Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Starts N runs for 1min, then dies, then no start. HELP!

Old 10-06-2015, 02:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone, i have an 88' IROC-z 350/TPI 5.7L. I have a problem that when i start my car(fuel pump clicks and turns on) it will run fine for about 1min, and then it will just die. Then when i try to restart it, it wont even turn over. All i hear is one single clicking noise. I have to wait a few hours before i can try it again. It will only start when the motor is completely cold, and when it warms up, it dies, and then wont turn over. I've done hours of research, and i think i got it nailed down to 2 problems(I'L TAKE ADVICE THOUGH!!) I think i got it down to 1) Mass airflow sensor, and 2) fuel pump/fuel pump regulator. Here is a list of things i replaced in case u think this is the problem.
1) Distributor 2) cap+rotor 3)Ignition coil(and the wire that connects to distributor). 4)alternator
-Today i cleaned the mass airflow sensor with MAS cleaner, and it did absolutely nothing. I even tried starting it with mas airflow unplugged, and that didnt help(i heard if the problem is mas airflow, and it runs better with it off, then thats your problem). -I also checked fuel pump fuse on side panel, and it has a 20AMP, and is good 2 go.
ANYWAYS, im rambling...and frustrated. If ANYONE knows something i don't, please help. I would REALLY appreciate it. I have a little $, just not enough for a damn mechanic......thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:55 AM

Hi everyone, i have an 88' IROC-z 350/TPI 5.7L. I have a problem that when i start my car(fuel pump clicks and turns on) it will run fine for about 1min, and then it will just die. Then when i try to restart it, it wont even turn over. All i hear is one single clicking noise. I have to wait a few hours before i can try it again. It will only start when the motor is completely cold, and when it warms up, it dies, and then wont turn over. I've done hours of research, and i think i got it nailed down to 2 problems(I'L TAKE ADVICE THOUGH!!) I think i got it down to 1) Mass airflow sensor, and 2) fuel pump/fuel pump regulator. Here is a list of things i replaced in case u think this is the problem.
1) Distributor 2) cap+rotor 3)Ignition coil(and the wire that connects to distributor). 4)alternator
-Today i cleaned the mass airflow sensor with MAS cleaner, and it did absolutely nothing. I even tried starting it with mas airflow unplugged, and that didnt help(i heard if the problem is mas airflow, and it runs better with it off, then thats your problem). -I also checked fuel pump fuse on side panel, and it has a 20AMP, and is good 2 go.
ANYWAYS, im rambling...and frustrated. If ANYONE knows something i don't, please help. I would REALLY appreciate it. I have a little $, just not enough for a damn mechanic......thanks.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:17 AM

Starts for 1min, then dies, then no crank. HELP!

Hello everyone, i have an 88' IROC-z 5.7L/TPI with a 350. I have a problem in which i crank the motor, it starts right up, runs fine for 1min. THen it will shut off. THen when i go to restart it, it wont turn over, and it only makes 1 single clicking noise for every time i turn the key. Anyways, i cant restart it until hours later when motor is completely cold. It is only when it seems to warm up a little, is when it just shuts off. I've done hrs of research, and i think i got it down to 2 issues(ALTHOUGH IM TAKING ANY ADVICE).
1) mass airflow sensor and 2)fuel pump/fuel pump regulator. Here is is a list of things i replaced in case u thought this would be the problem.
1) distributor 2) cap + rotor 3) Ignition coil(and that wire that connects 2 the back of the distributor) 4) alternator 5)starter.
-Today i took off mass airflow sensor and cleaned it with airflow cleaner, and it did absolutely nothing. I even tried turning it over with it off(i heard if it runs better with it off, then thats your problem) and that did nothing. -I also checked the fuel pump fuse on the side panel next to the battery, it has a 20AMP and is good to go.
-Today i think i factored out mass airflow. Right now i don't know what else to check. I have fuel pump, and will only replace it if some1 tells me thats 100% the problem. WHAT SHOULD I DO, IF ANY1 KNOWS WHAT I SHOULD REPLACE, PLEASE TELL ME, I NEED HELP!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Car: '88 GTA
Engine: 355 SBC, AFR 195 heads, Stealth Ram
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Starts N runs for 1min, then dies, then no start. HELP!

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve and tell us what it says.
Old 10-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 91 Firebird/88 Firebird/91 Formula
Engine: V6 3.1/V8 5.0/V8 5.0
Transmission: 4L60/700R4/4L60
Axle/Gears: 3.23/2.73/2.73
Re: Starts for 1min, then dies, then no crank. HELP!

Take your ICM ignition control module to an auto parts store and have it checked.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:17 PM

Ok, will have to buy one at an auto parts store. Will be updating ASAP
Old 10-14-2015, 09:20 PM

O, and i now have an update. My car wont run for 1min anymore. Now i have to hold the gas pedal down for it to stay running. If i let go of the gas pedal, my car will just die. So whatever the problem is, its getting worse
Old 10-14-2015, 09:25 PM

Re: Starts for 1min, then dies, then no crank. HELP!

I dont thin k it would be ICM, because now my car wont run UNLESS i hold the gas pedal down. I have to hold the pedal down to start AND run it. Once i let go, the car dies.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

I would put my money on fuel. You might wanna go through the fuel system. Start with that fuel guage, but I think thats where your problem lies.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:39 PM

Ok, well i have a brand new fuel pump. I will buy pressure gage ASAP and i will tell you the results in next couple of days. If the fuel pressure is off, does that mean its the fuel pump regulator?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Transam GTA Notchback
Engine: 2003 Chevy 5.3 Vortec (325 cu)
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.27

it could be any number of things from a bad pump or regulator to a clogged line or bad filter.. could be anything