Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

High idle/stall with acceleration

Old 11-23-2014, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High idle/stall with acceleration

Hey everyone, I'm hoping to get a little help.

I picked up an 87 trans am with a 305 LG4 Rochester CCC Q-Jet in April and still haven't got it running reliably yet. It had more or less been sitting since 95 when I got it.

I'm having two continuous problems. It idles high all the time, and it wants to die when I give it gas (in gear).

In an attemp to eliminate gas and vacuum related issues here's what I've done so far: inspected vacuum lines, replaced the three vacuum diaphragm purge valves, ripped out the intake manifold and replaced the gaskets, sent the carb away to be profesionally rebuilt and adjusted, replaced the alternator (it powers the electronic choke), replaced the mechanical fuel pump and filter, and checked the fuel line going to and from the pump and vapor canister. Oh and also through on a new cap and rotor for the distributor.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Ignition? Computer? Bad wiring? One of the previous owners had an after market security and sound system installed. And the other attempted to remove the security system with only about 50% success. Keep in mind also, who knows if mice could have chewed something.

Thanks!