Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Apparently I got screwed...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Chimera
Engine: 1994 LO5 5.7L
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 2.73...?
'88 Formula Chronicles

jj

Last edited by tyeo098; 01-31-2016 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11
Re: Apparently I got screwed...

Been looking at used cars for months not once have I not found the seller to be absolutely f.o.s.

The appearance and smoking of the motor shoulda been a clue that the owner could give a ratts butt about it but it is what it is an 800 buck car that runs.

Now you gotta decide to cut your losses and sell or dump lots of coin into it.
Unless youre just in love with the car Id sell, save for anice sorted out one and be very patient/picky. There are lower miles nice ones out there for reasonable buy youll spend many hrs on CL looking. They are out there
Old 06-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Car: 1984 Z28 L69
Engine: 350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

IMO, I would not even bother with it. I have about 1100 bucks into my car including the cost of the car and it runs...okay for the most part. You are going to spend a ton of money on the car just to get it close to being right. probably another thousand in parts alone just for the engine. If you were looking for a project, then it is a good start, but you can probably find one in better condition. Also to check the engine size, it is stamped on the drivers side rear of the block, right behind the drivers side head. It should say either 5.7 then the block code, or 5.0 and the block code.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Well, Chalk it up in "make you more aware next time" category. $800......you got a great car, and with some determination, time, money, and patience, you too will have a beautiful 3rd gen Formula.
PS: Check out some of the members ride build threads. Some of them are just amazing from what they started with.
You'll get there, just don't let it get to ya!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 1987 iroc
Engine: 383 TPIS intake, Dyno Don headers
Transmission: 700R4 w/Pro-built Auto/transgo 2-3
Axle/Gears: 3.27/3.70 borg warner 9 bolt

Well. how is the basic foundation? The body, no rust, drivetrain, etc? Any used car you buy will need maintenance. Were you expecting a daily driver for $800? You buy a car for $2500 and will put another $5000 into it, or any combination of that you can think of. I think you and your Dad have a good father-son project that you should have fun with. Stick as little or as much as you want into it. Not every one on here has made the "Great deal" when buying their cars. I probably paid too much for mine when i bought it, but i didn't care cause that's what i wanted. You will never find a very good car any more for $800, Just have fun with it.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see why people give up on a car so easily. As long as the foundation is good I.E. not badly rusted, it is a good project car. Yes, it needs an engine or a rebuild. The good thing about it is once you do that, it should be good for another 200k if properly maintained. The rest of the problems you will find in almost any 20+ year old car. I wouldn't say you got screwed. IDK what you expected from an $800 car, but this is pretty much what I would. 800 is squat nowadays and this car will part out for more than that if the panels are rust free. I see rolling bodies selling for around that, this one runs at least. It's much more satisfying to drive a car that you made the way you want it than just buying one and driving it IMO. A before and after pic of mine to give a little inspiration. Saved from a junk yard as just a rolling body.Yes I sunk some coin in it, but it is paid for and will stay with me until I die.

Name:  100_0310_zps399db275.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  102.6 KB
Old 06-12-2014, 09:50 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Joe Tag
I don't see why people give up on a car so easily. As long as the foundation is good I.E. not badly rusted, it is a good project car. Yes, it needs an engine or a rebuild. The good thing about it is once you do that, it should be good for another 200k if properly maintained. The rest of the problems you will find in almost any 20+ year old car. I wouldn't say you got screwed. IDK what you expected from an $800 car, but this is pretty much what I would. 800 is squat nowadays and this car will part out for more than that if the panels are rust free. I see rolling bodies selling for around that, this one runs at least. It's much more satisfying to drive a car that you made the way you want it than just buying one and driving it IMO. A before and after pic of mine to give a little inspiration. Saved from a junk yard as just a rolling body.Yes I sunk some coin in it, but it is paid for and will stay with me until I die.

Now THAT'S inspiration tyeo098
Old 06-12-2014, 09:57 AM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

1) So you bought a non-rusted '88 Formula for 800 bucks and have a rough running, oil burning engine? Roll up your sleeves and get to work. That's what people are paying for rollers.

2) Don't expect any kindness for your car from LS1tech.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Fyi that is NOT a lt1. Tbi motor most likely the original 305 or it was rebuilt.

Looks like it's eating water, valve stem seals would be my first guess.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:20 AM

You guys rock, and seriously Joe Tag, that is one hell of a car. Thank you for the much needed inspiration!

There is some spot rust here and there (a small section under the hood, the underbody has some) but nothing to the point that cant be fixed. I'll take more pics when I go up on the 4th.

My mom is just glad I'll stop buying more milsurp guns lol

First order of business would be to get the current engine working better. Compression test and leakdown. I'm gonna get into the valve area a figure out how bad that is, if that is the source of the smoking. If not I'll tear off the heads and see just how messed up the cylinder walls are.

Well, I'm off to the how-to section to figure out how to do a rebuild.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 546 Likes on 376 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z. Original owner
Engine: LB9. Dual Cats. Big Cam
Transmission: World Class T-5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.45

Originally Posted by tyeo098
You guys rock, and seriously Joe Tag, that is one hell of a car. Thank you for the much needed inspiration!

There is some spot rust here and there (a small section under the hood, the underbody has some) but nothing to the point that cant be fixed. I'll take more pics when I go up on the 4th.

My mom is just glad I'll stop buying more milsurp guns lol

First order of business would be to get the current engine working better. Compression test and leakdown. I'm gonna get into the valve area a figure out how bad that is, if that is the source of the smoking. If not I'll tear off the heads and see just how messed up the cylinder walls are.

Well, I'm off to the how-to section to figure out how to do a rebuild.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Supreme Member

Thank you. It's not the fastest, nor the prettiest here, but it's mine and I love it.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:12 AM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 6.0L LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by Joe Tag
Thank you. It's not the fastest, nor the prettiest here, but it's mine and I love it.
I'm not quite in the same boat as I've had mine since I was 15 and she LOOKS great from the outside (minus some cracking in the paint on the front ground effects). But smokes the same and I've got to get to work to return her to her former glory. 220k miles I'm not too disappointed.

I say all that to say this. And the guys on here could chime in with probably better information BUT I found a video yesterday that lays out disassembly, what is done to the block at the machine shop, and reassembly of a SB 350. Definitely worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFB3_jgh6yQ

Good luck and the biggest thing I can say is DON'T GIVE UP!
Old 06-13-2014, 08:38 AM

I'm slowly amassing the parts needed to restore her.
Locally in VA I found some T-tops for 80$ and a good alt for 30.

Dad and I were looking at ebay engines, L98, he says a guy he works with rebuilds engines all the time, how hard can it be? Lol
Old 06-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Supreme Member

Received 384 Likes on 328 Posts
Car: 1983 G20 Chevy
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 4L60
Axle/Gears: 14 bolt with 3.07 gears

PO said this was recently rebuilt: " has the 91 lt1 350 engine rebuilt new ring bearings racing cam runs and drives great no rust needs to be painted has a couple small dings"

I was thinking when I saw a thread here... if PO thought it was an LT1, and used LT1 rings in the build of a gen1 sbc... arent those rings smaller? Wouldnt that cause oil to slip by them?

They all figured out the engine was the 'wimpy' L03 and informed me to just crush the car to put it out of its misery....
Well thats no fun.
My dad isnt convinced its a 305 with 'that huge intake on it' but... I guess it is.

Is there anyway after repairing the engine, if its worth it to, to squeeze a few more ponies out of it?
Good chance it is still the L03, but the casting numbers on the back of the block or the 5.0/5.7L stamp on the rear driverside by the bellhousing will tell the tale.

The later model TBI 350s got the metric ring pack too. I built a 350 from a 92 G20 van that had the narrow metric ring pack from the factory. Any person with mechanical knowledge would have checked the ring side clearance and known that something was up.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Ok so, my father and I were on our way to NY when he started telling me a story of his his friend in high school bought a nice Thunderbird off an old lady who had it squared away in her barn for a few years...

Needless to say I started perusing the local craigslist, and by the time we had reached our destination in NY, we had settled on buying a 1988 Firebird formula... particularly the one shown below!

PO gave us some newish kinda tired which he took off and put on with the help of his big truck and a tire iron. That was interesting.

He also noted that this was not the original engine, but an LT1 from a '92 Camaro. Small block 350. Neat.

Now apparently the PO was trying to pull a fast one one me... and topped it up with oil and charged the battery, becuase I was able to drive it home, but by the time I had gotten back (about an hour) you could see exactly where I had been by following the oil smoke cloud. Dipstick as well showed I was kinda low on the slippery stuff. Stop by walmart, buy more and more oil (and more oil) and provisions to change the oil at our house.

That oil filter is a PITA to get off. (According to my father :P ) but we were able to change the oil and add some stop-smoke to it.

Total work done:
Oil/filter change
Breather filter change (was dirty)
Vaccummed
Fluid top off

After all this was done we decidied to take the T tops off and go for a cruise. Stopping here and there at the small town's general store, generally showing off.

The engine feels like it has an anchor tied to it. I drive a S/C 4cyl Cobalt, so I was kind of expecting... more... from a V8.

Stop at the dollar general in town to get some food, get back in the car to start it up, and it starts... then dies. Starts.... then dies. Battery is exteremely low. Keep in mind we were starting and stopping it all day, as well as playing with the lights (driver side light motor gone dead) but we were able to get a jump.

As soon as we took the donor battery off the engine started to have trouble... then died. We called our lovely neighbor who dropped a fresh battery off for us to use to power the car back to the house.

Alternator is deadsies.

All in all, for 800$ I was glad it rolled. Everything else should be fixable.

Notable problems I have noticed now, engine related:
Smoke from tailpipe under load. Light smoke when idle, but give it some gas for the Jamed Bond effect
Smoke coming from breather
PCV was dirty/oily and replaced, along with breather filter
Dead alternator

When adding oil to the car doing the oil change, I noted that under the valve cover was an awful sludgy mess. We ran some motor-medic de-sludger when we changed the oil, but it seemed to persist post-change.

In doing some research, this may be what is causing my smoke problem, clogged oil drain ports. But I wondered, if the port is clogged... and that is where I added the oil... how is the oil getting to the rest of the engine? I sure didnt have 6qt of oil sitting in the driver valve cover... it was going somewhere?

With regards to the power, I'm thinking that some cyl's arent firing right. Maybe the timing is off or it ate enough oil to prevent the plug from sparking...

PO gave me a sob story how his father had used the car a lot, then the original motor went bad, and he rebuilt it. Took it for a 5 mile drive then went blind in 1 eye, couldnt drive it anymore, got depressed and wanted to sell it.

So supposedly it was recently rebuilt... I'm guessing not very well. Its been sitting for a while though.

Heres a video of the engine running while we were troubleshooting, the air filter was removed.
Firebird Engine - YouTube

Please ignore my ramblings...

The odometer says 140xxx, but I'm assuming that is for the original motor, and not whatever this one has on it.

PO said this was recently rebuilt: " has the 91 lt1 350 engine rebuilt new ring bearings racing cam runs and drives great no rust needs to be painted has a couple small dings"

But I'm slowly finding out that that is a giant pile of lies.

The interior isnt TOO bad, the upholstry on the seats are toast, but I was planning to ditch the rear seat anyways and drop some cool bucket seats in the front. Water gaskets all around the car are dryrotted, and it seriously needs a coat of paint!

I was thinking when I saw a thread here... if PO thought it was an LT1, and used LT1 rings in the build of a gen1 sbc... arent those rings smaller? Wouldnt that cause oil to slip by them?

Some info from a Vin Decoder site:
And here is an MMS I sent to my gf showing a little more...

Firebird interior - YouTube

I'll to wait until July 4 to take more

How did y'all determine it was a 350? I never got that much... Gen 1 SBC was all I got, and a bunch of other words lol.

Here is another video I found on my phone. Shows it smoking like a chainsmoker...

Firebird smoke - YouTube

EDIT: And I guess I found out why the engine was replaced?

People on LS1tech can be meeeeean! (To the car at least)

They all figured out the engine was the 'wimpy' L03 and informed me to just crush the car to put it out of its misery....
Well thats no fun.
My dad isnt convinced its a 305 with 'that huge intake on it' but... I guess it is.

Is there anyway after repairing the engine, if its worth it to, to squeeze a few more ponies out of it?
I gave $500 for a total basket case. now $13,000 later and I still have a ways to go , don't give up,and you can have a nice car in the end. AND its cheaper than a strip club!!
Old 06-13-2014, 01:09 PM

Car: 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 6.0L LQ4
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Originally Posted by rusty vango
AND its cheaper than a strip club!!
lol
Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 PM

Dad went and found some rebuilt engines online with a 5yr warranty and free shipping!

Camaro L98's I believe, and they are under a grand.

First things first, we discussed today. We're going to tear apart our engine to see

1) What the heck it actually is. LO3, L98 w/ TBI, etc since we have no idea what Red Neckerton (the previous owner) went and put in it.
2) Run some diags on it (compression, leakdown, etc) to see where the heck all that oil is coming from.
3) Rent a trailer and drag it back to my girlfriends house here in VA where here familys army of Mexicans (yes, they are Mexican) will probably get bored and fix the thing before I even get a chance to look at it.

Guy locally has new-ish seats that aren't torn up like mine for 200$, front and rear, and another local guy has 92 Camaro T-tops for 80$...

If the oil is coming from someplace other than the piston rings, I'll probably see if I can fix that with some AutoZone parts and drive it back. Else its going on a Uhaul.

Anyone know if I can use the dolly-style trailer or do I have to use the full style?

Once its back here I'll get a lot more pictures and info and start tearing at it fo' real.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Supreme Member

A full size U-Haul car hauler is better than a dolly and not that much more money. Plus your not turning the rear end and tranny shaft like you would on a dolly.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Supreme Member

Dad went and found some rebuilt engines online with a 5yr warranty and free shipping!

Camaro L98's I believe, and they are under a grand.

First things first, we discussed today. We're going to tear apart our engine to see

1) What the heck it actually is. LO3, L98 w/ TBI, etc since we have no idea what Red Neckerton (the previous owner) went and put in it.
2) Run some diags on it (compression, leakdown, etc) to see where the heck all that oil is coming from.
3) Rent a trailer and drag it back to my girlfriends house here in VA where here familys army of Mexicans (yes, they are Mexican) will probably get bored and fix the thing before I even get a chance to look at it.

Guy locally has new-ish seats that aren't torn up like mine for 200$, front and rear, and another local guy has 92 Camaro T-tops for 80$...

If the oil is coming from someplace other than the piston rings, I'll probably see if I can fix that with some AutoZone parts and drive it back. Else its going on a Uhaul.

Anyone know if I can use the dolly-style trailer or do I have to use the full style?

Once its back here I'll get a lot more pictures and info and start tearing at it fo' real.
there are much better places to buy engine parts than auto zone. I find most everything I need at oreilleys AND if you choose well ,you can do pretty good
Old 06-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Well I cant find an O’Reilly's near Binghamton, NY lol
Old 06-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Supreme Member

well, theres always summit and jegs!! but seriously, vato zone??!!
Old 06-22-2014, 11:18 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock

DONT and I mean DONT send it to the crusher. PLEASE! These cars took a beating at that stupid cash for clunkers BS that went on a couple of years ago. I remember going to a junk yard looking for some parts. The owner told me, oh yeah, we had a bunch of 3rd gent birds and camaros, but we go cash from the gov. to crush them. I wanted to cry, lol. But seriously, at 800 bucks, I would have bought the car even if not running.
Do it JUSTICE and bring it back. Its rewarding and you will LOVE the car.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by Hawkeye1980
Do it JUSTICE and bring it back. Its rewarding and you will LOVE the car.
Honestly this is probably true for all of us. Once you start working on the car its almost addicting!!!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Ghettobird52
Honestly this is probably true for all of us. Once you start working on the car its almost addicting!!!
Yes and it can be as pricey as a crack habit, difference is, you have something to show for it when you're done.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:03 AM

In finishing a 308 Mauser build last night I was watched 2 series on rebuilding a 350 from bottom-end to top-end.

Needless to say I'm an expert now :P

I'm pretty stoked just to get back up to NY on the 4th and take more of a look around and take some more pictures for you guys, AND find out if its a 305 or a 350, because I've seen a crap ton of 350 TBI's on this site that look just like me engine, but the L03 looks just like to too xD
Old 06-23-2014, 09:16 AM
Supreme Member

In finishing a 308 Mauser build last night I was watched 2 series on rebuilding a 350 from bottom-end to top-end.

Needless to say I'm an expert now :P

I'm pretty stoked just to get back up to NY on the 4th and take more of a look around and take some more pictures for you guys, AND find out if its a 305 or a 350, because I've seen a crap ton of 350 TBI's on this site that look just like me engine, but the L03 looks just like to too xD
got any 8mm mausers lying around that you don't need?
Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM

got any 8mm mausers lying around that you don't need?
PM sent, lets keep this thread about my other parts hodgepodge, the Firebird lol
Old 06-23-2014, 10:31 AM
Supreme Member

PM sent, lets keep this thread about my other parts hodgepodge, the Firebird lol
fair enough.for parts,i use "hawks third gen" they have about anything you could need for your bird.and like everyone is saying .for $800 you didn't do too bad! you could part it out and make good money.but fix it,if you haven't driven one of those on a nice twisty road.you, my friend are missing out!!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Supreme Member

Don't forget about these "parts places also." http://www.thirdgenranch.com/, http://tpiparts.net/gm?b=1, http://www.1aauto.com/1988-pontiac-f.../y-mo/1988-110, http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/, http://www.tpis.com/pages/383lt1, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ma...EBIRD,vtype,US, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...6028&_from=R40
Old 06-24-2014, 11:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula 350
Engine: 5.7
Axle/Gears: Stock

fair enough.for parts,i use "hawks third gen" they have about anything you could need for your bird.and like everyone is saying .for $800 you didn't do too bad! you could part it out and make good money.but fix it,if you haven't driven one of those on a nice twisty road.you, my friend are missing out!!
Amen to that. They are fun to drive especially on a twisty road!
Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Car: 1992 Camaro RS
Engine: Vortec headed 355, xe262
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.70

Thats definitely not an LT1. It's 99 percent probably just the stock non rebuilt 305. They may hve rebuilt it but obviously if they did they just made it worse or did a lazy version of a re-ring job. Maybe did something horrible like replaced a single rod bearing... who knows. Or maybe the original L03 blew up and they found a "running" motor from something else and swapped it in and found out that motor was just as terrible and didnt have the heart to work on it anymore. Doesnt really matter anyway.

The motor, even if it is hosed, isnt a big deal. A real LT1 (93-97 F-bodies) can be had for less than $1k with everything you need to put it in. 305's are often free. And rebuildable 350 cores are generally less than $500 (avoid non roller blocks). Engines are cheap compared to bodywork and paint.

And I agree with Joe Tag. These cars are actually pretty solid daily drivers in good condition, completely stock form. As soon as you need to start tweaking with things though, just consider it a blank slate to make it whatever you want it to be. Make it YOUR car. That doesnt mean go crazy on it, just build it into the car you want. Im very much a Camaro guy. I dont like the styling of the birds very much, but I've always loved the look of the formulas. Those things can look SO amazing. Incredibly clean lines on those.

Last edited by InfernalVortex; 06-24-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 AM

If it does turn out to be a 305 I'll just get it running the best I can while I work on the interior.

Then I buy a 350 core and build it up something pretty. Been watching lots of 350 build/howto videos on youtube and I'm kinda excited to try to build one myself.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:15 AM

Car: 86 T/A - 70 Z28/RS
Engine: Broke - 350
Transmission: 700R4 - M22
Axle/Gears: G80, 2.73 - ZQ9 G80 4.10

Originally Posted by InfernalVortex
A real LT1 (93-97 F-bodies) can be had for less than $1k with everything you need to put it in.
You do know that 70 Camaros came with LT1 motors....

...Gen I LT1 motors, not the Gen II 92-97 motors you're talking about though

If it does turn out to be a 305 I'll just get it running the best I can while I work on the interior.

Then I buy a 350 core and build it up something pretty. Been watching lots of 350 build/howto videos on youtube and I'm kinda excited to try to build one myself.
Good plan, Learn on the 305 prior to messing around with a 350 build. Other than the crank and bore size it's basically the same as a 350 when it comes to add ons.

I messed around with my 86 305 since I got it back in 2003 and it has been fun through the years. Now that the motor has a bad bearing I'm rebuilding a 350 roller block that I've had sitting around for a few years. Putting a little over $2K into with most of it being the price of the heads and cam. Then later adding a carb from QFT which would be another ~$500

Last edited by bestracing; 06-25-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by bestracing
You do know that 70 Camaros came with LT1 motors....

...Gen I LT1 motors, not the Gen II 92-97 motors you're talking about though
That's clearly not what this guy was trying to claim this was.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: modified 350
Transmission: high performance built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73

Keep your eye out for a rebuilt 350 with a carb on top.There are a million of them out there.Make sure it's in a car so you can check that everything is running properly.Try to find one with paper work for the rebuild.Be patient in your search.What I have learned over many years of buying cars is the parts will always cost more than the whole enchilada.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:54 AM

That's clearly not what this guy was trying to claim this was.
Just a little DRY humor is all

As far as what people claim they have, I can't count how many people I have come across claiming their LB9 was a L98
Old 06-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Supreme Member

Just a little DRY humor is all

As far as what people claim they have, I can't count how many people I have come across claiming their LB9 was a L98
I cant beleive how many times I've seen people claiming their LG4 or L03 is an LT1. I've seen this at least a half dozen times on here... It's VERY easy to tell those apart, but people always want to sell the base model 305's as LT1's for some reason. And I know this, because people always make these stupid comments about how it's an LT1 from a 71 Corvette or whatever... just combine the "Corvette motor!" stuff and the "oh it's an LT1" stuff into one massive pile of deceit. If that's what your humor was directed at, then well-played. I'm just so used to seeing people be serious about it at this point that I missed it.

At least with the LB9 vs L98 they MIGHT not really know. It's an understandable mistake.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '10 Subaru Forester
Engine: 2.5 Boxer
Transmission: 4EAT
Axle/Gears: 4.44

Gary's U-pull-it is where I got my thirdgen parts back in the day when I lived in Vestal... actually stripped lots of goodies out of an '88 Formula with an LO3 there in fact... 12 years ago. lol
Old 06-27-2014, 08:53 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt

Only $800? Dude, that's an awesome deal if it's not totally rusted out, go to work on it. For that price you can afford to have EVERYTHING rebuilt and redone and come out with a great thirdgen!
Old 06-27-2014, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt

Yup, LB9 and L98 look almost exactly alike, and neither one looks anything like an LT1. I don't get it either.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:18 AM

So tyeo098, what block do you have?

If that's what your humor was directed at, then well-played. I'm just so used to seeing people be serious about it at this point that I missed it.
YOU GOT IT!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM

So tyeo098, what block do you have?
Dunno yet. Car is 400 or so miles away in NY State lol

Gonna scope it out Friday. We have internet there (thank God...) so I should be able to get some more pictures and information for you all.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:00 AM

Well. My dads car only has a 3500lb towing capacity and UHaul wont loan us a trailer...

So looks like I have 3 days to fix it up enough to drive a 5 hour trip home.

Oh joy
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM
Supreme Member

Have plenty of water for you and the car and take your time! Good luck and be safe!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM

Eats more oil than it does gas or coolant xD
Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Supreme Member

Eats more oil than it does gas or coolant xD
"and topped it up with oil and charged the battery, becuase I was able to drive it home, but by the time I had gotten back (about an hour) you could see exactly where I had been by following the oil smoke cloud. Dipstick as well showed I was kinda low on the slippery stuff. Stop by walmart, buy more and more oil (and more oil) "

yeah, forgot about that!
Old 07-03-2014, 04:29 PM
Supreme Member

Well. My dads car only has a 3500lb towing capacity and UHaul wont loan us a trailer...

So looks like I have 3 days to fix it up enough to drive a 5 hour trip home.

Oh joy
I once drove a smoking chevette from Tennessee to alberta BC. it took 30 hours to do. but man wata road trip!! you can do it ,but make sure you cover ALL your bases first.if you can,tune it up ,change the oil and filter.(I use wix filters and Castrol GTX motor oil,have for 30 plus years ,and they never let me down)make sure you have no leaks , and just wing it home. it would help if you have someone following you .but you may not have that option. above all. good luck!!
Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 91 Z28 camaro
Engine: L98 from 90-92 camaro

Good luck if it's your first time without any help
Old 07-03-2014, 05:06 PM

I once drove a smoking chevette from Tennessee to alberta BC. it took 30 hours to do. but man wata road trip!! you can do it ,but make sure you cover ALL your bases first.if you can,tune it up ,change the oil and filter.(I use wix filters and Castrol GTX motor oil,have for 30 plus years ,and they never let me down)make sure you have no leaks , and just wing it home. it would help if you have someone following you .but you may not have that option. above all. good luck!!
Dang! We changed the oil in early June, last time we were up there. Put about 10 miles on the car before we had 'the incident' with the deal alt.

Only leak I noticed was from the coolant reservoir, since it had no cap it was splashing around everywhere.

No oil or nothing showed up the walmart parking lot when we stopped. I'll check again under the car when we get up there tomorrow afternoon.

The oil drain plug crush washer was a bit messed up. Partly rusted away. Still seems like it made an OK seal though. We cranked it down pretty snug to be sure.

Originally Posted by s10sbc350
Good luck if it's your first time without any help
Well thats why I got you guys right?
...right?

Haha, my girlfriends dad works on Honda/Toyotas and whatnot, rebuilding engines. His house is where the car will be sitting for a while while I finish school.
Plus I'm sure there is someone on TGO who is willing to help for some beer and laughs... right? xD

Quick Reply: Apparently I got screwed...