Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Suddenly Engine Codes. Lots of them

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1992 Camaro 5speed 305 tbi

Hey guys, last night I got off work and noticed I had half a tank of gas. Well, I'll be doing soem driving tonight, so Ill go fill up at the WaWa Gas station that I've filled up at before. Put 24 bucks in, and the needle is past Full. Great, full tank of gas.

1)The has never done this before, but as soon as I started the car up after filling it up, it ran very rough for the first few seconds. It would surge in idle and I'd have to tap the gas every second to keep it from dying. After five seconds of this, the car idled out like it should and everything seemed normal.

once I arrived to my destination which was about 20 miles from the WaWa gas station, I parked and let the car idle. 2)I noticed that my exhaust smelled like fireworks. This could be due to the out of the box magnaflow cat that was just recently put on the car in April (It has always had a funny smell, and I always attributed to it getting broken in)

After I started my car up once more to go to a new location, the car ran rough again, same start up surging, and then levels off after 5 seconds. 3)This time my check engine light was immediately on And thats new. Normally, the check engine light only comes on after decealeration, because the Air intake Temperatire sensor was never hooked back up (It's running an open element air filter atm)

When I rode the car home finally, i also4) noticed there was some hesitation between 12-1700 rpm.

I pulled the codes and I have codes

Bam. Just like that, within less than an hour. 5 codes seemingly out of no where. http://www.iroczone.com/2009/10/1982...maro-firebird/
23. Air intake charge
32. egr system
33. mass air flow
53.system over voltage
54. fuel pump circuit

Any help would be appreicated. Im heading to work so ill respond to any questions later tonight. Thanks so much guys
Old 08-05-2015, 11:22 PM

Hey guys, last night I got off work and noticed I had half a tank of gas. Well, I'll be doing soem driving tonight, so Ill go fill up at the WaWa Gas station that I've filled up at before. Put 24 bucks in, and the needle is past Full. Great, full tank of gas.

1)The has never done this before, but as soon as I started the car up after filling it up, it ran very rough for the first few seconds. It would surge in idle and I'd have to tap the gas every second to keep it from dying. After five seconds of this, the car idled out like it should and everything seemed normal.

once I arrived to my destination which was about 20 miles from the WaWa gas station, I parked and let the car idle. 2)I noticed that my exhaust smelled like fireworks. This could be due to the out of the box magnaflow cat that was just recently put on the car in April (It has always had a funny smell, and I always attributed to it getting broken in)

After I started my car up once more to go to a new location, the car ran rough again, same start up surging, and then levels off after 5 seconds. 3)This time my check engine light was immediately on And thats new. Normally, the check engine light only comes on after decealeration, because the Air intake Temperatire sensor was never hooked back up (It's running an open element air filter atm)

When I rode the car home finally, i also4) noticed there was some hesitation between 12-1700 rpm.

Bam. Just like that, within less than an hour. 5 codes seemingly out of no where. http://www.iroczone.com/2009/10/1982...maro-firebird/
23. Air intake charge
32. egr system
33. mass air flow
53.system over voltage
54. fuel pump circuit

Any help would be appreicated. Im heading to work so ill respond to any questions later tonight. Thanks so much guys
Old 08-05-2015, 11:39 PM

Suddenly lots of engine codes

23. Air intake charge
32. egr system
33. mass air flow
53.system over voltage
54. fuel pump circuit

Old 08-06-2015, 12:24 AM

Hey guys, last night I got off work and noticed I had half a tank of gas. Well, I'll be doing some driving tonight, so Ill go fill up at the WaWa Gas station that I've filled up at before. Put 24 bucks in, and the needle is past Full. Great, full tank of gas.

1)It has never done this before, but as soon as I started the car up after filling it up, it ran very rough for the first few seconds. It would surge in idle and I'd have to tap the gas every second to keep it from dying. After five seconds of this, the car idled out like it should and everything seemed normal.

23. Air intake charge
32. egr system
33. mass air flow
53.system over voltage
54. fuel pump circuit

Old 08-09-2015, 07:43 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Suddenly Engine Codes. Lots of them

Clutch/SE - One thread is usually sufficient.

I would guess the odor you detected way the result of the new cat converter running hot. Metallic and sulphurus odors are common in new converters, but tend to be more noticeable when the converter is hot due to a lean condition, restriction, excessively rich condition, or other causes. It may be a symptom of what's happening.

Other than the expected 23 from the disconnected AIT sensor, the codes are likely the result of some electrical problem(s). Among the most concerning are the 53 and 54. Those two codes may indicate an overhcharge condition, failed diode in the alternator, poor grounding, failing FP relay or its wiring, and a host of other problems.

The 33 for a MAF high flow and 32 for the EGR may be secondary problems cause by erratic system voltage or connections.

A voltmeter and good schematics are going to be useful in diagnosing this. Monitoring the FP voltage, battery voltage, and MAF output voltage while the engine is running can shed soem light on the possible causes.