Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

blower mower bypass troubleshooting

Old 12-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blower mower bypass troubleshooting

My heat has gone out and we have figured out that the blower motor isn't getting power. Due to financial constraints, we have wired the blower mower to a switch in the car. The positive is connected to the outside of the fuse box and the negative is grounded on the pcu(I believe) box. We have an inlay that we have tried a 20a 25a and 40a fuse in. If the blower motor is switched on, it's fine. Every time I switch it off, the fuse blows. How can I fix this so I can turn the blower motor off. Thank you for any responses.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,261 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: blower mower bypass troubleshooting

Due to financial constraints, we have wired the blower mower to a switch
Interesting idea... you have no money, so you spend money you don't have, on something you don't need.

Remove the AC control head. You will observe a plug on the "mode" switch, with a green wire that goes toward the firewall, a wire that goes to the blower speed switch, and a brown wire that disappears into the dash. Follow that wire. About a foot or so in, you will come to the most incredibly stoooopid connector EVAH, which you will notice is burnt to ash. Cut both halves of it off, and replace it with a pair of the BIG THICK WIDE HEAVY-DUTY YELLOW slide terminals. Not the little weenie ones that are just like the red & blue ones; you want the BIG THICK WIDE HEAVY DUTY ones. Insulated if possible, otherwise, wrap them thoroughly with tape.

Do away with whatever hack-job you did; put all that back exactly like it came stock.

Then, look at the blower motor. Observe a big fat purple wire. Follow it to a small box with a plug with about 5 wires. One of those wires will be a big thick red one. Follow that wire, as it runs along the edge of the windshield cowl. About right above the pass side valve cover you will come to another one of the same STOOOOOOPID connectors, which will also be burnt to ashes. It may have both the big red wire and also the big thick black ground wire for the blower, and if so, either or both might be burned up. Whatever big thick wires it has, cut them off from the stoooooopid connector and replace those with the BIG FAT THICK WIDE HEAVY-DUTY slide terminals as well.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: blower mower bypass troubleshooting

"Interesting idea... you have no money, so you spend money you don't have, on something you don't need."

I love that, Sofa!!!!!!!!! Made my day!