Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 89 GTA
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Car will not start

Hey guys. I finally picked up a obd1 scanner for my 89 GTA, but I keep getting a error when it tries to read the codes. I can hear the fan running when it does try to get the codes, but then nothing it comes up with an error. Now on top of it the car will not even start. I can turn the key and it just turns. What could be the possible problem now? Should I disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes?
Old 11-27-2015, 04:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: Fourth Gen '94 camaro
Engine: 350 Gen II
Transmission: A4
Axle/Gears: 3.23
Re: Car will not start

Try shorting the pins (A & B) at the connector to read the codes as they flash on CEL: http://www.obd-codes.com/faq/read-gm...codes-free.php

If car wont start but turn over then its not the starter circuit. So then its ign or fuel. If its not scanning codes i think there is something wrong in the scanner wiring/cable or ECM connection. Or maybe the wrong scanner. Man u can buy spark testers for less than 10 bucks these days and that will tell u if the ign is making spark. I would test for spark first then if u have spark measure the fuel press. But something is wrong w/your scanner or hook up and u need to look at/for codes ASAP.

Have to ask what work have u done to the car lately. Thats the first location to look at.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:30 PM

This is the Scanner I got.
Amazon.com: INNOVA 3120 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader for OBD1 and OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3120 Diagnostic Scan Tool/Code Reader for OBD1 and OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive
It has a obd1 hookup for the car and the car WAS running before I plugged it in. Now it will not start. Though If i turn the key and give it a little gas it will turn over (runs rough) and stay running, but the moment I take my foot off the gas it will instantly shut off.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts

If the scanner is sending a 160 Baud data request while the engine is starting the ECM may not operate normally. Wait until the engine is running before connecting that scan tool on the older ECM vehicles. If the scanner applies a resistance to the A-B pins the ECM may react by entering backup fuel mode, a.k.a., running like crap.

With the scanner disconnected, does the ECM still perform the "SES Bounce" when the ignition is turned on?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Vader
If the scanner is sending a 160 Baud data request while the engine is starting the ECM may not operate normally. Wait until the engine is running before connecting that scan tool on the older ECM vehicles. If the scanner applies a resistance to the A-B pins the ECM may react by entering backup fuel mode, a.k.a., running like crap.

With the scanner disconnected, does the ECM still perform the "SES Bounce" when the ignition is turned on?
SES Bounce? All I currently know is when I plugged the scanner into the ECM I heard the fan run then it came back with an error saying the ECM either wasn't responding or the DTC (I believe it was) wasn't connected properly. I then removed the cable and tried starting the car. It turns then starts for like a second then just stops and just turns and turns... never starting.However I can turn the motor apply a little gas and it will start and run so long as I keep giving gas. The moment I let off it instantly stops.