Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Rebuilding my TPI L98

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding my TPI L98

10min from the house car makes a loud bang pull over shut it off, get out check underneath there's some oil on the ground not alot but it shouldn't be there. Go to start the car, starter engages but motor does NOT turn over. Have it flatbed trailered home get underneath it and I've got holes in the side of my oil pan...😢😭😡 So here I am needing a rebuild but I've got some questions, wanting to stay as close to original with maybe some internal upgrades. Given there was no internal damage guy I know has suggested using LT1 rods and pistons for their strength and says it should only bump compression up by .2 and should be OK with my current PROM chip. My other question is using a COMP 502 grind cam and matching valve springs and hardware. If I were to rebuild using the LT1 rods and pistons and using this comp cam does anyone know if it's gonna require a burnt PROM chip or should I be fine with the existing?