Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Could the new HydraMat help with Fuel starvation?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:19 PM
Supreme Member

Received 212 Likes on 160 Posts
Car: 1989 Trans Am GTA
Engine: LT1, AFR 195cc, 231/239 LE cam.
Transmission: M28 T56
Axle/Gears: 3.23 10bolt waiting to explode.
Could the new HydraMat help with Fuel starvation?

Manufacturers always make lots of promises. Snake oil is extremely common. But I can't help but think that if this product DID live up to the hype then could be a cheap way to make our tanks act like a baffled setup.

I certainly like the idea of it. But I'd love to see some more tests. An example being two cars prepped with similar unbaffled tanks, filled with the same amount of fuel, driven around a track to see where fuel starvation is seen as the tank is emptied. If the product really does work, then it should outlast the car without the HydraMat.

If it does work, it would mean that many who switch to a baffled setup, or swirl pot may not need to unless in the absolute extreme situations.

https://www.holley.com/news/articles...uel_reservoir/

Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Could the new HydraMat help with Fuel starvation?

On sale apparently May 1, starting around $200.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...39ad-264498001

To those of you who know what the bottom of the tank looks like, which of the designs might work in a thirdgen fuel tank?
Old 01-17-2019, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC-Z
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 2.73

Anyone tired any of the Holley designs, in road racing? We are road racing a 89 Formula 350 with the "1LE" tank -- and still sloshing bad after 1/2 tank used...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While there was a lot of marketing hype, there was no "1LE" tank with a "swinging pickup" or any of that nonsense. The verbiage made it through marketing but it was never built other than a few units modified for SSGT racing by GM crews. I've owned and been inside at least eight 1LE cars from an 89, two 91s and at least 5 92s.

I daily drive a 92 1LE/B4c and sold my other 92 1LE/B4c to a good friend who daily's it as well. When autocrossing keep the tank full and yes, on sticky tires you'll get fuel starve under 1/2 tank and for sure at 3/8ths tank.

Hydramat is a good product but can clog easy and like any filter it is a wear item....and a pretty expensive one at that. We got fuel that got pumped through hoses that had xferred diesel and it clogged our hmat at COTA last year. 6 or 7 teams clogged hydramats that weekend. Not good. When it works, its damn good tho.

The late 4th gen plastic tanks are the answer you seek. I co-drive a buddy's team (Pontini Racing) with a 4th gen v6/5sp and the plastic tank allows them to get down to less than a gallon before it begins to starve. Big plus: the plastic tank holds about a gallon more than the metal tanks. You get factory mounting (going cell puts it further aft of the axle adding to pendulum effect), factory pump reliability and can run a gas gauge if you want (worked well at COTA or anywhere with decently long straights to let stabilize and check). To fill it quickly, change up the vent setup, delete the evap box, pull the neck tube and knock out the anti-rollover valve. Put the neck back with a normal hose clamp (use a really good one....).

Just my .02

Costas
cars and such...