Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine
Register Forgot Password?

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
Sponsored by Weld Racing
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Aftermarket Oil sender/gauge - How to hook up oil pressure switch

OK,
I bought an autometer oil pressure gauge, and had planned to just run it off the port behind the distributor, and not touch the unit by the oil filter. That old fitting isn't coming out. I'm gonna give it 'til tommorow with some penetrant, but I'm now looking at other alternatives. Questions are:

A) Can I run the new gauge off the port by the filter, and simply NOT plug in the oil pressure switch for the fuel pump?

B) Is that stupid? Older cars didn't have this, correct?

C) is there a way to run my new autometer sender and still keep that oil pressure switch?

Thanks,
-Boob
Old 07-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Send a message via AIM to camaronewbie
Re: Aftermarket Oil sender/gauge - How to hook up oil pressure switch

The OPSU at the oil filter, if it is the 3 wire job, runs the OEM guage and has the fuel pump circuit as you mentioned. Not sure if this helps any, but as an FYI...

On my car I took the two wires for the fuel pump circuit, and I have them connected together using a relay - that is wiring my fuel pump on when my key is on. The 3rd wire that was for the guage, I have connected to the older style oil pressure guage that I installed there (oil filter), so that my OEM guage still works. (I've done this 'cause I swapped to carb and ditched the ECM, fuel pump relay, etc - I was originally TBI).

I guess what I'm trying to infer is that, the single wire of the 3 that sends signal to the OEM guage works fine with or without the fuel pump wires. Not sure if that helps you.
700R4 B&M Shift Kit LS1 Disc Rear w/3.42 Posi
Poly Bushings Eibach Prokit Bilstein Shocks/Struts
HOK Candy Teal on Silver Flake IROC Hood
camaronewbie is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Send a message via AIM to camaronewbie

Oh - also....FYI

If you connect the fuel pump wires from the OPSU together, the fuel pump will run, ALWAYS, regardless of the key - that circuit gets a direct connection to the battery.

I'm assuming the new guage has it's own sender that you need to use. The simplest thing I guess would be to remove old OPSU, pull the connector up to the top of the engine bay and tuck the connector away so you'll have access to it later (in case you need an emergency way to make the fuel pump run), and install the new sender for the new guage there. This way, you should still have fuel pump run from ECM (I think - I'd love to know for sure if you try this!).
700R4 B&M Shift Kit LS1 Disc Rear w/3.42 Posi
Poly Bushings Eibach Prokit Bilstein Shocks/Struts
HOK Candy Teal on Silver Flake IROC Hood
camaronewbie is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #4

Car: 1989 Iroc
Engine: L98
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Well, after a lot of cursing, Wd40, and more cursing, I was able to get that plug up on the china wall out, so I'm going that route. I appreciate to info and ideas.

...one thing I was thinking about though, when I had almost given up on the upper connection idea: Why not run a "T" down by the filter? Hook up the new send completely independant, just like I'm gonna do up top, and keep the entire old sender and switch together, working the same as it does now?

Thanks again.
Abubaca is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
Supreme Member

Car: 90 Vette / 67 Camaro / 87 Vette
Engine: 383 SP EFI /383 LT1 /L98 TPI
Transmission: T400 /200R4 /T700
Axle/Gears: 9" 3.90 /12 Bolt 4.11 /D44 3.07

Classifieds Rating: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
...one thing I was thinking about though, when I had almost given up on the upper connection idea: Why not run a "T" down by the filter? Hook up the new send completely independant, just like I'm gonna do up top, and keep the entire old sender and switch together, working the same as it does now?
Doesn't matter where you access OP.
Ultimately you would have it at the front of engine ( older SBC blocks had the the oil gallery tapped and plugged there ) so as to get earliest indication of oil pressure change as a result of the OP sender being furtherest from the pump
vetteoz is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:22 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tags
350, 3rd, 700r4, aftermarket, car, gauge, gauges, gen, guage, hook, hookup, oil, pressure, sender, switch, tbi, working