Search

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine
Register Forgot Password?

Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
Sponsored by Weld Racing
Click Here

Welcome to ThirdGen.org!
Welcome to ThirdGen.org.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join the ThirdGen.org community today!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #1

Classifieds Rating: (2)
Moving an engine

So I found a 350 for my latest project for sale locally. I've got a buddy with a big pickup and an engine stand waiting at home. Just wondering what the best way to load and unload this engine would be, as well as the best way to secure it for the ride. It's an in town ride so shouldn't be far. I don't have a cherry picker at the house, and I really dont think we can lift a 600 pound monster just the two of us. Any suggestions?
startat2 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 AM   #2

Car: 86 Z28
Engine: Built 312
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.73

Re: Moving an engine

If you get a couple buddies to help you move it, it can be loaded and unloaded that way. Spend the money on a cherry picker- it's well worth the $150....typically you can find a used one on craigslist for 1/2 that.

If your buddy has tie downs in his bed, use rope to secure it front/back and side to side. Use some wood to keep it level....do NOT support it on the crank snout/balancer, or flexplate. Just use the oil pan.

I transported one home once in a Blazer once- used the back seat and tailgate to keep it locked in place, and a small metal tackle box to support the 'front' under the oil pan.
HawkZ28 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkZ28 View Post
If you get a couple buddies to help you move it, it can be loaded and unloaded that way. Spend the money on a cherry picker- it's well worth the $150....typically you can find a used one on craigslist for 1/2 that.

If your buddy has tie downs in his bed, use rope to secure it front/back and side to side. Use some wood to keep it level....do NOT support it on the crank snout/balancer, or flexplate. Just use the oil pan.

I transported one home once in a Blazer once- used the back seat and tailgate to keep it locked in place, and a small metal tackle box to support the 'front' under the oil pan.
Thanks for the advice. I have a built LS1 in my fourth gen, but did very little of the work myself. I found me a 3rd gen and want to do this one as single handedly as possible!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #4
Supreme Member

Car: 1992 RS
Engine: Carbed 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Classifieds Rating: (0)

Send a message via AIM to camaronewbie

You can also rent a picker from any local tool rental shop.
700R4 B&M Shift Kit LS1 Disc Rear w/3.42 Posi
Poly Bushings Eibach Prokit Bilstein Shocks/Struts
HOK Candy Teal on Silver Flake IROC Hood
camaronewbie is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #5

Car: 1990 Camaro RS
Engine: 383 (Needs To Be Installed)
Axle/Gears: 2.73 (Going to 3.42)

Classifieds Rating: (3)

If you putting it in a truck get a 17 or 18 inch junk tire off the rim from a tire place they'll give you one if you tell them what your using it for since they don't have to dispose of it then. When you move the engine places the oil pan in the middle of the tire and set the engine down. The tire wall will flex and support the engine holding it still. Tie the ropes to keep the engine from swaying side to side and you'll be good to go. That's how I move all my engines. I have a 18 inch bald tire thats only purpose is to cradle engines during hauiling. in the pickup truck.

Hope that helps.
Werewolf SS is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:25 PM   #6

Car: '84 & '86 Camaros
Engine: building turbo 5.3L, & 3.4L
Transmission: 4L80E & 700R-4
Axle/Gears: TBD & 3.42:1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf SS View Post
If you putting it in a truck get a 17 or 18 inch junk tire off the rim from a tire place they'll give you one if you tell them what your using it for since they don't have to dispose of it then. When you move the engine places the oil pan in the middle of the tire and set the engine down. The tire wall will flex and support the engine holding it still. Tie the ropes to keep the engine from swaying side to side and you'll be good to go. That's how I move all my engines. I have a 18 inch bald tire thats only purpose is to cradle engines during hauiling. in the pickup truck.

Hope that helps.
I do the same, but it's an old 235/60R15 tire. Most any size is better than no tire at all.
ronnjonn is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 305 (LO3)
Axle/Gears: 2.73?

Classifieds Rating: (1)

grab a engine cradle if you plan to rebuild it...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-910057/
gwarren007 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by startat2 View Post
So I found a 350 for my latest project for sale locally. I've got a buddy with a big pickup and an engine stand waiting at home. Just wondering what the best way to load and unload this engine would be, as well as the best way to secure it for the ride. It's an in town ride so shouldn't be far. I don't have a cherry picker at the house, and I really dont think we can lift a 600 pound monster just the two of us. Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarren007 View Post
grab a engine cradle if you plan to rebuild it...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-910057/
To Gwarren Reading FTW. To OP = The tire way is the way I have always done it also. Works great and it is always easy to find a used bald tire for free and if you don't want to keep the tire its only like $2.50 to take it to a different tire shop than the one you got it from get it disposed of.
John2005 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #9

Thats a nice cradle, however I already have an engine stand. Looks like I need to get my hands on a junk tire! Thanks again for the reply
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #10

Car: 1990 Iroc, 1984 Buick Regal
Engine: 5.7, ZZ4 crate w/FIRST injection
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73, 4.11

I use a 245/75/16 load range E tire... This is the best way...
myzblubyu is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 PM   #11

Car: 89 Formula
Engine: 305 (LO3)
Axle/Gears: 2.73?

Classifieds Rating: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2005 View Post
To Gwarren Reading FTW....
I did read that the OP has a engine STAND. I still encourage anyone who rebuilds thier engine to invest in an engine cradle. It allows you to move the engine around (including transporting to/from machine shop) without damage.

The tire way may work, but I'm not trusting my 1k+ engine to a tire.
gwarren007 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #12

Car: 1987 Camaro Z28
Engine: 355ci, XE262 , 650dp
Transmission: T-5, RAM clutch
Axle/Gears: 3.23 limited slip

make a cradle out of wood... its easy, cheap, and will work fine as long the oil filter is off.

to the OP for wanting to do the work yourself
TNT_Z28 is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #13
Supreme Member

Car: 83 DT500;88 T/A GTA;92 Heritage RS
Engine: 305CFI; LT1; 305 TBI
Transmission: 700R4; T56; 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:23 disk; 4:10 disk ; 2:73 drum

Classifieds Rating: (34)

Send a message via AIM to 84redta

three guys and the back of my sunfire, interesting time moving an engine from Long Island to upstate new york (4 hr drive). 4 guys should be able to handle it, but a cherry picker is golden in these situations. If anything, 3 guys and put a 2X6 board diagonally on the tail gate and slide it down slowly so its not a free carry.
84redta is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:04 PM   #14

Well to all those involved thanks for the info! We got it loaded complete with a tire and tie downs with no issues. Unloading it however was a different story. We ended up breaking the alternator bracket, but otherwise it come out unscathed! When I get ready to move it after tear down for machine work, I likely will go with both the engine stand and the 2x6. As I stated before, I want to do as much as possible on my own, and thanks for the great advice !
Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 PM   #15

Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

I normally put an engine onto a tire when in the back of a pickup truck but a cradle made from a bunch of 2x4's is very easy to make. The cradle I built many years ago still has a 400 block sitting on it.
AlkyIROC is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #16

Car: '84 & '86 Camaros
Engine: building turbo 5.3L, & 3.4L
Transmission: 4L80E & 700R-4
Axle/Gears: TBD & 3.42:1

If you leave a bad tire in the bed of your pickup while you're in the salvage yard, cool. But a wooden cradle may get stolen. Many salvage yards can get you another tire for a couple of dollars if yours gets stolen.
For salvage yard finds, the tire is good enough. On the trip home from the machine shop, that's when I could see using a cradle of some sort, though I've done fine with my bad tire.
ronnjonn is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM   #17
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by startat2 View Post
Well to all those involved thanks for the info! We got it loaded complete with a tire and tie downs with no issues. Unloading it however was a different story. We ended up breaking the alternator bracket, but otherwise it come out unscathed! When I get ready to move it after tear down for machine work, I likely will go with both the engine stand and the 2x6. As I stated before, I want to do as much as possible on my own, and thanks for the great advice !

you are a wise man understanding that a used engine should be torn down and sent to the machine shop.
torque_is_good is offline vBGarage Page   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:03 AM
ThirdGen
1992 Camaro

Paid Advertisement

Go Back   Third Generation F-Body Message Boards > Tech Boards > Tech / General Engine

Tags
350, cradle, dolly, engine, gm, loaded, moving, pickup, plans, sbc, stand, tire, trans, transport, transporting