Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car only runs with check engine light in.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro RS
Engine: 2.8L MPFI V6
Car only runs with check engine light in.

1989 V6

My car will always do one of two things.
1. Start, the check engine light comes in, and will run fine.
2. Start, the check engine light does not come in, sputter, rev, sputter, and die.

I believe this is happening because with the light in, the ECU recognizes there is a problem and runs a default map. With no check engine light, the ECU does not recognize the problem and accepts a bad signal. I get the following codes.
32, 31, 26, 46, 36

32-I think this is because the EGR never opens due to some vacuum issues. I don't think that this would cause the above scenario though
31-The interlock requiring the clutch to be in to start the car is bypassed so this shouldn't be it.
26-Seems like the most likely culprit but I'm not even sure what this means. It does seem though like it could cause the above situations.
46-VATS is bypassed so it isn't this
36-I replace the MAF after getting this code but it is still in. Not sure.

The engine itself runs great. I am weakest on the electrical portions of the car and short of just replacing sensors I am not sure where to even start.
Thanks in advance for all the help.