Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

smog trouble in calif

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smog trouble in calif

I have a 90 formula firebird. it has 40k original factory miles on it and I took it down to get the thing smogged, it passed the initial test then came the evap canister test the guy doing the test went to put on his gas cap adapter and it fit loose he told me that since it did not fit right I needed to get a new gas tank, now I really find that hard to believe that plastic gas caps would wear out the filler neck on a steel gas tank, plus the fact that the car has such low miles on it, to think of having to replace the gas tank, I was wondering if anyone else on here from calif has had that problem..
Old 09-20-2015, 10:51 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 67 Posts
Car: 1989 Pontiac Formula 350
Engine: L98
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: BorgWarner 3.27 Posi
Re: smog trouble in calif

Originally Posted by reactor60
I have a 90 formula firebird. it has 40k original factory miles on it and I took it down to get the thing smogged, it passed the initial test then came the evap canister test the guy doing the test went to put on his gas cap adapter and it fit loose he told me that since it did not fit right I needed to get a new gas tank, now I really find that hard to believe that plastic gas caps would wear out the filler neck on a steel gas tank, plus the fact that the car has such low miles on it, to think of having to replace the gas tank, I was wondering if anyone else on here from calif has had that problem..
Go to another smog station. He just didn't have the right evap test tool.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Car: 1992 Z28
Engine: 383

They actually put a cap on your fuel tank not your gas cap on a tester?
Old 09-21-2015, 01:00 AM

yes they have a adapter that looks like a factory gas cap and then they pressurize the system and look for drops in the gauge, my gas cap fits perfect and seals the system like it was made to do, when i unscrew the cap it releases pressure from the system like it is meant to, I just got done putting a new fuel pump in it which is no easy task and really don't want to spend the money buying a new fuel tank, if I have to do that I am going to take the tank before I install it to a smog check station and have them put the adapter on the tank, if the problem is still the same then It would make me want to think that they are using a bogus adapter in the test to fail the older cars that the state of calif does not want on the road, if that is the case then I am going to go to the state smog referee and have them explain to me why the adapter they are using is not sealing on a brand new gas tank.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by thtanner
Go to another smog station. He just didn't have the right evap test tool.
What he said, BUT go with your failed smog slip in hand, show the inspector the failed slip and tell him about the gas cap, have him verify that he has the correct cap before you spend $55
Old 09-22-2015, 09:10 AM

Car: 86 Trans Am
Engine: 305 LB9
Transmission: 700r4

Easiest way to pass is to just move

Kidding aside I know exactly the tool he has. One of my mechanic friends has one for when Texas becomes smog-stricted
Old 09-22-2015, 09:45 AM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

I was failed twice for the same issue with the gas cap adapter last year and they too said that I would either need a new gas tank or I replaced it. I went to a third place and finally passed after a brief argument over the legality of my slp headers.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 88 Firebird Formula
Engine: LO5 5.7 TBI/Ebl Flash
Axle/Gears: 2.73 stock rear end

Originally Posted by MY87LT
I was failed twice for the same issue with the gas cap adapter last year and they too said that I would either need a new gas tank or I replaced it. I went to a third place and finally passed after a brief argument over the legality of my slp headers.
Gotta have that C.A.R.B plate!
Old 09-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro LT
Engine: LG4 w/ SLP headers & a 3" catback
Transmission: THM700R4 (Stock)
Axle/Gears: Stock 2.73 gears. No Posi

SLP didn't weld one onto my headers. I have an underhood decal from them instead with the C.A.R.B. and header part numbers.