Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Help with Fuel Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Fuel Issue

Ok I have been searching the forum and can't find anything that really helps with the problem I'm having. I have an 86 Trans am with the 5.0 in it. The car had been sitting before I bought it. I've been trying to get it running by going through all the normal stuff but I can't get fuel to the carb. I can put fuel into the carb and the car fires right off so I know it's not a spark issue. I've put a new mechanical fuel pump on it and some new lines. The gas that came out of it wasn't that bad (car sat but previous owners had guy hired that started every vehicle ones a month). I've got it narrowed down to it being something with the electric fuel pump, but that's where I hit the road block because a mechanic that I have a good history left started looking it up and said it could have been the inertia switch. He was even able to pull up the switch and show the part # and everything but I read on here that these cars don't have one? Can anyone confirm that or tell me where it's located? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z28
Engine: Carburated small block 454
Transmission: Level 3 Raptor 700R4 2600 stall
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73 S Trac Posi
Re: Help with Fuel Issue

How long did the car sit? A guy brought me an S-10 pick up with the same symptoms a few years ago and it had sit for around six months. I found that it was getting no fuel and traced the problem to the fuel pump in the tank, when I dropped the tank I found that the ethanol in the fuel had completely eaten everything that was made of rubber or plastic on fuel pump assembly. I had to replace the entire assembly to get it back on the road. You are going to have to drop the tank and see what all got damaged by the ethanol and go from there.

With today's crappy gas, with ethanol added, you can not allow a vehicle to sit long term with out treating the fuel with a stabilizer. With time, the ethanol will fall out of the gas, to the bottom of the tank and damage anything not made of metal.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Help with Fuel Issue

Thanks for the input I appreciate it