Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help with vacuum lines: Best way to bypass charcoal cannister?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Help with vacuum lines: Best way to bypass charcoal cannister?

Hey guys,

A few years ago, I had fuel in the vacuum line going to my charcoal cannister (the big vacuum line, not small ones) and small charcoal particles backed up and clogged up my carb. I'm very hesitant to hook it back up now after cleaning it out (Never replaced the cannister, just unhooked it). I don't even know why or how I got fuel in that vacuum line in the first place (the 3/8 line coming off the bottom front of the carb). The only lines that didn't have fuel in them, were the PCV and the "smaller" lines. The cannister thing that sits on top of my water pump with the three big vacuum lines going to it was completely full of gas. Any suggestions on what to do or how to proceed? Any ideas on how fuel would get in those vacuum lines?

I don't "need" emissions where I live, but I prefer to keep that stuff hooked up if possible.

Thanks for any help or advice!

Last edited by Ozz1967; 02-13-2015 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:49 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Help with vacuum lines: Best way to bypass charcoal cannister?

The diaphrams on the vacuum switches can rupture and cause manifold vacuum to pull liquid fuel into places it shouldn't be. That's the most usual cause.

You don't need the canister at all (except for visual emissions checks). Get rid of the whole system. Just don't plug the big vent line coming from the fuel tank- you can get pressure build-up in the tank if you do. Yes, there are other systems that are supposed to manage that pressure, but leave it open for now until you are sure you've fixed the engine-related problems.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1984 Trans Am
Engine: LS1383 in work
Transmission: Magnum F
Axle/Gears: Zexel Torsen 3.73, 28-spline mosers
Re: Help with vacuum lines: Best way to bypass charcoal cannister?

Originally Posted by Damon
The diaphrams on the vacuum switches can rupture and cause manifold vacuum to pull liquid fuel into places it shouldn't be. That's the most usual cause.

You don't need the canister at all (except for visual emissions checks). Get rid of the whole system. Just don't plug the big vent line coming from the fuel tank- you can get pressure build-up in the tank if you do. Yes, there are other systems that are supposed to manage that pressure, but leave it open for now until you are sure you've fixed the engine-related problems.
Where I am at currently I need emissions tested, so I'm going to leave it where it is for now. I have run it four times this winter since hooking all my vacuum lines back up with the new switch. This equates to backing it out of the garage once a month and letting her get up to operating temp. I've checked all my lines during and after running and can find no evidence of fuel build up where I found it before. It appears the new vacuum switch is doing it's job. I won't be totally confident until I take it for a drive but...I'll always worry. I'll just have to check it continuously I think until I get my confidence back in it. And if it clogs up again...ugh. I'll just deal with it.

---edit. This year they just changed the rules for emissions testing for Military stationed in Utah. I didn't need emissions until 1 March. So that's why I'll need to keep it. Hopefully I can get her to pass.