Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

How much do you think my car is worth?

Old 02-03-2016, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Camaro RS
Engine: 305 TBI
Transmission: 4 Speed Automatic
How much do you think my car is worth?

1991 Camaro RS 305 4speed automatic,116,000 miles.

The cam has a flat lobe,causing a lifter tick,backfiring,and running rough.
The rear wheel cylinders are leaking.
The sending unit is bad.
The fuel pump is going bad.

It has a new master cylinder.
New injectors.
Rebuilt throttle body.
New weatherstripping all around.
New brake fluid.
New Automatic transmission fluid and filter.
New oil and filter.
New power steering fluid.

I'll be selling this car cause it's just too expensive to fix for me. How much would you say it's worth?
Old 02-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: How much do you think my car is worth?

How sure are you it's a wiped lobe and not something like a bad lifter? The roller cams are a hardened material, much harder to wipe a lobe than on a flat tappet.
Otherwise, no rust, driveable, no body damage paint in decent shape, interior free of rips and big stains, I would say 2500-3500. 3500 if it's spring time in the rust belt and yours has no rust, 2500 if it has rust. No rust and it's in the South or west coast 2500-3000. If it won't drive be happy with 1500.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car: 1986 IROC Z-28
Engine: 383 Gen I SBC 11:1
Transmission: Rebuilt TH700R4 for 500+HP
Axle/Gears: 4th Gen 10 bolt Eaton Truetrac 3.23

Post some pics! The rust belt kills all cars. How many owners? Where has it been located? etc. Some folks won't care what new parts are on a 3rd gen... The condition of the body/subframe will dictate the price IMO.

BTW, you will regret selling it!
Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 PM
Supreme Member

Car: '86 Bird, 96 ImpalaSS, 98 C1500XCab
Engine: LG4, LT1, L31
Transmission: 700R4, 4L60E, 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73 Tors, 4.88 spool, 3.73 Eaton

As you've described it, $1500. Unless you find a newb 3rd Gen fanatic that just hasn't looked around.
I bought the car in my sig with the upgraded exhaust and rearend for $1300. 105k miles. Pristine mechanical condition, no rust, not a dent in any body panel. Interior is an 8 out of 10. Visbile wear areas, no damage or rips. The only cosmetic issues were peeling clearcoat and a drooping headliner.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by UltRoadWarrior9
Post some pics! The rust belt kills all cars. How many owners? Where has it been located? etc. Some folks won't care what new parts are on a 3rd gen... The condition of the body/subframe will dictate the price IMO.

BTW, you will regret selling it!
I really do wanna keep it,but I'm a sophomore in high school,and unless I work out a loan with my grandfather I can't afford this at the moment.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
How sure are you it's a wiped lobe and not something like a bad lifter? The roller cams are a hardened material, much harder to wipe a lobe than on a flat tappet.
Otherwise, no rust, driveable, no body damage paint in decent shape, interior free of rips and big stains, I would say 2500-3500. 3500 if it's spring time in the rust belt and yours has no rust, 2500 if it has rust. No rust and it's in the South or west coast 2500-3000. If it won't drive be happy with 1500.
If a lifter got wiped what would be indications? I've got a lifter tick going on which they say is a byproduct of the cam lobe. Would there be metal shavings in the oil if a lifter got wiped?
Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 AM
Supreme Member

Received 657 Likes on 467 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

I have no idea how much your car is worth but I can tell you this ;

Jumping from car to car at a $1500 to $2000 pricepoint is the single worst mistake you can make !

The list of repairs in your opening post , did you pay for those ? The master cylinder and injectors and so on ? Well , when your talking a car that far under $4000 or $5000 you are 100% assured that anything else you get is going to be similarly afflicted with mileage & age worn parts , whether it's a 1992 or a 2002 ! So you waste your time and money doing some repairs to your Camaro and then sell those repairs to someone else only to have to play "hide & seek" with whatever is wrong with the next $2000 car ? I promise you that by the time you've bought , partially repaired , and then bailed on 5 different crapboxes you WILL have $pent enough $$$$ to have made your Camaro into one decent ride !

It's called commitment , and sound financial responsibility ........
Old 02-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

OrangeBird is right. Either stick with what you got and make it right or bail.
Then go buy a Honda and throw a 6 inch coffee can muffler on it.

These cars can be a expensive hobby. Believe us....we know.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:28 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
OrangeBird is right. Either stick with what you got and make it right or bail.
Then go buy a Honda and throw a 6 inch coffee can muffler on it.

These cars can be a expensive hobby. Believe us....we know.
Bob is right on here as well regarding cars being expensive , Just know that if you keep talking about "the shop" , ANY car is gonna get crazy expensive at $100+ an hour labor rates ! Like I just put in your other thread , whether it's this 1992 Camaro or a 2002 Honda , It's GONNA need work , work that you CAN do yourself , once you stop telling yourself you can't . I was a high school kid once . And couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my car either . Since I liked to drive , I learned how to repair . And I'll bet you I've saved better than $50K over the years doing my own repairs (I'm retirement age now) . You CAN do this just as countless thousands of other young people have . Do you have the sense of commitment to see it through ?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
Bob is right on here as well regarding cars being expensive , Just know that if you keep talking about "the shop" , ANY car is gonna get crazy expensive at $100+ an hour labor rates ! Like I just put in your other thread , whether it's this 1992 Camaro or a 2002 Honda , It's GONNA need work , work that you CAN do yourself , once you stop telling yourself you can't . I was a high school kid once . And couldn't afford to pay someone to fix my car either . Since I liked to drive , I learned how to repair . And I'll bet you I've saved better than $50K over the years doing my own repairs (I'm retirement age now) . You CAN do this just as countless thousands of other young people have . Do you have the sense of commitment to see it through ?
I've got the commitment. How do I go about figuring out if it's a cam or not?
Old 02-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by '91CamaroRS
I've got the commitment. How do I go about figuring out if it's a cam or not?
Ok , now we're talking !

First things first , just how much metal was in the oil ? If we're looking at trace amounts , that's one thing , but if it was a crazy amount , you may want to consider picking up a good used engine and putting that in there . Do you know that you can install an entire engine in about half the time it would take to replace just the camshaft ? That's cause to replace the entire engine , you will likely remove a LOT less bolts than you would to pull both the intake manifold , timing cover , and the parts of the car's nose that are required to slide the camshaft out .

But anyway , what I'd first suggest would be to do a few tests . cheap tests that will tell you volumes about the condition of your engine and help to pinpoint which cylinder is ailing . First up will be a compression check . Next will be taking a vacuum gauge reading of the manifold vacuum . Most autoparts stores have a service whereby you can "borrow" the testers required to do these checks and thus should cost you nothing but time .

So tell me , do you have a means of posting a picture of what the metal in the oil looks like ?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1990 Formula Firebird
Engine: 305 TBI (LO3)
Transmission: WC T-5 out of an 88 T/A
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt, 3.42 & Torsen Posi

I paid like $750 for mine back in 2011. Mechanically was sound (still is) body was rough, dents, panels that weren't the same color. The body condition will really drive the price. Mechanical issues can be fixed, and usually without investing a lot of time or money, but rust repair & body work is a whole different ballgame.

If you have to replace the motor, it could probably be done for a few hundred bucks.
Wheel cylinders are probably like $17/each and can be swapped in an afternoon.
Sending unit & fuel pump are probably one piece & could probably be replaced in a weekend for less than $200.

So in reality you're looking at $700 bucks worst case scenario, or you could roll the dice & sell this & buy some other crapbox like orangebird said & maybe you'll come out on top, maybe you'll loose big.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:07 PM

Ok , now we're talking !

First things first , just how much metal was in the oil ? If we're looking at trace amounts , that's one thing , but if it was a crazy amount , you may want to consider picking up a good used engine and putting that in there . Do you know that you can install an entire engine in about half the time it would take to replace just the camshaft ? That's cause to replace the entire engine , you will likely remove a LOT less bolts than you would to pull both the intake manifold , timing cover , and the parts of the car's nose that are required to slide the camshaft out .

But anyway , what I'd first suggest would be to do a few tests . cheap tests that will tell you volumes about the condition of your engine and help to pinpoint which cylinder is ailing . First up will be a compression check . Next will be taking a vacuum gauge reading of the manifold vacuum . Most autoparts stores have a service whereby you can "borrow" the testers required to do these checks and thus should cost you nothing but time .

So tell me , do you have a means of posting a picture of what the metal in the oil looks like ?
I can't get a picture just yet. The shop still has the car. I'm waiting on them to put wheels back on,and I'll need to setup a towing time. How do I do compression and vacuum checks? Where do I attach the gauges' hoses?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:08 PM

Ok , now we're talking !

What will these tests tell me anyway? And what are the average reading a for good compression and vacuum?
Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM
Supreme Member

I disagree with the current mentality of the group. If you can't do simple things like replace a wheel cylinder OR you don't have a readily available and somewhat knowledgeable friend or family member who can help you do the repairs than you're in over your head. You need a job and reliable transportation for work/school/play, not a car to sink money into and wait for the next problem to surface. I'm with LG4bird that you can find inexpensive and reliable transportation as long as you don't only want x or y and look around for a while.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:29 PM

I've gotta go with Tibo, I thought you were doing all the work yourself. The repairs I listed would be like $700 for parts. If you need to swap the engine & need to pay someone to do it get ready to bend over buddy...

If you're taking it to a shop for all this stuff you need to get rid of this car & buy yourself something that won't need constant tinkering. Like a Honda, or a Jeep with a 4.0L.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Formula 305
I've gotta go with Tibo, I thought you were doing all the work yourself. The repairs I listed would be like $700 for parts. If you need to swap the engine & need to pay someone to do it get ready to bend over buddy...

If you're taking it to a shop for all this stuff you need to get rid of this car & buy yourself something that won't need constant tinkering. Like a Honda, or a Jeep with a 4.0L.
I could easily do the brakes myself,but I'll end up paying for the tow back to my house,and after all is said and done I would have spent more money towing it back and fixing it myself than just having them do it so I could drive it home. As far as the engine I'm going to get a bit more info on it. They're going to let me pull the valve covers in their yard for free,and just have them inspect it. That'll save me a boatload.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:05 PM

The car is completely un-driveable as is? How far is it from the shop to your driveway?
Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Formula 305
The car is completely un-driveable as is? How far is it from the shop to your driveway?
About 8-10 miles of heavy traffic. If there was an untraveled road id take that,but drivers are absolutely terrible here. They constantly cut you off,and you have to slam on the brakes,and mine don't react even close to enough to be safe.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:00 AM

Know anyone with an AAA membership? Or just have them fix the bare minimum to make it safe to drive home.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27

"drivers are absolutely terrible here"

Not that it matters, but WHERE is HERE?
Old 02-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Supreme Member

About 8-10 miles of heavy traffic. If there was an untraveled road id take that,but drivers are absolutely terrible here. They constantly cut you off,and you have to slam on the brakes,and mine don't react even close to enough to be safe.
I would pick up the keys and leave the car in the parking lot. Wake up at 2-3 AM and then go get it and have someone follow you home. Not many people are out driving at that time. I've driven a car home at night when something happens. Once I lost the bolt holding on one of the caliper brackets, another time for some reason I had almost no breaks and I just had to use down shifting and the ebrake.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bob88GTA
"drivers are absolutely terrible here"

Not that it matters, but WHERE is HERE?
Albuquerque,New Mexico.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM

I would pick up the keys and leave the car in the parking lot. Wake up at 2-3 AM and then go get it and have someone follow you home. Not many people are out driving at that time. I've driven a car home at night when something happens. Once I lost the bolt holding on one of the caliper brackets, another time for some reason I had almost no breaks and I just had to use down shifting and the ebrake.
Not a bad idea thanks.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Formula 350
Engine: 350
Transmission: T-5
Axle/Gears: 3:23

Albuquerque,New Mexico.
Been there... he's right its worse than most...

Pull the valve covers off and see how everything is moving... tough to flatten a roller cam.

You're in high school... Here's my best advise.
1.Don't read Hot Rod magazine like a Bible.. you'll spend lots on money on zero benefit..
2. Make it run, it doesn't have to be perfect or 600hp. I ran a 302 on 7 cylinders for 5k miles (Took the rockers, pushrods and spark plug wires off. Left the park plug in). The piston shattered. It was in a truck so I dropped the pan, took the piston/rod out, cut the rod and put the bottom of the rod back onto the crank to hold oil pressure) Total cost? $2.00 in silicone to re-stick the oil pan. Is it right? No Did it run? Yep.
3. Make it stop/turn... Everything else is useless if it won't stop/turn.. Brake and Suspension parts are cheap for these cars.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:36 PM

Also you've got ABS, if someone else changed the master cylinder... Is there a chance they pumped a bunch of air into the ABS unit? It would stop like a pig on roller skates in the snow if that was the case...
Old 02-07-2016, 04:57 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by FormulasOnly
Also you've got ABS, if someone else changed the master cylinder... Is there a chance they pumped a bunch of air into the ABS unit? It would stop like a pig on roller skates in the snow if that was the case...
The ABS didn't happen until the fourth gen years, 93 and up.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:13 PM

The ABS didn't happen until the fourth gen years, 93 and up.
I stand corrected.... I coulda sworn I remember my 1991 Formula had ABS...
Old 02-08-2016, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by FormulasOnly
Been there... he's right its worse than most...

Pull the valve covers off and see how everything is moving... tough to flatten a roller cam.

You're in high school... Here's my best advise.
1.Don't read Hot Rod magazine like a Bible.. you'll spend lots on money on zero benefit..
2. Make it run, it doesn't have to be perfect or 600hp. I ran a 302 on 7 cylinders for 5k miles (Took the rockers, pushrods and spark plug wires off. Left the park plug in). The piston shattered. It was in a truck so I dropped the pan, took the piston/rod out, cut the rod and put the bottom of the rod back onto the crank to hold oil pressure) Total cost? $2.00 in silicone to re-stick the oil pan. Is it right? No Did it run? Yep.
3. Make it stop/turn... Everything else is useless if it won't stop/turn.. Brake and Suspension parts are cheap for these cars.
Yea that's what I figured. I just want it running right because I have to pass emissions where I'm at,and there's not a snow ball's chance in hell of that happening the way it is now.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:34 PM

Yea that's what I figured. I just want it running right because I have to pass emissions where I'm at,and there's not a snow ball's chance in hell of that happening the way it is now.
I tend to get sucked into the thought that California is the only state that smogs past 25 years old.... I'm in Cali and have to deal with it..

Is all the equipment there? If nothings been hacked by a prior owner and all the equipment is there, it shouldn't be that bad.. Ebay can be a godsend for a lot of the hard to find parts or just cheaper. TBI is a bit easier to deal with than the TPI cars..
Old 02-08-2016, 06:46 PM

Also just for comparison. I bought my 89 Formula TPI 350 two years ago for $1700. Complete but mostly unmolested with 175,000 miles. It was a visual disaster, but I drove it home. Had to replace %75 of the interior, had the front end re painted, blew the trans after 3,000 miles.. I rebuilt the engine at the same time. So far I'm into it for about $5,500 but I'd jump in it and drive anywhere. I get some compliments on it here and there.
With the exception of the bench trans rebuild and the paint everything was done by my hands. 99% of the members on this forum are incredibly knowledgeable and helpful just gotta watch out for that 1%. They have helped me save a lot of money with their prior experience..