Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Check Engine Light Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check Engine Light Not Working

I need some advice on how to get my check engine light functioning. I've done a bunch of searches here and can't find the exact problem I'm having. It's a 92 Camaro, TBI, 305. The check engine light does not come on at all. I found one thread about an older model Firebird where they were able to ground one of the pins to check the light, but in my car there is no pin in that location. The light doesn't come on when the key is turned, nor does it come on when jumping the terminals to check codes. The car runs good except for an intermittent stalling problem when driving at highway speeds. We haven't had the car for too long, but everything seems to be stock. I found under the backseat where someone cut a hole to replace the fuel pump at one time. Other than that I can find no other modifications.

I also pulled the gauge cluster and replaced the bulb with a known good one and it made no change.

With the car stalling I thought the first, best place to look would be for any codes. Does anyone have any advice on what might be wrong with the check engine light?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 07-15-2015, 03:45 PM

Re: Check Engine Light Not Working

I thought this would be an easy fix. Kind of suprised that there has been no response yet. Is this just not a common problem? Any suggestions at all would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07

Here is a circuit diagram from AustinThirdGen for you SES indicator. There are lots of great diagrams for 92 Camaros. HTH!
ECM wiring from ChevyThunder!
Attached Thumbnails Check Engine Light Not Working-diagram_1992_gauges_part1.gif   Check Engine Light Not Working-1227746-20ecm-20diagram.jpg  

Last edited by bigal55; 07-15-2015 at 05:13 PM. Reason: added ecm diagram
Old 09-25-2016, 01:03 PM

Car: I drive trans am. Duh
Engine: Yes, I have one in the trans am
Transmission: I have one of those too In trans am
Axle/Gears: In the rear of trans am

I have been digging around and I hate to dig this up but did you find an answer? This does not seem to be common problem.
I have the same problem with my 85 T/A. No burnt wiring, tracks on the cluster are good. It is not any fuses or burnt out bulbs.