Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Problems getting my 91 RS to stay running... Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems getting my 91 RS to stay running... Any ideas?

I just bought this car, idk how long it had sat before I bought it. I towed it home and had the battery and alternator replaced. I tried starting the car and it starts but quickly dies( with in a few seconds) and I can restart the car right after it dies and it will start up again and die within a few seconds. Like I said I can continuously start the car after it dies... It has no problem starting it just won't stay running. I need help... I'm looking for any ideas/known common problems for issues like this.. My next step is gonna be to check the fuel pressure, I read that the pressure in the fuel lines can be too low causing a car not to stay running. But I just want to know if anyone has/had a problem like this before or knows what I should check out on my car.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:00 PM

Re: Problems getting my 91 RS to stay running... Any ideas?

we checked the fuel pressure and everything seems to be right, however the car still wont stay running only starts for a few seconds then shuts off again.. any ideas?
Old 10-14-2012, 02:39 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

put new gas in it.

check the wires to the temp sender in the intake manifold. they can cause some weird problems if one of them is broken or if the insulation has shrunk back from the connector and the wires short together.

which engine does it have?
Old 10-14-2012, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by novaderrik
put new gas in it.

check the wires to the temp sender in the intake manifold. they can cause some weird problems if one of them is broken or if the insulation has shrunk back from the connector and the wires short together.

which engine does it have?

It has a V6 3.1L Engine.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Originally Posted by 91CamaroRs(help
It has a V6 3.1L Engine.
It is common for the stock Multec injector coils to short causing them to stop injecting fuel. Any that are under 12 ohms are bad.

Check the wiring at the ignition coil, some harnesses are incorrectly routed and chafe through on the bracket.

Fuel pressure needs to be between 43 & 47 psi with the engine running and vacuum line off the FPR.

If it has an auto transmission an idle learn procedure is required whenever the battery has been disconnected. Use my name and "idle + learn" in a search on the V6 board here.

RBob.

P.S. and welcome to TGO