Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

newb here

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:31 PM
KCG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 89 IROC
newb here

New to the forum and new to third gens.
I just bought this 89 IROC

Name:  20140726_082042_1_zps780576d5.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  69.2 KB

PO pulled the original 5.0 and installed another from a 86 TA. He didn't finish it, so its not running. I'd like to figure out how to find out more about it. It has a qjet on it and intake is not even bolted down.
Heres a pic

Name:  20140724_201720_zps4a3a0023.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  55.3 KB

I also snapped a pic of some numbers on the rear of the block drivers side. Hard to see, but pretty sure it says GM50L6.
Does this confirm anything or could it be any engine from those years?

Name:  20140726_082516_zps8f429d7e.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  30.8 KB

Car is a 5spd and the 1st goal is to just figure out the engine enough to get it running. It did come with the TPI in the back seat. I may just try to put that back on. It seems all the wiring was uncut and still there. Just not quite sure why they left the carb/intake on it.

Last edited by KCG; 10-29-2014 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: newb here

Welcome aboard TGO. Looks like a decent start, body in good condition and the two-stripe IROC wheels.

The block casting does define the engine as a 305. From the looks of the air cleaner set up it was originally a TPI engine. Personally, I'd keep it TPI.

RBob.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4 Overdrive Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.23:1 Positraction

Originally Posted by RBob
Welcome aboard TGO. Looks like a decent start, body in good condition and the two-stripe IROC wheels.

The block casting does define the engine as a 305. From the looks of the air cleaner set up it was originally a TPI engine. Personally, I'd keep it TPI.

RBob.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 AM
KCG

Thanks, yeah I couldn't pass it up for the price and the condition the body is in. + Ttops, 5spd , I decided to purchase.

So, If I find that the computer and all wiring is still intact, will I have any problems with the 89 tune for this supposed 86 engine?....I'm going to pull the intake/carb first thing and go with the TPI.

Just taking a quick look, it appears there's a lot of emissions equipment on these cars. Any heads on up on removing anything unnecessary? I'm in Md and don't need it to title/tag a car of this year.

2 stripe wheels...never heard that before...rpo says there 15x7. rpo 16P says "wheel color, brt white (91)" does that make sense?
Also shows 6way power seat, remote mirrors, remote rear hatch,.... but I was kinda surprised about the drum brakes on a seemingly well equiped IROC.
rpo 81A also shows red/blk(91) accent stripe even tho its obviously blu/blk. Did GM really put a x/blk stripe on a black car?
Thanks
Old 07-27-2014, 07:55 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The '89 tune should work for the '86 TA engine. I don't recall if '86 was the first year for roller cams or '87. Another aspect that this brings to mind is the center four bolt holes for the intake manifold.

That engine looks to have perimeter valve cover bolts (opposed to center bolt). If this is true then the TPI in the trunk may or may not fit. Would need to slot the intake base for the center four mounting bolts.

> 2 stripe wheels...never heard that before.

The earlier 16" IROC wheels have a single stripe on each spoke.

RBob.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Hi KCG ,

Welcome to TGO and good for you fixing up this obviously deserving Camaro . I'll freely admit to not knowing much about the Camaros since I've got a Firebird , but I wanted to give you a general piece of advice with regards to RPOs . There will be times when the RPO will be at odds with what you actually find on the car and there are usually one of two reasons for this , First and most likely being that somewhere in the car's almost 30 year history somebody replaced something (often with a downgraded part , drum brake rear end in place of disc , for ex) . If the disk rear had broken gears inside and they only had a drum rear on hand to swap in you would certainly end up with "RPO confusion" . Now the other , scarier but thankfully less seen scenario is when someone has changed out the console and or other parts of the interior where the RPO stickers are , and then the RPOs bear no relation to the car "as built" . Just remember , it's what's on the car right now that matters since the RPOs can , at times like I've described , bear no relation to what's actually bolted to your chassis .

Best of Luck with your new project and yes , I'd go for trying to get the fuel injection working if it were mine to do as well .
Old 07-27-2014, 01:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1985 Trans Am T-Top
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: T-5 5 Speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi 1LE 10 bolt

You may not have to smog it for title, but doesn't MD have mandatory tailpipe tests for all cat equipped vehicles? Or are they exempting cars once they reach a certain age now?
Old 07-27-2014, 01:17 PM
KCG

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi KCG ,

Welcome to TGO and good for you fixing up this obviously deserving Camaro . I'll freely admit to not knowing much about the Camaros since I've got a Firebird , but I wanted to give you a general piece of advice with regards to RPOs . There will be times when the RPO will be at odds with what you actually find on the car and there are usually one of two reasons for this , First and most likely being that somewhere in the car's almost 30 year history somebody replaced something (often with a downgraded part , drum brake rear end in place of disc , for ex) . If the disk rear had broken gears inside and they only had a drum rear on hand to swap in you would certainly end up with "RPO confusion" . Now the other , scarier but thankfully less seen scenario is when someone has changed out the console and or other parts of the interior where the RPO stickers are , and then the RPOs bear no relation to the car "as built" . Just remember , it's what's on the car right now that matters since the RPOs can , at times like I've described , bear no relation to what's actually bolted to your chassis .

Best of Luck with your new project and yes , I'd go for trying to get the fuel injection working if it were mine to do as well .
Agreed. And Thanks

Originally Posted by stealtht/a
You may not have to smog it for title, but doesn't MD have mandatory tailpipe tests for all cat equipped vehicles? Or are they exempting cars once they reach a certain age now?
I don't know the exact criteria. My 95 OBD1 car has to do the sniffer, but cars 25 yrs or older can apply for Historic or Street Rod tags....NO emission testing. Just made it with this car.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:28 PM
KCG

Just thought I'd add to the previous comments about the RPO codes ...The sticker does have the vin on it so you can see if its original to the car or not.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by RBob
The '89 tune should work for the '86 TA engine. I don't recall if '86 was the first year for roller cams or '87. Another aspect that this brings to mind is the center four bolt holes for the intake manifold.

That engine looks to have perimeter valve cover bolts (opposed to center bolt). If this is true then the TPI in the trunk may or may not fit. Would need to slot the intake base for the center four mounting bolts.

> 2 stripe wheels...never heard that before.

The earlier 16" IROC wheels have a single stripe on each spoke.

RBob.
a few late 86 engines were equipped with the roller cam.i think around august 86.and as for drum brakes.its common to find them even on a 92.and I agree. keep it TPI .it will be easy to install since the car came with it. you found a good one, and I salute you!
Old 08-02-2014, 01:58 PM
KCG

Looks like someone beat me to it...holes drilled out already.

Name:  20140802_143530_zps0160c61c.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  49.3 KB

This isn't the best looking engine I've ever pulled the intake off of.
Wonder why there's paint on both sides of the intake gaskets?
I hope all the dirt in there is from me pulling the intake off.

Last edited by KCG; 09-26-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 IROC
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: 700-R-4
Axle/Gears: 2.73 open

Originally Posted by KCG
Looks like someone beat me to it...holes drilled out already.

This isn't the best looking engine I've ever pulled the intake off of.
Wonder why there's paint on both sides of the intake gaskets?
I hope all the dirt in there is from me pulling the intake off.
all in all it looks clean. unfortunately its a flat tappet block, which means you need to add ZDDP to which ever oil you choose to run. I would get a fel pro gasket set and have at it. inspect EVERYTHING that the PO may have done (loose bolts here and there). who knows ,it may run really well and then ,my friend, you have a cool ride
Old 08-02-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 IROC-Z, 1970 Camaro SS
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: 700R4

Nice find KCG . I just picked up an 89 myself and it looks just like yours, minus the t-tops. Now if I can only get it running!
Old 10-29-2014, 07:04 AM
KCG

For anyone who found this thread, I continued here.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/memb...es-iroc-z.html