Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel pump won't stop priming?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans am GTA
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: t56 6 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.45
Fuel pump won't stop priming?

I just found this issue with my fuel pump, when I turn the ignition (engine not on) and you usually hear the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds and then stop but mine doesn't stop priming, just keeps whining and the engine won't start, just cranks. Anyone know what this could be? I'm really hoping it's not that my fuel pump has died. Would it do this if the car barely has any gas?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: 82 Z28
Engine: 383 SP EFI/ 4150 TB
Transmission: T400
Axle/Gears: QP 9" 3.73
Re: Fuel pump won't stop priming?

Originally Posted by Firechicken86
t mine doesn't stop priming, just keeps whining and the engine won't start, just cranks.
Time to check your fuel pressure at the engine to see if the pump is working
Old 06-03-2013, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by vetteoz
Time to check your fuel pressure at the engine to see if the pump is working
Thanks for the reply. This may be a stupid question but how do I go about checking the pressure? I also remembered that when I got it running about 2 weeks ago (was sitting for months due to dash swap) I couldn't put the accelerator down hard otherwise the engine would choke for a second and stumble and it seemed to be running very rich. Is this symptoms of a fuel pump going bad?
Old 06-03-2013, 11:36 PM

I noticed that while my fuel pump is constantly priming there is a hissing sound in the engine bay if that means anything
Old 06-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '91 Z28
Engine: L98 5.7L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 323's

i don't believe the pump would be going bad... it's doing what it's being commanded to do. when you start it, does it start right up regardless of how long the pump has been 'priming'? there is a switch in the ecm that signals that prime function. that input is fed from the ignition module in the distributor. once the engine is cranking, the pump is re-energized. if there is no rotation, there would be no more prime. not an expert on it all, but sounds to me like the switch in the ecm is 'sticking'. with that said, i would definitely verify before replacing ecm. there is a relay for the pump, too, that could possibly be sticking as well. would probly make more sense than the switch in the ecm - let alone much cheaper to replace... but my bet would be on the relay.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by thunderstick
i don't believe the pump would be going bad... it's doing what it's being commanded to do. when you start it, does it start right up regardless of how long the pump has been 'priming'? there is a switch in the ecm that signals that prime function. that input is fed from the ignition module in the distributor. once the engine is cranking, the pump is re-energized. if there is no rotation, there would be no more prime. not an expert on it all, but sounds to me like the switch in the ecm is 'sticking'. with that said, i would definitely verify before replacing ecm. there is a relay for the pump, too, that could possibly be sticking as well. would probly make more sense than the switch in the ecm - let alone much cheaper to replace... but my bet would be on the relay.
The engine doesn't start, it just cranks. It's getting fuel to the motor because I opened up the schrader valve and pushed the pin and gas sprayed out. I've tried replacing the fuel pump relay but no difference. I'm starting to suspect it's the ECM because I'm not even getting a check engine light when I turn the key halfway
Old 09-26-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88 Trans AM
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: BW T5

Originally Posted by Firechicken86
The engine doesn't start, it just cranks. It's getting fuel to the motor because I opened up the schrader valve and pushed the pin and gas sprayed out. I've tried replacing the fuel pump relay but no difference. I'm starting to suspect it's the ECM because I'm not even getting a check engine light when I turn the key halfway
I'm wondering if you ever fixed the problem? My 88 Firebird is doing the exact same thing. I thought it was a bad ICM but it's not. I can drive the car for a couple days before it shuts off. It starts up a few days later but ends up doing the same thing. The pump keeps on priming with the key on engine off.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by thunderstick

Would it have anything to do with the injectors?! I'm in the same boat...😒
Old 10-25-2017, 11:11 AM
Sponsor

Received 644 Likes on 569 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

Stuck ops or relay.