Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!
View Poll Results: Are Thirdgens Worth What people are Asking(Then and Now)?
Yes, Most owners are in line with average price
17.54%
Sometimes owners are asking too much
45.61%
Most owners are asking too much
36.84%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Honestly... Are Thirdgens worth THAT MUCH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honestly... Are Thirdgens worth THAT MUCH?

I have been a thirdgen owner for 20+ years and the BIGGEST complaint that I have is thirdgen owners always think their car is worth WAY more than the average selling prices. After owning many of these cars over the years, I graduated to buying my first TTA in 2000. Having Many of those (6) I have still adored the sleek look of a Z28 and Trans am, but I find TTA's are more in line with the market than ALL the other thirdgens out there...Well almost all..

I feel alone in the thirdgen world because I know most of these cars are not being sold for TTA prices and the cheaper cars that I used to enjoy are nearing a higher mileage TTA. Were talking a few grand difference when the cars are night and day in performance and collectability.

But you dont have to own a TTA to see this. I seen it back in the day(mid 90's) too. A quick search on Craigslist leaves you wondering what these people are actually thinking? I just shake my head and laugh. Most other cars have been in line on price that I researched from years ago to now. My dad is a hot rodder and had many cars over the years and I only find this frustrating price battle with thirdgen owners.

Anyway,am I right about this phenomenon, or am I just alone (God I hope not).
Old 07-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover
Re: Honestly... Are Thirdgens worth THAT MUCH?

It could be to the fact that a lot of these cars a SERIOUS money pits.
They might be trying to recoup some of the thousands and thousands some of these cars require to reach the condition they are in when they put them onto the market.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:11 AM

I just brought my son a 92RS. I prob paid to much but it drove good and it needs work interior mainly.
I started pricing a few parts and before replacing anything I will list of a few parts worth more then the whole car. Example dashpad close to $500, crazy.
May wind up and just driving it and selling parts lol.
Old 07-19-2015, 01:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

they are money pits that are generally owned by people that don't understand that they are actually pretty poorly built examples of what GM was making in the 80's. they also don't understand that it's not automatically worth $1500 more just because you put $1500 in parts to fix either the drivetrain or suspension back to something resembling new- it's still a $1000 car that they happen to have just put $1500 into..
Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM

You sound like you're whining because third gens overall are going up in price, getting to close to that amazing TTA you "graduated" to. Third gens in general are going to go up in price, they wont stay 500 dollar cars for ever. Just like the 1st gens didn't. Seem like these price threads come up way more than they should on here.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Supreme Member

Received 745 Likes on 505 Posts
Car: 1989-92 FORMULA350 305 92 Hawkclone
Engine: 4++,350 & 305 CIs
Transmission: 700R4 4800 vig 18th700R4 t56 ZF6 T5
Axle/Gears: 3.70 9"ford alum chunk,dana44,9bolt

Yup, prices are on the rise for the higher performance optioned cars, up to and past TTA values.
The base cars will most likely stay lower unless it is a stupid low mile well kept car.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 659 Likes on 469 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by Podium
Seem like these price threads come up way more than they should on here.

And yet you post to it ? Am I missing something here and it's mandatory to post to a thread whether you like it or not ? Since I see no forced participation in any thread here at TGO , why is it folks will post to a thread , just to bemoan the thread's very existence ?

Now as to third gen pricing , it really is simply supply and demand . What's it been , 23 or so model years since the last third gen rolled off the line ? How many are being parted every day , or being left to rot and become useless out of the ever dwindling pool of available cars ? A tipping point will be reached where there won't be nearly as many cars as there will be folks who want to own them , who knows , we may be getting close to reaching that now , and so the prices will skyrocket . Some day 50 years into the future when a third gen is as rare as Hen's teeth , people will pay stupid money for one , that you can count on .
Old 07-19-2015, 11:03 AM

You sound like you're whining because third gens overall are going up in price, getting to close to that amazing TTA you "graduated" to. Third gens in general are going to go up in price, they wont stay 500 dollar cars for ever. Just like the 1st gens didn't. Seem like these price threads come up way more than they should on here.
You have a comprehension problem or your trying to read between imaginary lines.
I agree that 3rd gens are going up in price, but owners are still asking too much and have been for many years.

This isnt a "Price" thread on what my car is worth, or what our cars are worth?

I have owned many non 3rd gen cars too including: 55 chevy BBC 454, 65 Impala SS 396 and many others that i could go on about, but thats not the point. Some people in the other car world are off on pricing, but when it comes to these 3rd gens, its almost a sure bet it will be overpriced.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:05 AM

I dont have a doubt that these cars will go up in value, but in the mean time, owners are still asking too much.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 T/A

They are worth whatever they can get someone to open up the wallet for......you can ask whatever sale price you want,it comes down to cash in the drive way making the deal.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: modified 350
Transmission: high performance built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73

We are mostly gear heads at heart.So you build a killer motor and you want to put it in an older chevy any chevy.Try and find one that isn't rusted to crap.You will have a hard time Finding one.The Third gens are the only ones out there that won't break the bank,are in good condition and affordable.And with a little work drive and handle great.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:40 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9

Personally I think these cars are still in the "beater" rutt and over the years will eventually go up in value as most cars do, due to collectablity.

I know people on my craigslist smoke crack. I bought my 86 trans am last year that had new shocks, tuneup, brakes and a near perfect interior for 2 grand. Now a days I find mid 90s camaros with v6s not running for 2 grand. All the decent ones cost way too much. Not to say that people don't do that because I've been offered money at stop lights for my car several times (my trans am isn't even that nice looking) but offering my 5 grand cash right there. So I don't know. These will be collectible soon. Because even the Chevy 218 is very very expensive
Old 07-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

Just like with any car model some owners just want too much. I don't feel as the third gens are over priced as a whole. Still a lot of good sub $3500 third gens out there. I see them all the time in my area.

Prices on them are going up though and will continue to go up. It is true you can pick up a 4th gen cheaper than a third gen now and has been that away for about 5 years or so. That is only going to get worse until the 4th gens gets 30+ years old

Here are just a few from my local craigslist
'82 pace car $5,000 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/5129897938.html
'92 $3200 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5103471502.html
'92 $2500 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/wat/cto/5064787243.html
'86 $3000 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5064635417.html
'89 GTA $4000 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5089449670.html
'85 TA $2000 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5089818506.html
'88 formula with 2 engines $5000 http://columbusga.craigslist.org/cto/5094401048.html
Old 07-20-2015, 08:16 AM

Received 348 Likes on 275 Posts
Car: 1988 Iroc
Engine: L98 350
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Hawks 8.8 - 3.73

You can't really compare a very low production model like the TTA with joe average thirdgen. The economics are completely different.

OK, so this actually happened this past weekend at our local Cars & Coffee show. I was standing there with my car, talking to two guys who were probably in there late 40's. Both had previously owned thirdgens back in the 80's. Now my car looks fairly stock, and it's super clean inside and out, but is not stock enough to be a survivor, and too moded to be "stock". I've got a built 350, full aftermarket suspension, restored interior.....I mean it's nice. We were discussing value as one of the guys was shopping for a thirdgen Camaro. I told him that I had well over $20k in my car (without really adding it up), it was insured for $15k, but that if I were to HAVE to sell it, I'd list it for around $12, and maybe hope to get $10. (although I wouldn't dare sell it for that without really looking at the market). I kid you not, both guy's jaws dropped. ONE guy thought it was worth maybe $6 or $7 grand, the other was surprised it wouldn't get $20k. Now to be fair, personally I think they were BOTH wrong, and that I was pretty close to think $10 to $12. But that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. No one really knows. If two of use were looking to make a deal, it would all depend who was doing the selling and who was doing the buying!!!!! ....there's not really a set price book to go by.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Abubaca
You can't really compare a very low production model like the TTA with joe average thirdgen. The economics are completely different.

OK, so this actually happened this past weekend at our local Cars & Coffee show. I was standing there with my car, talking to two guys who were probably in there late 40's. Both had previously owned thirdgens back in the 80's. Now my car looks fairly stock, and it's super clean inside and out, but is not stock enough to be a survivor, and too moded to be "stock". I've got a built 350, full aftermarket suspension, restored interior.....I mean it's nice. We were discussing value as one of the guys was shopping for a thirdgen Camaro. I told him that I had well over $20k in my car (without really adding it up), it was insured for $15k, but that if I were to HAVE to sell it, I'd list it for around $12, and maybe hope to get $10. (although I wouldn't dare sell it for that without really looking at the market). I kid you not, both guy's jaws dropped. ONE guy thought it was worth maybe $6 or $7 grand, the other was surprised it wouldn't get $20k. Now to be fair, personally I think they were BOTH wrong, and that I was pretty close to think $10 to $12. But that's exactly the point I'm trying to make. No one really knows. If two of use were looking to make a deal, it would all depend who was doing the selling and who was doing the buying!!!!! ....there's not really a set price book to go by.
My post is NOT comparing the TTA to a thirdgen. That is completely OFF base here. You need to re-read the original post again.
I'll "play" along with that scenario tho. In your "economics" you state you cant compare the TTA to a thirdgen....This is like saying "A dollar is worth a Dollar". .... You have to compare the thirdgens to something to get its worth. Just like the Dollar to Yen, or BP, ect.. We are trying to find out if the 3rd gen owners are asking too much for their cars.

Your Proof by Example (inappropriate generalization) fallacy of a story at a cars and coffee has nothing to stand on.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:11 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

Agree with nhgator

"They are worth whatever they can get someone to open up the wallet for......you can ask whatever sale price you want,it comes down to cash in the drive way making the deal."

Now if you have a total POS and are asking a outrageous price for it, sure, it's over priced.

On the other had, If you had a few "Survivors" or a "Limited Production" 3 Gen's, in near perfect condition..sure. If you can get your asking price, go for it.

I'll sell mine.
89TTA 28K miles.... 25k
85 WS6 Survivor, 56k miles....10k.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by t-top89
My post is NOT comparing the TTA to a thirdgen. That is completely OFF base here. You need to re-read the original post again.
I'll "play" along with that scenario tho. In your "economics" you state you cant compare the TTA to a thirdgen....This is like saying "A dollar is worth a Dollar". .... You have to compare the thirdgens to something to get its worth. Just like the Dollar to Yen, or BP, ect.. We are trying to find out if the 3rd gen owners are asking too much for their cars.

Your Proof by Example (inappropriate generalization) fallacy of a story at a cars and coffee has nothing to stand on.
Completely of base? You're the one one brought up the comparison . Abubaca gives you a good example of what you ask and youre nothing but rude and act as if youre his intellectual superior. Get off you high horse and sell your car for 5k.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:42 AM

I find TTA's are more in line with the market than ALL the other thirdgens out there..
That is, in every way possible, a comparison. ...but regardless, my point about not being able to compare, is that for the most part, a TTA sells as a collector car. ...the average thirdgen MAY be purchased as a collectible, or as a cheap platform for a race car, or as a cheap daily driver to get back and forth from work. And they all hold a different value to both the seller and buyer.

...now I've read your post over a few times, per your suggestion, and to be completely honestly, I'm not sure exactly what it is you're trying to say, or ask, other that whether or not Thirdgens are worth THAT MUCH. Per the thread title. MY point, as stated in my post is that it's not black and white, and that it's kinda up to the seller, and really ultimately the buyer as to what it's worth, and not up to you or I on a message forum. That statement being an answer to your question.

...sorry I ruffled your feather so much. Wasn't my intention.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 AM

Completely of base? You're the one one brought up the comparison . Abubaca gives you a good example of what you ask and youre nothing but rude and act as if youre his intellectual superior. Get off you high horse and sell your car for 5k.
Im stating facts and keeping to the point....Sorry if that offends you.
Your statements of getting off my high horse and selling my car for 5k Could be taken as offensive. I choose to let it roll off my back, but I think its more of an issue with yourself.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:10 AM

...anyhow, regardless of what comparisons were or were not made, and regardless of what story may have been generalizations, your original question, and my original answer remains.

Are Thirdgen worth THAT MUCH.

My answer, by example, was that 3 people had 3 grossly different expectations as to what my car was worth. ...and I'm sure that most thirdgens would be the same. Simply the fact that you asked the question shows you think they're worth less, and the buyers think they're worth more. I'm not saying who's right, but rather that our cars are extremely fluid in their value right now. I think there are a lot of cars out there that may be priced high, but that's merely a function of that fluidity. We recently discussed a gorgeous 92 1LE that the owner was asking $60k for. High? Probably. But the owner KNOWS the state of these cars, the fact the prices are going up, and he's taking a shot. The market will ultimately price the cars. You said my example was a generalization. I think the question is a little too general as well, but I think I know what you mean. I think the nice short answer is that prices are most certainly going up, values are most certainly going up, and consequently a few of the prices we're seeing are probably a little high, but not as high as you might think.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Thirdgens and part prices have always been all over the place. I guess I don't understand why it bothers some people? Sure I get frustrated when I pay what I think is a fair price but when I go to sell it's a completely different situation. Most of the Thirdgen market are more budget conscious. That's a major attraction imo, and also why the same people try to make a buck if they can. Or in other cases, at least try to get some of their money back out of it. Some of it is also where the wife wants a guy to sell, but he doesn't want to.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:54 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Scorpner
Thirdgens and part prices have always been all over the place. I guess I don't understand why it bothers some people? Sure I get frustrated when I pay what I think is a fair price but when I go to sell it's a completely different situation. Most of the Thirdgen market are more budget conscious. That's a major attraction imo, and also why the same people try to make a buck if they can. Or in other cases, at least try to get some of their money back out of it. Some of it is also where the wife wants a guy to sell, but he doesn't want to.
So true Scorpner. It seems I always buy high and sell low no matter how hard I try. It depends on place, situation, and timing. If ya feel like you got a good deal, great.

Some day my ship will come in.......and I'll beat the airport!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 SC, 86 Berlinetta
Engine: V6, V8
Transmission: 700r4, 700r4

Yes, exactly. Especially with the situation being someone in a bind, or has a lot of money.
Lol @ the ship/airport comment. I think that goes for me as well.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 367 Likes on 296 Posts
Car: 89 Iroc-z
Engine: 555 BBC Turbo
Transmission: TH400
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

When i was shopping for my first thirdgen i found alot under 3500 that were ok condition. Some real good cars around 4500-5500. That was in 03. I got a 131k mile 89 L98 irocz in original condition all stock from factory for 4800$. Real happy with that for what i got.

Now it seems a car like that could bring few grand more from some of the asking prices i have seen recently.

Just last year i bought a 91 z28. 130k miles all stock original condition with new interior as per orginal color, 305 tpi car auto for 3500$. Needs alittle paint work to front nose, lower gfx scraped and lots of daily driver rock chips. I felt that was a good deal. 3-4 other cars in same price range were nowhere near the quality and condition

So maybe i got lucky but i honestly feel with alittle tlc to this 91 i could sell it for 4500-5000. Not sure i want to but it is on the table. Lol right buyer would have to come along

Prices seem to vary but i have seen a few ads for cars that are way overpriced imo
Old 07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

If you get a 3rd gen its a good investment usually for you only. They are cheap to get into and they can be made into great cars all around. Upgrade it, whatever..make yourself happy with it and enjoy it. Usually when you go to sell one though you will lose $. I had a nice GTA with new engine, interior, paint..etc on and on probably close to 10k in it and most all the work done by me and my dad and had to sell it for like $3800. It hurts. I will have a ton of $ in the car I own now but I don't plan to sell it but if I do I don't expect to make anything at all. I flip cars now and then and its usually G-body cars that are the easiest flip to make a lil $ on. Third gens are getting more attention and prices are creeping up but I haven't seen a lot of good deals close by lately for sure.
Old 07-20-2015, 02:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
Car: 1983 Z28
Engine: 385 Fastburn
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 9-bolt posi, 3.27 gears

From what I've seen the 'average thirdgen' (this title encompasses Z28s, RSs, TransAms, and GTAs) are reasonably priced with a few outliers. The insanity comes in to play (in my opinion) on cars like the B4C and 1LE with 50,000 miles and someone wants 30k for it (not a real scenario, just hypothetical).

I agree with whoever it was that said that we don't have anything solid to compare prices to, because they are literally all over the board. There are still quite a few running, or fixable rides out there. I think that price points will become more locked in when the only cars available are in 1 of 3 conditions:

1-not running, rust bucket, shell, etc.

2-running, 'driver quality' restoration.

3-OMGOODNESS HOW DARE YOU BREATHE ON MY CAR FROM BEHIND THE 20' BARRICADE THAT I PERSONALLY BUILT quality restoration. (this would include the crazy 4-mile, I flinstone it to shows, cars as well).

Right now there are just too many 'in betweens' out there to lock in prices.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC Original Owner
Engine: LB9
Transmission: M39 MM5
Axle/Gears: G80 G92 J65

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
I'll sell mine.
89TTA 28K miles.... 25k

Whaaaat????

I thought you were going to be buried in one of those!

How quickly the love dies.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Car: 89GTA Black, Black cloth
Engine: LB9 26,000 miles
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Australian 9 bolt

Originally Posted by dmccain
If you get a 3rd gen its a good investment usually for you only. They are cheap to get into and they can be made into great cars all around. Upgrade it, whatever..make yourself happy with it and enjoy it. Usually when you go to sell one though you will lose $. I had a nice GTA with new engine, interior, paint..etc on and on probably close to 10k in it and most all the work done by me and my dad and had to sell it for like $3800. It hurts. I will have a ton of $ in the car I own now but I don't plan to sell it but if I do I don't expect to make anything at all. I flip cars now and then and its usually G-body cars that are the easiest flip to make a lil $ on. Third gens are getting more attention and prices are creeping up but I haven't seen a lot of good deals close by lately for sure.
there are some good deals out there I paid $2000 for mine prestine garaged every day limited time in sun all original exept tires and oil ,oil filter,valve seals see my profile for specs rare blk , blk cloth ,manual ,all paperwork
well.......gotta be honest bought from my momshe getting older and too much car for her now but i'll def make money if i decide to sell but unless a very stupid amount crosses me i wont sell she did buy new in 89
Old 07-21-2015, 07:27 AM
Supreme Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob88GTA View Post
I'll sell mine.
89TTA 28K miles.... 25k

Whaaaat????

I thought you were going to be buried in one of those!

How quickly the love dies.

Sure,why not? As t-top89 says,"thirdgen owners always think their car is worth WAY more than the average selling prices"= figure I would jump on the wagon!

After spending a week at Myrtle Beach, SC for Mustang week, looked at a lot of nice cars. I'll liquidate my collection and buy a little EcoBoost V-6 Mustang and be done with the dying breed. I'll sell the 2000 RamAir and Firehawk too....on the "other site"of course.
Again, overpriced asking price.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

As a whole prices in the south west USA are correct. Prices in the Midwest , read rust belt, we're too high. Southwest cars for $2000-3500 will get you a rust free original and nearly dent free good condition base model. $3500-5000 will get you the same but in a z28 or ta. Rust free good condition base model in the Midwest would be $5000. There are crazies all over the place though. I talked to a guy about a 1990 convertible RS. He claimed it was a rebuilt transmission and new paint and a blah blah. He had no receipts or proof of anything so I offered him $3000 which I thought was fair and I could point to other cars asking that. He immediately responded by insulting me personally and cursing in Spanish. Told me he could get $5000 easy. Two weeks later I bought my 91 Z28 convertible for $1500 and he was still trying to sell his over a month later.

I think ultimately it always comes down to the season, bow badly the seller needs it sold, how much the buyer has to spend and how many others are available. Every month that passes there are less available and more potential buyers, prices have slowly been climbing up but I still believe it's a buyers market. Not many more years before Thirdgen follows second gen and it will be a sellers market. I bet by 2020 a rust free good condition V6 will go for close to $5000, who knows what an iroc will go for....

Last edited by Tibo; 07-21-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:00 PM

Car: 89GTA Black, Black cloth
Engine: LB9 26,000 miles
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3.45 Australian 9 bolt

Originally Posted by Tibo
As a whole prices in the south west USA are correct. Prices in the Midwest , read rust belt, we're too high. Southwest cars for $2000-3500 will get you a rust free original and nearly dent free good condition base model. $3500-5000 will get you the same but in a z28 or ta. Rust free good condition base model in the Midwest would be $5000. There are crazies all over the place though. I talked to a guy about a 1990 convertible RS. He claimed it was a rebuilt transmission and new paint and a blah blah. He had no receipts or proof of anything so I offered him $3000 which I thought was fair and I could point to other cars asking that. He immediately responded by insulting me personally and cursing in Spanish. Told me he could get $5000 easy. Two weeks later I bought my 91 Z28 convertible for $1500 and he was still trying to sell his over a month later.

I think ultimately it always comes down to the season, bow badly the seller needs it sold, how much the buyer has to spend and how many others are available. Every month that passes there are less available and more potential buyers, prices have slowly been climbing up but I still believe it's a buyers market. Not many more years before Thirdgen follows second gen and it will be a sellers market. I bet by 2020 a rust free good condition V6 will go for close to $5000, who knows what an iroc will go for....
ultimately a car is only worth what someone will pay bottom line
Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 PM

Car: 1987 IROC, fully original
Engine: 305 4bbl

I'm new here so pardon if I'm barging in. I just wanted to add a recent experience for perspective. Two weeks ago I picked up an all original, rust free, Carbed 87 305 iroc. The most common model ever. Owner started at 4400, I drove it away for 2200. I stopped for gas on the way home and a crowd literally formed around the car. Before I finished filling the tank I got an offer for 3500. Worth it or not, the cars are still popular and still in demand.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by mk1431
ultimately a car is only worth what someone will pay bottom line
And as I said, that is composed of how many others are for sale and how much money the buyer has to spend.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 720 Likes on 490 Posts
Car: 89 Firebird
Engine: 355 TBI
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt.Posi-3.73s

Originally Posted by Irocohio
I'm new here so pardon if I'm barging in. I just wanted to add a recent experience for perspective. Two weeks ago I picked up an all original, rust free, Carbed 87 305 iroc. The most common model ever. Owner started at 4400, I drove it away for 2200. I stopped for gas on the way home and a crowd literally formed around the car. Before I finished filling the tank I got an offer for 3500. Worth it or not, the cars are still popular and still in demand.
True.. I get offers on mine all the time. But 9/10 of them are probably broke and bulls%$*ing.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:01 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
Sure,why not? As t-top89 says,"thirdgen owners always think their car is worth WAY more than the average selling prices"= figure I would jump on the wagon!

After spending a week at Myrtle Beach, SC for Mustang week, looked at a lot of nice cars. I'll liquidate my collection and buy a little EcoBoost V-6 Mustang and be done with the dying breed. I'll sell the 2000 RamAir and Firehawk too....on the "other site"of course.
Again, overpriced asking price.
I get it, I guess everything I've got is for sale too, for the right price! You either own your possessions of they own you - some days I feel like it's the latter and it wouldn't even take that much for you to get them out of my hands.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
I get it, I guess everything I've got is for sale too, for the right price! You either own your possessions of they own you - some days I feel like it's the latter and it wouldn't even take that much for you to get them out of my hands.
They ain't going anywhere anytime soon! But....like you said.......for the right price!
Old 08-13-2015, 06:55 AM

Car: 1987 Camaro Iroc Z28
Engine: comp xr288 /budget aluminums
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt BW 3.42 w/posi

All depends on what trailer park and what style mullit setup
Old 08-13-2015, 11:13 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Axle/Gears: 3.73

I got one. sell it to ya for 15k. needs some work but it rolls down the road..(hill) lol
Old 08-14-2015, 09:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45

Whenever I drive my brothers 92rs I usually get an offer of $4000-$5500. When I drive my 86 trans am ws6 I don't usually get offers I just get the "woah cool car man it's a chick magnet." Most likely they don't offer because it's primered. As others stated its all about condition of the car and how badly someone wants one.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by Ron U.S.M.C.
It could be to the fact that a lot of these cars a SERIOUS money pits.
They might be trying to recoup some of the thousands and thousands some of these cars require to reach the condition they are in when they put them onto the market.
I think it's mainly what Ron says. We buy it for $500-2500 and put in $(your dollar amount here) and some times people think it's worth what they put into it.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:03 PM

Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 406ci
Transmission: T-56 LT1
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I'd pay $10,000 for a nice condition 3rd gen convertible condition - 6,500 plus for a Z28 or Iroc based upon great condition and tasteful upgrades.

they are getting more and more rare and people like them - so they hold their value to those.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Supreme Member

You need to know how to buy them, what it will cost to correct them and have the will to walk away from a car that will be too expensive to fix.
Old 08-15-2015, 06:57 AM
Supreme Member

Disposable income is a big factor also. Can you AFFORD to buy the project and stick with it.
Old 08-15-2015, 07:04 AM
Supreme Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 84 Z28
Engine: 383 Stroker
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Originally Posted by PurelyPMD
You need to know how to buy them, what it will cost to correct them and have the will to walk away from a car that will be too expensive to fix.
yup. Very tough to build a car, to turn around and try to get your money out of it. It dont work that way. If you have the correct mind set from the beginning as stated above, its possible, but still tricky. So its important to know from the start weather you want to keep the car or sell it.

Driving around lately I will tell ya tho, I havent seen a 3rd gen in a while. I swear, mini vans and suv's are taking over. Its sick. No one has any taste anymore. They all look the same...

I do think we will see values increasing. I just hope ppl dont think they are this highly coveted rare jewel, (yet) as I have seen some that do.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 AM
Supreme Member

I had my 91 Z28 out early this morning for a drive - raced some dude in an Audi R8 - we were both smiling.
Old 08-16-2015, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI

A car is (like others have said) worth as much as you can get the buyer to pay for it. Personally I would never sell my car. A thirdgen was my dream car when I was growing up in the mid 80's I remember my first time seeing one when I was around 10. Great car... and now I have one of my very own to call mine. So honestly money is not important. With any hobby then will always be a cost. What you spend for it, and what you feel is a justified cost is entirely up to you and you alone.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:58 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 92 Formula WS6, T-top
Engine: 5.7L T.P.I.
Axle/Gears: Limited slip, 3.23 10 bolt

I paid $4650 for my 92 Formula 20 months ago, it had 154k, but very good paint, very clean engine bay and almost perfect interior. Now, mine is one of 200 made in 92 with the ttop/350 combo, so that makes it very rare but it also needed a rear end rebuild, some trans work and the odds and ends issues a 20+ year old car has. All things considered, I didn't get ripped off totally, but probably overpaid by a few hundred to be honest. But, I wanted the car, so I went for it! By the time I get it paid for and get it to where I want it, I'll probably have $10-12k in it.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:44 PM
TGO Supporter/Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts
Car: '88 Formula, '94 Corvette, '95 Bird
Engine: LC9, 355" LT1, LT1
Transmission: T5, Zf6, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, Dana44 3.45, 3.23

I have around $20,000 into my thirdgen since 2012.

Realistically, it's probably worth about $5,000. ??

But this wasn't an "investment". It was a car I felt like building.

I don't know that thirdgens will ever be as collectible as first gens. Even the 2nd gens are still beaters.. I can't say I ever see them at car shows, but I'll see at least 10 well done first gens.

I've had a few people say "Oh nice is that a camaro?" (it's a firebird), but then walk buy it and look at something else I own that is way more cool.

But they are easy to work on, have a lot of aftermarket support, parts are kinda cheap and plentiful.

-- Joe
Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
Car: '89 Iroc Z28-15,100 Original Miles
Engine: 350 TPI
Axle/Gears: Limited Slip, 2.77 Ratio

I paid $16k for my '89 IROC a few months ago, I probably paid on the high side for it but it was EXACTLY what I've wanted for the last 25 years. I also felt that the car was in the kind of condition that would not require me to spend much money to get her where she needed to be, so I went ahead and gave a little more. I think I did well as I've only spend around a $1000.00 on her and that includes a new set of BFG's and some Lloyd's floor mats. I knew I was not the kind of guy that could correct any major issues on my own nor did I want to have to pay a guy to correct them for me. I basically paid up front for what other guys with mechanical skills would have done and or paid for after the purchase. I also think there are many more guys like me in their 40's and early 50's who are finishing up with the raising of kids and can finally take care of that itch that's been with them since the 80's. These older guys are entering the market and are willing to pay a little more as they seek out these iconic cars of their youth. Just my .02 cents worth.

Last edited by GASPEDDLER; 08-17-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Supreme Member

I agree with ya Gaspeddler.
I was fortunate and old enough back in 85 to cruise the Chevrolet and Pontiac Dealerships and have my pick. I ordered a 85 Bright Blue Metallic with the AeroWing and some other options. That car is long gone. In 88 I purchased my 88 GTA for around 22k. I was a broke Airman in the Air Force, but I had a cool car and still do.
Now that I am older and financially able, I've gone back and got all the cars that "got away" or that I always wanted. Sure people will pay the price, if they are willing to and is something they want.

Mid life thing...maybe, maybe not.

I think we all like and appreciate nice cars and will pay what we have to within each of our budgets to make it a reality.

Last edited by Bob88GTA; 08-17-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Honestly... Are Thirdgens worth THAT MUCH?