Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

General Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Nothing Currently
General Questions

I really want to get third gen, and I know my way around an engine, but I was wondering if anyone could list the thing i could bolt on, or replace, to make a third gen more powerful/efficient. A rating of easiest to hardest and estimated cost would be awesome. I can find the links myslef, but if you know of a good thread, add a link too. Thank you so much for your time
Old 06-30-2015, 04:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: General Questions

Originally Posted by ferrarishine999
I really want to get third gen, and I know my way around an engine, but I was wondering if anyone could list the thing i could bolt on, or replace, to make a third gen more powerful/efficient. A rating of easiest to hardest and estimated cost would be awesome. I can find the links myslef, but if you know of a good thread, add a link too. Thank you so much for your time
I've got the best single answer to all your general "how to make more power" questions ;

You are at the "tech / general engine questions" area of our forum . Scroll down 4 sections from here , and find the heading "Power Adders" . It is there that you will learn every trick for squeezing every last HP outta an engine . Superchargers , Turbochargers , Nitrous Oxide , are all spoken fluently there .
Old 06-30-2015, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Nothing Currently

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
I've got the best single answer to all your general "how to make more power" questions ;

You are at the "tech / general engine questions" area of our forum . Scroll down 4 sections from here , and find the heading "Power Adders" . It is there that you will learn every trick for squeezing every last HP outta an engine . Superchargers , Turbochargers , Nitrous Oxide , are all spoken fluently there .
I was looking for more of things like Intake, Headers, ECU, air filter, exhaust, camshaft, water injection, fans, fuel pumps. I understand a Turbo might be easier than that stuff, but i was wondering what would be easiest to do.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:48 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

It all boils down to your budget. Simple bolt on items only produce minimal gains. To make real power, major components need to be upgraded. Don't get caught up in marketing hype.

This "brand x" air filter will gain you 5 more HP. Well maybe when you're replaced an old dirty filter with it. Same goes for things like spark plugs. A $2 plug will ignite the fuel just as easily as a $20 plug. The advantage to running a more expensive platinum plug is that they don't wear out as quickly.

To start with, forget about the engine. That's the last item that needs upgrading unless it's worn out and needs replacing. With a goal in mind, start at the back and upgrade the diff first. Move forward up the driveline until you reach the engine. When you're ready to make some power, you'll know the rest of the driveline can handle it.

Best advice and most cost effective, spend a little more money on a car that's in reasonably rust free condition and has already been modified. It will be a lot cheaper in the long run to have someone else already make the big ticket item purchases. It will be cheaper and easier to do changes.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

The biggest gains will come in order of...

Full exhaust.. Engine to bumper. Meaning headers, aftermarket Y pipe, aftermarket high flow cat, aftermarket cat back system. You can gain 30-50 HP from the full exhaust system

cylinder heads can gain you 20-80 HP depending on rest of engine build and what heads you go with

Camshaft

Intake..

It's really hard to say this part will gain you this power though. The engine works as a system and the parts all must match and work together.

I will tell you this... Very easy to get 300-350 HP from a 350 small block with 9.5:1 compression, vortec heads, 214/224* @.050" cam, headers, good exhaust