Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine
Register Forgot Password?

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
Sponsored by Weld Racing
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Supreme Member

Car: 85 Iroc-Z
Engine: 383 TPI Procharger D1SC
Transmission: TKO600
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.73

Classifieds Rating: (2)
Bent Pushrod, Is lifter bad also?

I just tore my motor apart looking to solve a knocking noise that the motor was making. I found that it had a bent pushrod. However, after reassembling the motor the noise is still there. Could a bad lifter be causing my noise? Or maybe a bad cam lobe?
Comp Cams XFI roller 224/230 @.050 .566"/.569" lift 112 LSA, AFR 195cc heads, Dyno Don 1 3/4" headers, TKO-600, UMI Lower Control Arms, Relocation Brackets, Subframe Connectors, Adj. Panhard Bar, Tunnel Mounted Adj. Torque Arm, Caster/Camber Plates, A Arms, 36mm/24mm sway bars, Strange S60
85Iroc-Z is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LO3
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: stock

Classifieds Rating: (97)
Re: Bent Pushrod, Is lifter bad also?

How did the pushrod get bent? If it wasn't allowed to push the valve open normally because the valve hit something like a piston and stopped it, perhaps that is how it happened. If so, the valve probably has a problem now. Or the valve guide, etc.
henryd3 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
Supreme Member

I don't know how it got bent. I just found that it was bent when I took the motor apart.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Supreme Member

Car: 87 IROC Z28
Engine: 355 cid TPI, very built
Transmission: Pro Built Automatic w/3,500 stall
Axle/Gears: 3.27 Limited slip

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Factory push rods are not very strong. A binding rocker arm or worn and binding valve guide may have caused the bent push rod. These push rods get softer with heat also. Verify the valve is good with a compression test, and if compression is low, a cylinder leakage test. If the valve is okay, inspect the lifter and cam lobe. Your 85 uses a flat tappet cam. The lobe may be flattened.

87 IROC Z28, 355 TPI, 10.2:1, 6" rods, balanced, clearanced, TFS G2 heads fully ported, ZZX Cam, ported Superram base, large tube runners, 1 3/4 pri coated stainless short tube, 58mmTB on ported plenum, ram air, high flow air lid, 24lb bosch @ 70 psi, ACCEL DFI, MSD D6, funct hood louvers, etc. SSM SFCs, Hotchkis rear links& strt twr brace, Eibach Sportline, Koni Red S&S, PST bushings, Ed's 13" w/WW 4 piston calipers in front, LS1s in back. GTA seats, MOMO wheel, B&M Megashifter
ASE doc is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #5

Car: several
Engine: Lots of them
Transmission: also lots of them
Axle/Gears: lots of them

what setup do you have is it stock? What ratio rocker arms? guide plates? what springs if not stock? what cam? what noise are you refering too? while it's true that factory pushrods are not relativly very strong you can still pick up the motor with a pair of them and not bend them. It usually takes quite a bit to bend one they don't just decide to wake up one morning and fold over something got bound up, or came to a sudden stop somewhere you just need to find it. Worn off cam lobes don't make noise it's completely silent when one goes. I'd say the problem exists in the heads.

~Couch

Thanks ericscorpse2 for the sig!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewR9IF9XF8

Friends don't let Friends drive Honda's

Last edited by NAASBC355; 08-05-2010 at 12:55 PM.
NAASBC355 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #6
Supreme Member

There is a knocking noise coming from inside the motor. It has a comp cams camshaft in it (specs in sig) and it has comp lifters and springs as well. The heads are stock, stock 1.5 rockers, and no guide plates. I got a new lifter for it, should I go back in again and change it?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #7

Car: several
Engine: Lots of them
Transmission: also lots of them
Axle/Gears: lots of them

Are you sure it's a lifter and not a worn out exhaust valve guide? Listen to the motor through a rubber hose and it will take you right too the source.

~Couch

Thanks ericscorpse2 for the sig!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewR9IF9XF8

Friends don't let Friends drive Honda's
NAASBC355 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:58 PM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tags
bad, bent, broken, car, crank, knocking, lifter, make, noise, noisy, push, pushrod, pushrods, rod, sound