Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Engine stalls after several minutes

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine stalls after several minutes

Hello,

I have a 1992 Z28 with 31,xxx miles. Last year there was an issue with two bad original injectors which were shorting out the computer and would stop the engine. Once cool the car would restart, but still miss. I had these two injectors replaced(the shop did this without telling me while diagnosing or I would have had them all done at once). The car ran fine when I brought it home from the shop and it ran fine several times after that . This year I have replaced the fuel pump relay due to no fuel pressure, pick-up coil and ignition module due to no start, spark plug wires(due to a burn mark in one of them) and all injectors due to a no warning stall condition. The car will start fine cold then after about 4 minutes it will stall with no warning. This is when just idling in park as I do not trust the car to drive it anywhere. If you try to restart the car from the on position it will crank but not start. It will start if I turn the key back off and then restart. It will run for a few minutes and stall again. My key does have the chip in it and I have tried my spare key with no improvement. My question is should the car restart from the on position after stalling or does the computer(or something else) need to be reset by turning the key off first before trying to restart. This is probably only proven by a stick shift car when stalled with the clutch. I am hoping someone out there knows the answer to this question. as I am wondering if the computer is bad due to the shorting of the drivers during the issues with the bad injectors. I was hoping the fact it couldn't be restarted from the on position of the ignition switch would be a key indicator of where the problem is. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan F; 08-18-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old 08-18-2015, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 85 T/A
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BW Limited Slip 3.27 w/disc brakes
Re: Engine stalls after several minutes

Your computer is probably the source of your issues, try swapping it out with a new unit or one from a junk yard.
Old 08-18-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Engine stalls after several minutes

Originally Posted by mcquigg
Your computer is probably the source of your issues, try swapping it out with a new unit or one from a junk yard.
Thank you for your help and advice.