Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need troubleshooting help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need troubleshooting help

I have an 84 Z28 HO that has been experiencing a landslide of sudden engine problems. I replaced the electric q-jet with a edelbrock 1406 with electric choke. The qj was beyond rebuilding. The new carb sits on an edelbrock performer eps manifold. Got the carb and timing dialed in perfectly, and the car ran strong. Recently, the fuel pump went out. I had replaced it with an edelbrock pump i had laying around, but it had no return line, unlike the stock pump. It immediately had issues due to that. Unfortunately, i couldn't afford a new pump till payday, and drove for two weeks on the edelbrock pump. Had tons of misfires and symptoms of vapor lock. I also replaced the fuel lines, since the old ones broke. The alternator ended up frying and the battery died. I bought a new stock style pump and replaced battery and alternator. Started the car and it ran perfect. For 30 mins. Now the car struggles at 2-3k rpm, and generally runs poorly. I replaced the plugs/wires, cap/rotor were fairly new. Fuel system has been replaced for the most part. Thinking its ignition related. The timing advance is electronically controlled from the factory. Car does ok past 3k rpm. Could distributor be the issue?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears
Re: Need troubleshooting help

The distributor is your main, #1 prob.

You can not run a stock elec./ecu controlled distributor with a non ecu controlled carb.

Once you swap one, you must swap both. Now that you have a std. non ccc carb you need a std. large cap, coil in cap, vac advance HEI distributor.

I really highly doubt you immediately had issues due to no return fuel line... 9 million plus cars have ran for 100 years with out a fuel return line.

I really think the prob with the edelbrock fuel pump was pressure. One version is a 6 psi pump and other one is a 10 psi pump. They say the 6 psi pump " does not require a regulator" but when used with an edelbrock carb it does.

The edelbrock carbs do not like over 5.5 psi. Above that the pressure pushes the needles out of the seats. It's best to run the edelbrock and carter carbs at 4.5 to 5.5 psi. I run a regulator and set mine to 5.0 to 5.25 psi on all mine with edelbrock carbs.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I replaced almost everything on the fuel system, aside from the pump to tank lines. Needed to anyway, as replacing one component caused another to break. I assumed it was ignition related, and i suspected the distributor for the reasons you explained. Thanks for verifying. Is there a distributor you could recommend that is plug and play?
Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro
Engine: 355, 10.34:1, 249/252 @.050", IK200
Transmission: TH-400, 3500 stall 9.5" converter
Axle/Gears: Ford 9", detroit locker, 3.89 gears

One of the best bangs for the buck in new units is from Skip white http://www.skipwhiteperformance.com/...px?Item=6500-R $40 brand new

And really all of the cheap ones are about the same, you won't see any real diff in brands on new aftermarket until you move up into the $200 and up units.

Other than that, a good factory stock GM delco remy vac advance HEI