Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel Pressure Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure Issue

I have a 1984 Z28 that I bought after it had been sitting up for a few years. I put on a new Edelbrock 1406 carb and new fuel tank, sending unit, and the previous owner put on a new fuel pump a month or so before I bought it. I've been driving the car for about 6 months now and I just recently started having trouble with what I believe is a fuel pressure problem. When I start the car I can drive it for a few minutes before I start to feel it kind of stall and now have any power. The choke light came on but it's a brand new carb so I don't think the choke is the issue. When I look under the hood I can see bubbles in the filter as I rev up the engine and can see the fuel level drop in the filter when doing so. Any idea what's going on? Can the charcoal canister be a factor?

Last edited by Bradley1984z28; 02-08-2016 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,670 Likes on 1,268 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Fuel Pressure Issue

Choke light comes on = the alternator is not working

The light may say "Choke" but it really means "Alt"

In any event, a non-working alt will also result in the choke NEVER pulling off.

So, fix the "Alt" (mislabelled) light problem first.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Choke light comes on = the alternator is not working

The light may say "Choke" but it really means "Alt"

In any event, a non-working alt will also result in the choke NEVER pulling off.

So, fix the "Alt" (mislabelled) light problem first.

The alternator is brand new, maybe a few months old so I don't think that's the problem.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM

Car: 1982 Z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: Det. Posi, Superior Axles, 3:73 G

What type of pump? Tank or block mount?
Are you sure the PO installed it a few months ago and not use that as a sales tactic?
Old 02-09-2016, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by crazynights
What type of pump? Tank or block mount?
Are you sure the PO installed it a few months ago and not use that as a sales tactic?
It's a mechanical pump on the passenger side of the block, and I'm fairly sure because he had the box for the pump and it looks brand new. My question is why would there be bubbles in the fuel filter when I'm getting on the throttle? I don't understand what would cause that.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:30 PM

Car: 1982 Z-28
Engine: 383
Transmission: Turbo 350
Axle/Gears: Det. Posi, Superior Axles, 3:73 G

Do you have the box? Just curious on make and model #.

Also, you put in a new tank. You didn't have a pump on the sending unit?

Did you check all floats and adjust the carb? Could be flooding as well to make it feel like it will stall.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

so I don't think that's the problem
It's the problem. Doesn't matter about "think"; what matters is what IS.
Old 02-09-2016, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by crazynights
Do you have the box? Just curious on make and model #.

Also, you put in a new tank. You didn't have a pump on the sending unit?

Did you check all floats and adjust the carb? Could be flooding as well to make it feel like it will stall.
The box for the fuel pump? No I don't have it.

I did not put an electric pump on the sending unit because of the mechanical pump and because the original didn't have an electric pump so I didn't worry about it.

I haven't opened up the new carb and adjusted anything, the only adjusting we did was to the mixture screws.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 AM
naf
Supreme Member

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Car: 1987 SC/1985 TA
Engine: 350/vortec/fitech
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 3.27 9-bolt

assume you have one of those clear, plastic filters. observing some bubbles and air in the filter is normal. of course it should be replaced with a filter that is not subject to catastrophic failure due to heat, impact or vibration.

you can get the alternator tested for free at AZ or one of the others
Old 02-10-2016, 07:20 AM
Supreme Member

Testing the alt at AZ won't guarantee that it works IN YOUR CAR. The car can have problems that prevent it from working, as well as its own possibilities.

Check the voltage at the big output terminal with the car running. Verify that it's above 14 V, should be closer to 14.5 V, and that it doesn't have more than a few tenths of a volt AC on it. Reason being, it's a 3-phase system, and if one phase isn't working, the other 2 will still work enough to keep the batt charged (and for that matter make it test "good") but the car will struggle with it.

Also make sure the Choke (Alt) light comes on when you turn the key on before you start it, then goes out when the engine is started; and that it doesn't glow, even dimly, at idle with the headlights on. (check at night)
Old 02-10-2016, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by sofakingdom
Testing the alt at AZ won't guarantee that it works IN YOUR CAR. The car can have problems that prevent it from working, as well as its own possibilities.

Check the voltage at the big output terminal with the car running. Verify that it's above 14 V, should be closer to 14.5 V, and that it doesn't have more than a few tenths of a volt AC on it. Reason being, it's a 3-phase system, and if one phase isn't working, the other 2 will still work enough to keep the batt charged (and for that matter make it test "good") but the car will struggle with it.

Also make sure the Choke (Alt) light comes on when you turn the key on before you start it, then goes out when the engine is started; and that it doesn't glow, even dimly, at idle with the headlights on. (check at night)
The alt. is above 14 V when running and the choke light does what you're saying.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by naf
assume you have one of those clear, plastic filters. observing some bubbles and air in the filter is normal. of course it should be replaced with a filter that is not subject to catastrophic failure due to heat, impact or vibration.

you can get the alternator tested for free at AZ or one of the others
I know some bubbles are normal but I'm losing pressure to the point where it's rendered useless. I read on another forum that old, porous hoses and loose fittings could allow air to be sucked in but has not allowed out. So I'm hoping that's what it is. 👍🏼