Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Purge canister question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Purge canister question.

First off im sorry if i am posting this in the wrong area but it just seemed the most appropriate for this subject.

Secondly, I just bought this baby and im loving it :-).

So the car is a 1986 Iroc with a 383. The problem or maybe its not a problem is that in the front of the engine bay, drivers side, there is a purge canister (correct me if thats not the name) but i was trying to fix my cruise issue and noticed that the vacuum line coming from the throttle body to this canister was disconnected and capped off with a screw in the end of it.

I dont know a ton about older cars and how they work with vacuum but if someone can educate me on what this can is and what it does and what effects that disconnected line can cause i would appreciate it.

I just tried to get it emissions tested and it failed. 516 CO and the max in this area is 120.

Hoping maybe this is the reason why

Thanks in advance!!!
Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 T/A, 83 Z/28
Engine: 5.0 TPI, 350 2 X 4 bbl
Transmission: 4 speed auto, 5 speed manual
Axle/Gears: 3.23 posi, 3.73 std
Re: Purge canister question.

Unfortunately I don't believe the charcoal canister is the source of your issue. Way back in the day gas tanks used to be vented directly to the atmosphere through the gas cap. This allowed a lot of emissions in the form of just gas vapors. To address this issue they created the EVAP system. The gas tank is vented through the charcoal canister but the charcoal traps the fuel vapors. When the car is running, the ECM (at certain times) will allow air to be sucked into the engine through the charcoal canister burning these trapped fuel vapors.