Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10-bolt / 4wd

Originally Posted by Lans84TA
Haha awesome... Definitely an awesome first car for sure... I haven't had any probs with mine but damn, $450 is a steal for one of these...

What do you mean you were hard on it? Like peeling out, burning rubber, flooring it, etc? I have done all of the above in mine during my "new car syndrome" (c'mon..how can you resist?) Though I promised not to be too rough on it or beat on it anymore since the car seems to have been taken care of throughout the years so it makes me feel guilty... Not until I have the money to fix w/e I damage anyway...

I park the thing in the street since I live an apartment so i'm not gonna go too crazy on mods, Just routine maintenance, maybe some engine work...

As for using someone's garage... Great advice, I think i'll try that next time i'm at my dad's place...
Lets just say I REALLY enjoyed that car, haha.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:48 PM

Car: '87 Z-28
Engine: LT1-topped 400
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'd suggest springing for a floor jack and axle stands instead of ramps. I've always found ramps a hassle, since you need to be able to start and move the car to get up on 'em, and it's harder to shimmy around 'em crawling under the car, plus they take up a lot more space in the garage. I paid sixty bucks for a 2-ton jack and pair of axle stands, I'd wager they're even cheaper in the States if you shop at HF or similar... though I'd recommend a three-ton jack or better, just for the increased size (safety!).

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal, nothing major to fix and a few simple things to get your feet wet and familiarize yourself with the car.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:26 PM
Banned

Car: 92 25th anv camaro rs
Engine: 305 tbi
Axle/Gears: 3.08s non posi

i think it was a good deal. im more of a camaro fan tho but still i paid 1200 for my 92 rs i picked up a few months ago and im in the same boat kinda. the car was used for drag racing with out suspension mods >.< eveyrht8ing is going bad.

could always pull the motor nnumbers and match them up, i found out that i have a 350 in my car but it came with a 305 factory.

and ya iw ould use a jack wit jack stands, just easier to work with.

annd the hood...the old one could of rusted and a P.O. gpot a new one and had it painted to match.

really i think it was a good deal, i also use mine as a DD (winter time i use my silverado) and ppl are like why? im like why not? its my car i love to drive it so why am i only gona drive it very limitedly? if the car is tooken very good care of then there wont be a problem.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM

Car: 89 rs black
Engine: 305 v8 tbi
Transmission: 700r4 stock

just my .02. I bought a: 89 camaro rs 305tbi 700r4, ttop
dunn, north carolina on 2/10 for $600 cash $35 towing

1. the tranny was trashed would not get out of 2nd
2. would not start coolant temp. sensor reading -24F in 80F weather
3. headliner trashed
4. heater core trashed
5. tires trashed
6. rims aluminum and black racing rims of some kind tall tires in back low pro in front
EVERY lug only hand tight
7. drivers fender dent
8. pass. quarter panel side swiped
9. front grille fog lights gone
10. drivers seat look like freddy and jason had a fight in front seat (all others immaculate)
11. hatch pull down latch gone
12. spare tire gone
13. hood lift supports trash
14. trunk lift supports trash
15. spark plugs gassed to death
16. ants took over car (problem solved)
17. window motors (weak)
18. a.c. trashed (hooked up no work)
19. vents (only defrost work)
20. turn signal multiswitch don't work
21. motor bogs down when getting down on gas from 1/3 - full throttle
(at night in the dark can see the plug wires arc will change wires and then check throttle)
22. needed starter
23. may need some front end work
the good:
1. motor and tranny run like a beast (used tranny 90 warranty 63k miles $400)
2. 1992 orig. wheels with 90% tread tires $380
3. new seats nothing wrong with them $80 (front and rear matching)
4. ttop no leak
5. BODY WORK CAN BE DONE BY PAINTER
6. parts for engine and tranny are cheap
7. got a nasty 350 bottom end all machine work DONE. for $600 for christmas
Fresh 40 over 350 block 2 bolt main with arp main studs
Bored and honed with torque plate, decked
Brass freeze plugs with clevite cam bearings
Cast crank turned 10/10 with clevite main bearings
Rebuilt rods with arp wavelock bolts and clevite bearings
Speed Pro Hyperutectic flat top pistons with speed pro moly rings
Assembled with all clearances checked
8. saving on labor doing the work myself and with my 52year old father's help
(PRICELESS)
I know it's long sorry I got in the zone you did not waste your money
Old 07-12-2010, 06:52 PM

Thanks for the replies guys

Gonna look into doing some work on it during this week and getting some jack stands to get that mount in and check for anything it may need or rust.

RS owner, awesome post.. That's pretty much how it'll be in my case with my dad helping me out with the labor while I buy all the parts it needs..

I'll go do a search for what's good for rust protection ... Would hate to have to lose my car to road salt in the winter