Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Advice for previous Third Gen Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice for previous Third Gen Owner

Hi all, I'm new here but not to Camaros as they have been a part of me my entire life. Just some background, as a kid my uncle owned a 73 Camaro, loved that car and I actually bought the car from him 10 years ago when he got divorced. I spent 5-6 years restoring it with my dad and it now sits on my back yard.

My first car when I got my license however was a 1986 Camaro sports coupe, nothing fancy. I loved that car to death, that was the car I took my wife out on our first date with. Like so many others, I sold it and later regretted it.

Well while I was driving to work last week I passed a white 1984 Camaro sports coupe that had a for sale sign. The interior was identical to my 86 but the front nose looked a bit different. The car has 75k original miles and is an absolute cream puff. Not a speck of rust or rot on or under. The original paint shines beautifully as there isn't a dent or scratch on her. I called the owner and she (yes she) came out and popped the hood and to my dissapointment the Iron Duke was staring me in the face.

Look I'm a sucker for originality. But a four cylinder? I don't think I could deal with that. This car doesn't even have a spoiler! I love it! I love the look of plain Jane Camaros and this just calls to me. I'd hate to yank out the original motor and put in a 350 and ruin such an unmolested car. She's asking 2500.

What would be involved in putting a 350 in the car? I'm sure it could be done but at what cost? Is it even worth it? I fell in love with the car and just need some advice with this. Thanks sorry for the long post.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:21 PM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: Advice for previous Third Gen Owner

It's more than just the engine/transmission that you would be changing . The front springs are different from the 4 cyl to the 8 cyl , the exhaust of course would be different , the 4 cyl likely had thinner sway bars , and so on .

My idea ?

Buy it , and leave it 100% stock ..... Except , for whatever changes would be required to put either a turbo , nitrous , or both on it