Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Air Filter Question, not the usual I dont think

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73
Air Filter Question, not the usual I dont think

Hi guys, new to the forums here, but have been reading them for a while and I am finding the info amazing!

I have several threads on open air element vs enclosed air filter with single snorkel, dual snorkel, cold air, but I have not run across anything about a hybrid type. Since it is very difficult to come across a dual snorkel for my car, wish I would have bought one 20 years ago when I got the car, I was considering leaving the single snorkel, but cutting out a portion of the housing. It would be a cross between open air and enclosed, and adding the k&n top that has a filter in it. How does anyone think this would work? Has anyone tried it before. I am thinking cutting a hole in the back so it wouldn't be seen.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 140 Likes on 116 Posts
Car: 92 Firebird, 77 Trans Am SE, 86 Z28
Engine: 5.7 HSR, T/A 6.6, empty
Transmission: T-5, TH350, T-5
Axle/Gears: 3.08 posi, 3.23 posi, 3.23
Re: Air Filter Question, not the usual I dont think

You could do that, at that point you may as well have an open element. One of the points of having the snorkel is to bring cooler, non-radiator heated air to the intake manifold. With it partly open it negates that cooler air. A 305 tbi with 2.73 gears, the air cleaner is the least of the non performance parts on the car.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Forget the pricey (and worthless) K&N filter lids. They do nothing but HURT performance in a situation where hood clearance is already at a premium.

I've cut open "extra air openings" on restrictive single snorkel setups before and yes, they help flow some.

The TBI air cleaner is particularly bad, in my opinion, not just because of the single snorkel but also because it's got a charcoal ring and a metal "wall" inside it. Open it up- you'll see what I mean.

In those cases where I cut a chunk out of them, I duct taped it closed in the cold weather so the factory heat stove system would still supply warm air to prevent throttle plate icing.

If you want something a little different looking, buy another TBI air cleaner to play with, remove the snorkel from it and graft it onto your existing air cleaner. Homemade dual snorkel on the cheap. If you can get it pointed the right way you might even be able to get a factory air duct on it to match the one on the driver's side.

Of course, a cheap 14" open element drop base air cleaner is going to be a lot easier than any of these options.
Old 08-21-2015, 03:03 PM

Car: 89 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 2.73

I was actually thinking of buying a second one and making my own dual snorkel, wasn't sure if anyone had tried that before. I was thinking that just cutting a hole in it would cause all of the air to go to the least restrictive opening an therefore passing the existing snorkel all together and basically be an open element.Years ago I did buy and install a K&N air filter and got rid of the stock one. Car has been sitting for 15 years, just going through my head what I want to do to it. Want to keep the original engine in it. Looking forward to getting my first car back on the road, first have to get it running...
Old 08-22-2015, 05:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 86 Camaro
Engine: 355- hopefully a 5.3 this summer
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

my custom home made no dollar air cleaner setup:

it's an older (80's something big car or truck) snorkel riveted to an F body base, with the older lid and element inside it. it's hooked up to the stock V6 air cleaner housing with the filters and all baffles removed... rams a ton of high pressure air into the carb- enough to make the carb cold to the touch and covered with condensation after 5 miles on the highway on 90+ degree days...
Old 08-04-2018, 08:29 AM

Car: 1989 Firebird Formula

Installing a simple Open Element today I put it on temporarily last night and I noticed a few things.

(1) the idle sound was different
(2) engine seemed not as loud under hood and better from rear exhaust
(3) 1st gear burned tires could just be me but it seemed faster

Question is can I relocate sensors etc... to fire wall or make new holes in pan to attach? Not worried about emissions where I live. Thx