Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel injectors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28 L98 G92
Engine: 5.7 350 B2L
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Fuel injectors

First off I'd like to give a big shout out to Frank at SouthBay Fuel Injectors.

After my mechanic said the injectors I ordered were too big, I called SouthBay and spoke to Frank. Frank verified that I did indeed have the right injectors for my engine and that the mechanic wasn't following the instructions included with the box of injectors. Frank then said he personally wanted to talk to the mechanic so that the injectors got installed properly, and that he has dealt with these situations many times before. The mechanic understood what Frank told him and installed the injectors without any further problems. My car now runs great!

I ordered from SouthBay Fuel Injectors based on their reputation here on TGO. This was first class service all the way and I can't thank Frank enough for going the extra mile to set things right with my mechanic. My car runs so much better with the new injectors and I would not hesitate to order from them again.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Fuel injectors

I'm afraid to even ask, but,,, .... , ... I just can't help it.

How does one install injectors incorrectly? What kind of "instructions" did this "mechanic" not follow?
Old 09-07-2015, 02:27 PM

I've never installed injectors myself, and I'm guessing you have never read threads were people have problems installing injectors. SouthBay Fuel Injectors are a tight fit (insert your joke here) and the mechanic thought they would just slip in like the originals. It appears many mechanics assume the Bosch III Fuel Injectors with Adapter are too wide for the manifold.

The instructions: Before installing injectors, be sure to lubricate O-rings, you can use something as simple as dish soap. "Important" It is suggested that you install the injectors into the INTAKE MANIFOLD FIRST and then into the fuel rail so as not to acquire a leak at the rail.

You will find that these injectors may not have a place for the clips...they do not require clips as the pressure from the fuel rail holds them in.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:23

I just ordered a set of 22lbs injectors from SouthBay Fuel Injectors and was just going to ask about the upper clip.... Thanks!
Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
I'm afraid to even ask, but,,, .... , ... I just can't help it.

How does one install injectors incorrectly? What kind of "instructions" did this "mechanic" not follow?
Originally Posted by webeeZ28
I've never installed injectors myself, and I'm guessing you have never read threads were people have problems installing injectors. SouthBay Fuel Injectors are a tight fit (insert your joke here) and the mechanic thought they would just slip in like the originals. It appears many mechanics assume the Bosch III Fuel Injectors with Adapter are too wide for the manifold.

The instructions: Before installing injectors, be sure to lubricate O-rings, you can use something as simple as dish soap. "Important" It is suggested that you install the injectors into the INTAKE MANIFOLD FIRST and then into the fuel rail so as not to acquire a leak at the rail.

You will find that these injectors may not have a place for the clips...they do not require clips as the pressure from the fuel rail holds them in.

WeBee thanks for the thumbs up. Sofakingdom I’m glad you did ask. Our instructions come from experience in adapting Bosch injectors to theTpi and it’s a suggested procedure. If anyone has any questions, please do nothesitate to call us. That’s what we’re here for.
Frank
Old 09-07-2015, 08:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,668 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Lubricating O-rings would seem to be a normal part of installing ANY O-ring sealed fitting; A/C, power steering, fuel, whatever. One would think (I realize I'm treading dangerously close to "assume"!!) that a "mechanic" would be familiar with such things. It's not really specific to TPI IMO.

I usually use dielectric grease (silicone... D-C 4) on fuel O-rings; seems to be about the most inert and universal thing there is. Much as one would use the same oil to do A/C ones as whatever goes into the system, white lithium grease on oil systems, etc.

All the same, thanks for chiming in.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by FormulasOnly
I just ordered a set of 22lbs injectors from SouthBay Fuel Injectors and was just going to ask about the upper clip.... Thanks!

Good to hear the info helped. Good luck with your project
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 AM
Supreme Member

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Formula
Engine: SP383 Deluxe FIRST® TPI Intake
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" Eaton Truetrac Motive 3.89

Originally Posted by webeeZ28

I did install mine and it's true that they were tighter compare to OEM. I followed the instructions like any amateur would do and it worked fine. It needed a gentle tap with a rubber hammer using dish soap.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Lubricating O-rings would seem to be a normal part of installing ANY O-ring sealed fitting; A/C, power steering, fuel, whatever. One would think (I realize I'm treading dangerously close to "assume"!!) that a "mechanic" would be familiar with such things. It's not really specific to TPI IMO.

I usually use dielectric grease (silicone... D-C 4) on fuel O-rings; seems to be about the most inert and universal thing there is. Much as one would use the same oil to do A/C ones as whatever goes into the system, white lithium grease on oil systems, etc.

All the same, thanks for chiming in.

Correct me if I'm wrong but i think the reference to installing fuel injectors other than using dish soap on the orings had to do with installing the bosch lll's. Most of the time when mechanics see bosch lll injectors they insist that they are incorrect, some refuse to install them...they are just not familiar with them. One of the biggest issues that we have found over the years with the bosch lll's is that if they are not installed into the intake manifold first and then the rail, fuel sprays out from the top (rail side). That's why we include installations instructions.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:56 AM

Just did mine yesterday, Went in clean as can be. Intake manifold side first, line up the fuel rail side and tighten it down evenly and slowly. Used dish soap as lube. When I first hit the key and pressurized the system there was an air purge sound and a slight smell of fuel but it stopped and cleared up. 2nd 3rd and 4th startup with no sound and no smell...
Old 09-13-2015, 04:36 PM

Just a follow up... #7 injector started leaking at the fuel rail.... So Yippeee!!! I get to put that apart again... I''l follow up with what went haywire ...
Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 149 Likes on 122 Posts
Car: '91 Firebird Formula
Engine: SP383 Deluxe FIRST® TPI Intake
Transmission: Tremec T56
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" Eaton Truetrac Motive 3.89

Originally Posted by FormulasOnly
Just a follow up... #7 injector started leaking at the fuel rail.... So Yippeee!!! I get to put that apart again... I''l follow up with what went haywire ...
The joy of DIY. You go from to
Best of luck!
Old 09-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Sponsor

make sure you lubricate the oring when you install them. Leaking from the rail side is an installation or oring issue