Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

PLEASE HELP!!

Old 07-16-2015, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0L 305 V8 TPI
Transmission: Automatic
PLEASE HELP!!

So I let my car sit for about a month because I have been busy with work and going on vacation. I decided yesterday to go out and take the car for a drive, she started right up but about 3 seconds or more, the engine started dropping RPMs and stalled itself out. Now I bought this car in the spring with a little over 160k miles and was originally a 6 cyl. and the previous owner said that the car wouldnt run with the MAF sensor plugged in; he said that you had to start it a couple of times to get it to run. He had it always unplugged and it drove fine. i owned it from spring til now and drove it like that. Yesterday, i plugged it back in and it stalled 3 times like I previously stated. So i unplugged it and started her back up and she ran like she always did for, about a minute. Then she started to slowly drop RPM, almost like she was bogging, so the RPMs got lower and lower then she stalled again and i gave up on driving her for the day. I go out today to drive her and she won't crank or anything. theres no click or anything. the battery is fine, i purchased it about a month and a half ago. PLEASE HELP! I have tech school starting on the 3rd of August and this is my project car for tech school, i have very limited mechanics knowledge and i have only wrenches and a socket set. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!! I also forgot to mention its a 305 V8 TPI engine
Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4
Re: PLEASE HELP!!

Originally Posted by Tony Ferrarri
So I let my car sit for about a month because I have been busy with work and going on vacation. I decided yesterday to go out and take the car for a drive, she started right up but about 3 seconds or more, the engine started dropping RPMs and stalled itself out. Now I bought this car in the spring with a little over 160k miles and was originally a 6 cyl. and the previous owner said that the car wouldnt run with the MAF sensor plugged in; he said that you had to start it a couple of times to get it to run. He had it always unplugged and it drove fine. i owned it from spring til now and drove it like that. Yesterday, i plugged it back in and it stalled 3 times like I previously stated. So i unplugged it and started her back up and she ran like she always did for, about a minute. Then she started to slowly drop RPM, almost like she was bogging, so the RPMs got lower and lower then she stalled again and i gave up on driving her for the day. I go out today to drive her and she won't crank or anything. theres no click or anything. the battery is fine, i purchased it about a month and a half ago. PLEASE HELP! I have tech school starting on the 3rd of August and this is my project car for tech school, i have very limited mechanics knowledge and i have only wrenches and a socket set. PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!! I also forgot to mention its a 305 V8 TPI engine
I agree that a battery shouldn't go flat in thirty days. But take a volt meter and confirm the battery is at full charge. Or better yet, remove it and have it charged and tested at a DIY parts place. Can't diagnose what sounds like and electrical problem with a flat battery.

Once you have a known good battery you can work on the starting problem and then move onto your stalling problem.

Search this Thread