Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Stalling problem, help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stalling problem, help!

Whenever I have my steering wheel cut all the way with my foot on the brake, the power steering puts a strain on the engine and the car stalls. What could be causing this?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 PM

Car: '84 Camaro Z28
Engine: 305 HO
Re: Stalling problem, help!

The power steering pump is the only part of the power steering that connects with the engine. If it's putting that much strain on the engine to cause it to stall, then it sounds like the pump is shot (bearings going bad and putting strain on the belt which is putting a strain on everything else) OR (If the pump is okay) your engine is in dire need of some attention since it can't handle the load of a power steering pump.

if the car is in serious need of a tuneup, if it has ignition or fuel issues, or say, there's a vacuum leak that's causing issues with the engine, then any additional load (power steering or A/C) will add to the stalling issue.

Of course, all this is speculation. I'd need more information about the engine, what it's doing, etc. Is the pump making any noise? How does the engine run? I need info.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:55 AM

Sorry for the slow response, I've been having health issues. Last I checked with the vacuum gauge I had good, steady vacuum and the TPS was the issue for my code 35. I don't hear the pump make any noise that I can remember. It's just when it's in drive or reverse and I turn the wheel all the way to the right as far as it will go coasting or with my foot on the brake, the engine will intermittently die but the car always fires right back up. I don't hear any noises or anything odd. The engine seems to run much better (idle at 600-700 in park once warmed up, no surging of any kind) with the exception of my horrible gas mileage and on occasion the car gives off a burning smell really bad after about five minutes of driving it and then parking it. I'm guessing that because of the failed TPS sensor, the throttle was opening too far open and allowing gas to flood the system and overwhelming the catcon and I'm assuming this is the burning smell that I smell. The rear of the car rattles (especially when cold), I actually had a guy hear me pull up at work and he told me my car sounded like a two cylinder motorcycle.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:25 AM

Seeming as how I get plenty of views on my threads but no one wants to respond or help someone in need, I think I'm going to abandon my account here. No point in logging in or staying here anymore. Jiyasa, signing off...