Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Replacement Starter Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 08:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Replacement Starter Issues

The Camaro gave me a bit of a scare this morning, for 15 minutes, I was stalled in a traffic lane with bumper-to-bumper traffic, due to an accident on the highway.

I suspect there's an issue with the new starter I put on the car yesterday. To catch everyone up, I discovered that the previous owner, rather than put the proper smaller starter that belonged on T5 V8's, had simply ground the starter pocket, and left the inspection cover off, since it wouldn't fit with the wrong starter. However, the starter worked just fine, without issue, but I wanted to put it back together right, so I bought a remanufactured starter from AutoZone, and put it on the car yesterday.

I THOUGHT I heard the solenoid chattering a couple of times last night when test driving the car, but it started just fine, if perhaps cranking a little slow. I had the battery charged, and tested last, week, as since the car had sat for two months, the battery was almost completely discharged. The battery is less than a year old...and as I mentioned earlier, the old starter never gave any trouble. Besides, I've driven the car over 600 miles since then, so the battery should be rather well charged.

Anyhow, this morning, stuck in stop-and-go traffic because of the accident, my foot slipped off the clutch at a bad time, and I stalled the car. Trying to restart the car, the starter was turning the engine over very slowly, and I could hear the solenoid chattering. I turned off EVERYTHING, except for emergency flashers, and nothing changed. I rolled down the window to wave traffic around me, and the window went down at a normal speed, which would seem to indicate the battery was fine. Got out and raised the hood, and checked the battery connections, everything was like-new clean, bright, and tight...and yesterday when installing the starter, I cleaned every terminal going to the starter, to make sure everything was as it should be.

Over the next 15 minutes, I tried every couple of minutes or so to restart the car, and no success. Finally, the engine started, and I was able to get to work.

The clicking solenoid makes me wonder if the solenoid is an issue, or if perhaps the starter motor is drawing too much current, and causing the solenoid to chatter.

Tried starting the car about an hour after I got to work, and it cranked normally, as if nothing ever happened.

The car is an '88 IROC-Z, 350 TPI.

Ideas or suggestions would be appreciated...
Old 11-24-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1988 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56 swap ongoing
Axle/Gears: 2.77 9-bolt Posi
Re: Replacement Starter Issues

Took the car by the auto parts place...battery checks as good. Alternator output is 14.3 volts, and even after having driven about 20 minutes, a warm start was a 210 amp draw for the starter.

The car acted just fine...so IDK.

could the solenoid chattering be an issue with the starter safety interlock on the clutch pedal?