Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Message on panel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Message on panel

Grandaughter riding around town this afternoo, stopped for an hour or so and the car wouldn't stay running. It would start,stumble and die. I went home to get my trailer, gone a couple of hours and when we got back it started and ran fine, until I stopped and filled it up. It started and went maybe 20 yards and died. When I tried to re start it displayed a message
FEIL
REST
What is it telling me? Not sure about the first 4 letters.
Any help?

Art
Old 10-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Message on panel

Originally Posted by LAAllison
Grandaughter riding around town this afternoo, stopped for an hour or so and the car wouldn't stay running. It would start,stumble and die. I went home to get my trailer, gone a couple of hours and when we got back it started and ran fine, until I stopped and filled it up. It started and went maybe 20 yards and died. When I tried to re start it displayed a message
FEIL
REST
What is it telling me? Not sure about the first 4 letters.
Any help?

Art
Hi Art , It may help to tell the board what kind of car your talking about .
Old 10-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1988 GTA
Engine: LB9
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
It's fun trying to solve puzzles with some of the pieces laying under the table. My guess is the air bag light is on, which would be unrealted to the stalling. Stalling could be anything, but it's acting like a heat soaked ICM is crapping out.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
You think. That was dumb of me. It's a 92 RS V6, 5speed.

Art
Old 10-19-2014, 09:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

What it probably actually said was INFL REST....

Stands for INFLatable RESTraint, aka air bags

Probably not related to the driveability problem. Probably not a problem at all. Ignore that for the time being.

Sounds to me like it has a fuel related problem. First thing I'd do is change out the fuel filter. If it hasn't been done lately, it needs that, regardless.

If that doesn't fix it, next thing I'd do, is check the fuel pressure. Being a 6-cyl, I have not the vaguest dimmest foggiest remotest hint of a whiff of a glimpse of a clue about the details of how to do that, since I've never even laid eyes on one; but since it has port injection, fuel pressure should in the low-mid 40 psi range with the engine running and the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator disconnected, and it should be able to hold that regardless of gas pedal operation. Should jump right up to something in that range when the key is turned to On, without starting it; should hold without dropping more than acoupla psi for quite awhile; and should stay there once the car is started and running. Might see the needle vibrate somewhat but that's OK as long as it doesn't move more than acoupla psi.

You might want to visit the 6-cyl forum on this site and ask those guys where the fuel pressure test port is, where the regulator is, etc.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM

You are correct. The message was about the airbags. Banged on the fuel tank and the pump came back to life.Now I got to figure out what's going on there.

Art

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
What it probably actually said was INFL REST....

Stands for INFLatable RESTraint, aka air bags

Probably not related to the driveability problem. Probably not a problem at all. Ignore that for the time being.

Sounds to me like it has a fuel related problem. First thing I'd do is change out the fuel filter. If it hasn't been done lately, it needs that, regardless.

If that doesn't fix it, next thing I'd do, is check the fuel pressure. Being a 6-cyl, I have not the vaguest dimmest foggiest remotest hint of a whiff of a glimpse of a clue about the details of how to do that, since I've never even laid eyes on one; but since it has port injection, fuel pressure should in the low-mid 40 psi range with the engine running and the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator disconnected, and it should be able to hold that regardless of gas pedal operation. Should jump right up to something in that range when the key is turned to On, without starting it; should hold without dropping more than acoupla psi for quite awhile; and should stay there once the car is started and running. Might see the needle vibrate somewhat but that's OK as long as it doesn't move more than acoupla psi.

You might want to visit the 6-cyl forum on this site and ask those guys where the fuel pressure test port is, where the regulator is, etc.