Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

another guy with a weird clicking noise problem

Old 05-13-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 trans am gta
Engine: 5.7 L 350 TPI
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: not a clue!
another guy with a weird clicking noise problem

I have a "clickin" noise that seems to be coming from under the driver's side of the dash. think right above your shins. It only occurs under acceleration.

I did some checking on here and i thought it might be an exhaust leak. I got under the car and didn't see anything expect that i think i might be missing a bolt holding on each header (driver and passenger side). I posted a question about it under the "Exhaust" section, but basically there seems to be bolt missing at the far rear, towards the firewall, of the header. There is only one bolt in front of the exhaust tube. this is the same on both headers. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that or not.

If the headers are installed correctly, what else might be making this "clicking" noise? it's fine when idling or coasting. It's just occurs when i'm on the gas pedal.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:45 AM
TPI
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: '89 Trans AM/'88 GTA
Engine: (2) Tuned Port L98's
Re: another guy with a weird clicking noise problem

An exhaust leak would be pretty apparent if that were the case. From my own experience, the clicking under
load and acceleration is none other than your fuel injectors. It seems fairly pronounced inside the car with the
windows up and the radio off. Outside the car, it is not very noticeable.

The only other thing I could suggest is valve train, You could try a re-lash
and see if that cures your "click" but, I gave you my honest opinion above.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt

Have you put a stethascope or something on the FPR? My FPR makes a clicking sound, for a while I thought it was a bad lifter, but no, it was the FPR. It still works fine for now, but eventually I will replace it. But mine did the exact same thing. You could hear it clearly inside the car with the windows up, but not so much in the engine bay. Check for it....
Old 05-18-2015, 10:00 AM
TPI
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by TheExaminer
Have you put a stethascope or something on the FPR? My FPR makes a clicking sound, for a while I thought it was a bad lifter, but no, it was the FPR. It still works fine for now, but eventually I will replace it. But mine did the exact same thing. You could hear it clearly inside the car with the windows up, but not so much in the engine bay. Check for it....
Never thought about the FPR, hell.. Im curious now too! Nice call.
Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Supreme Member

Haha, I never would have either. I started listening at all the cylinders at the valve cover and heard nothing, then I noticed it was coming from the fuel rail, then I just followed it back to the FPR. I'm not sure what makes it do that, bad diaphragm or what IDK--but the clicking was loudest at the FPR. Go figure.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:43 PM
TPI
Supreme Member

Well, that is the funny thing.. It only really "clicks" under load while
moving which is pretty hard to locate! Either way, It is what it is..
Old 05-18-2015, 02:05 PM

Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 3800 Series II Turbo
Transmission: 4th-gen WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW Limited

It is almost certainly an exhaust leak, albeit a small one.

Start the car cold and let it idle. Put your hand near the exhaust flange before everything gets too hot and you will feel the pulse of the leak.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:22 PM
Supreme Member

Hmmm, well, mine clicks more at idle than under load, so maybe it's not the FPR. My clicking increases with rpm though too. Take a listen when you get a chance, that's all you can do. Lol
Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 PM

i found out that each header only has 5 bolts, not the 6 it's supposed to have.

it should be: .0=.00.=.0. but the last bolt is missing, the one closest to the firewall. I'm hoping i can take the car in (i don't think i can get a bolt in there) and get it fixed and hopefully solve my problem. It's a tight squeeze, but i might give it a try.

Also, what's a "FPR"?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:10 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by pathology knight

it should be: .0=.00.=.0. but the last bolt is missing, the one closest to the firewall. I'm hoping i can take the car in (i don't think i can get a bolt in there) and get it fixed and hopefully solve my problem. It's a tight squeeze, but i might give it a try.

Also, what's a "FPR"?
Fuel pressure regulator. Mine clicks in a way similar to what you described.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:38 PM

i'm not much of a knowledgeable mechanic. Where's the FPR located and is it easy to change out?
Old 05-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Supreme Member

i'm not much of a knowledgeable mechanic. Where's the FPR located and is it easy to change out?
It's not too bad, an hour or two of turning wrenches, and that's if you take your time. It's under the plenum (assuming you're running tpi), near the back of the intake base in front of the distributor. Looks like a little ufo or something, is connected to the fuel rails and has a vacuum line. You have to take the plenum off, no big deal. Four bolts at the throttle body, (don't have to remove the TB from the engine, just let it sit there on its hoses) and then all the plenum to runner bolts at the top, there's like 6 or 8 of those. Unplug the brake booster hose, lift the plenum enough to unplug intake air temp sensor from its connector and lift the plenum all the way out. Most of the time it's the FPR rubber diaphragm that fails, so that's what you replace. The top of the FPR has little "security" torx head screws--torx with a little "button" inside the torx inset. I forget the size, but you have to get a special torx wrench for them, they are cheap and can be found at any hardware store. But this sounds a lot more complicated than it is, taking the plenum off is pretty easy. I took mine off for the first time last year, and was surprised at how easy it was. LOL But use a long screwdriver against your ear (carefully!) or better yet a stethoscope to try to pin down exactly where the noise is coming from. That lack of an exhaust bolt could be it, but it wouldn't hurt to listen around at everything else while you're in there.

Last edited by TheExaminer; 05-26-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:51 PM
Supreme Member

Here's where it is. This guy has taken one set of runners off, and the throttle body is gone--you don't have to take it down this far, but this is what it looks like. BTW, forgot to mention that the FPR diaphragm is spring loaded, so if you did need to change it, keep one hand on the cap to keep it from flying off and hitting you in the nose while you're unscrewing it....lol
Attached Thumbnails another guy with a weird clicking noise problem-image.jpg  

Last edited by TheExaminer; 05-26-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Car: 1985 Sport Coupe
Engine: 3800 Series II Turbo
Transmission: 4th-gen WC T5
Axle/Gears: 3.27 BW Limited

Also, what's a "FPR"?
Once the gasket is blown putting the bolts back in will solve nothing.

You need to pull the headers away from the motor and replace the gaskets. I strong recommend using RemFlex gaskets. They are pricey but well worth it. You're in Washington so your local Baxter's will carry them.

There is absolutely no way a fuel pressure regulator will cause an audible clicking noise on a thirdgen. Injectors can push back a bit, but audible in the cab? No.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:33 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Aaron_SK

You need to pull the headers away from the motor and replace the gaskets. I strong recommend using RemFlex gaskets. They are pricey but well worth it. You're in Washington so your local Baxter's will carry them.

There is absolutely no way a fuel pressure regulator will cause an audible clicking noise on a thirdgen. Injectors can push back a bit, but audible in the cab? No.
LOL, tell that to mine. Stethascope right on it, and it clicks. It's not the same click as the injectors, not the same at all. It's in the FPR, and is loudest there. I thought it was a bad lifter, but you can hear nothing in or near any of the cylinders at the valve cover,only in the fuel rail, and it gets loudest at the FPR. Don't know what to tell ya. One guy on here told me he thought it was a pulse coming up out of the fuel pump, but I doubt it, not from that far away. You can't hear it very well in the engine compartment, but in the cabin it's loud and clear and is clearly coming from under the hood.

Last edited by TheExaminer; 05-28-2015 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:16 PM
TPI
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Aaron_SK

I respectfully disagree sir. And, I'm still siding with injectors as the culprit.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Supreme Member

As far as my noise goes, I thought injectors too, but the problem with that is that not all 8 are firing at once. It's not a cacophony of 8 clicks mixed together with different timing, but one steady click to itself. The clicking noise that's loudest in my FPR is a clicking noise all to itself that is different than the injectors, way, way louder than an injector. It's just about loud enough to to deafen you when you have the stethascope on it, and it's loudest point is the FPR. Don't ask me to explain it, I can't. I'm just saying what the noise is doing. The car runs fine, no problems, just clicks, and it's not a lifter that I can tell. The noise is totally absent from any point on the valve covers.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:56 PM

thanks everyone.
i might try and replace the FPR (it's old anyways) and see how that goes in addition to the new header bolts and gaskets.