Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Desperate about fuel hose

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 11:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Desperate about fuel hose

Hello

I'm replacing my fuel pump in my '88 Camaro. I bought a Bosch one and it came with a new hose to connect the pump and the hard line inside the tank. The hose fits onto the new fuel pump outlet but won't fit on the hard line. I tried and pushed a lot and when I had it about half of how far it should go over the line I wasn't able to get the clamp over it and then I saw that the new hose had already cracked on the edge from the pressure.

I measured the new hose. It's 8mm. The difference to the old hose is 1) it's far less flexible and harder and 2) it has a smaller outer diameter. When I measure the inner diameter it looks as if it's 8,5mm.

As my old hose looks a bit brittle on the outside I wanted to replace it. But now I can't find any hoses that are 8,5mm (9,5 or 10mm is already too big) AND submergible. I was at a shop and they sold me a gates hose with a textile outer coat. They told me that it should work okay but anywhere on the internet I can read that you should only use submergible hoses for in-tank use. And so says Gates itself for their textile coated fuel hoses.

Did anyone of you had a similar experience with this particular hose between fuel pump and hard line? And what shall I do know? How can it be that the line is so hard to fit over the 8mm hose that came with the new pump?

HELP! And thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 06:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: Desperate about fuel hose

Try some 5/16" diameter FI fuel hose. Spray the ID of the hose and the hose barbs with silicone lube or something similar.

It'll be a tight fit but the silicone will make it easier to get onto the hose barbs.

You might need to get some larger spring clamps to fit. I'd avoid the urge to use worm gear clamps. Rubber hose tends to flow as it ages and you really don't want to drop the tank just to tighten a hose clamp.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Desperate about fuel hose

Thanks for the help. So FI fuel line is also submergible? I didn't try silicone, I'm not that well equiped. Somebody told me now that I can use water with a bit of dish liquid. In the meantime I got an answer from a shop that they have a more elastic hose (8mm) that should work but it's not pressure resistant. In my GM manual it says that normally fuel pressure is about 9-13 psi which is less than 1 bar. Is that what a hose should be able to withstand? Do you think for a short hose of 4,5cm that should be a problem if it's labeled as not pressure resistant?

Thanks,
Thomas