Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Strange ECT Response over time

Old 09-20-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 420 EFI
Transmission: TKO500
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3:50
Strange ECT Response over time

Hi Guys,

I had to fix a leaking cylinder head plug on my engine.

Before the "fix", the ECT sensor readings were normal. Please see the "normal" picture.

After the leaking plug fix, I filled the cooling system with new coolant and noticed some strange ECT behavior. Please see the "weird" pictures.

I have checked the wiring. No problems detected.

The engine coolant level is now stable. So I assume the system is packed with coolant and any air bubbles are long gone.

No error codes are reported.

The dash gauge appears to indicate the expected (180 F) temperature. I do not look at this gauge frequently while driving. So some observation error is possible.

Thoughts:

The ECT values are not at end-limit values. So I have assumed the wiring is not intermittently shorted or open.

I have moved the wires around while data logging and do not see any response change that is associated with the wire movement. Vibration should not be an issue.

I have moved the wiring harness by the ECM (7730) and did not detect strange ECT readings.

Other things to try?

Other sensors, IAT, EOT, and TPS seem ok.

I forgot to turn on the heater.

Wonder if I need to get the coolant to run through the heater core to fully purge the coolant system of air?

Comments?

Wonder if I have a gas bubble around the ECT location?

Running a TPIS MiniRam II.

Comments?

What about a Thermostat that is not fully open?

My Thermostat opens (ideally) @ 170 F. Yes, I live in NC and it gets hot in the summer. This car is not a daily driver.

I noticed the ECT value seems to climb during longer runs and cool when at idle for a period of time. Just wonder if a partially open thermostat would restrict (too much) the coolant flow and result in partially higher short-term coolant temperatures?

Comments?

Thanks for any trouble-shooting suggestions.

Things were just fine a couple of weeks ago.

Best Regards,

Bruce
Old 09-20-2015, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87 IROC
Engine: 420 EFI
Transmission: TKO500
Axle/Gears: Moser 9" 3:50
Re: Strange ECT Response over time

Looks like the attachments were not attached.
Attached Thumbnails Strange ECT Response over time-ect_normal_full.png   Strange ECT Response over time-ect_weird_full.png   Strange ECT Response over time-ect_weird_zoom.png