Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

car turns on then right back off, weak throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1991 Camaro Z28
Engine: 5.0 TPI
Transmission: T5
car turns on then right back off, weak throttle response

Okay so i have a 1991 z28 5.0, about a month ago i was cruising when my car over heated on me then turned off, it would turn right back on when i cranked it but then turn right back off and it would give me no throtte response. After letting it sit for a couple hours it turned on and i made it home without any problems as if nothing went wrong. Since that day, at random times my car does this to me, the weak throttle response , sometimes pumping the gas pedal brings up the rpm's but i cant get the car to stay on until it sits for awhile. My fans are working and turn when theyre supposed to, i tested my throttle position sensor, fuel pressure, and havent found any vacuum leakes, i took it to my meachanic and he couldn't find out what was wrong either. Im really stuck here and this is my daily driver to school and i can only drive for about 30 minutes some days till it starts shutting off on me, can anybody please help me on this???? Heres a video of what happens:
Old 03-11-2016, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 Z28
Engine: tbi 305
Re: car turns on then right back off, weak throttle response

Hi Ricky. If you still have your cat on then check and see if the exhaust gets REALLY hot . A blocked cat will cause symtoms similar to yours. Hope you find it soon.

al
Old 03-11-2016, 05:55 PM

I appreciate the response ill look into it! my cat is only a couple months old how would i check if its getting clogged?
Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Car: 89 Z28
Engine: tbi 305

Hi Ricky. The exhaust exiting the rear of the car will be WAY hotter than it should. Does the engine sound louder than the exhaust when you are trying to rev it? Have a friend rev it or feel the exhaust temp coming out of the pipe. You will know because it will burn your hand. I can't imagine a new cat being blocked though. Just was the first thing that came to mind.

al
Old 03-11-2016, 07:54 PM

Car: 1992 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.0 305 tpi
Transmission: T5 (5 Speed) lol
Axle/Gears: stock posi

I can only go off things that happened to me. But my car acted the exact same way as yours did. When my fuel pressure regulator was going out. because it was getting drowned with fuel. Could be a early sign of that. I had a 92 Formula 5 speed Tpi. So could be your issue. Tell tale sign, disconnect the vacuum line going to your fuel pressure regulator, and if fuel comes out. Its going bad. When it goes bad all the way. Good luck getting it to start at all. Just a helpful hint. Might be the cause.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:05 PM

Oh yea and I forgot one more thing. The Egr valve if its bad, it can give you this result as well. Simple check block it off. My friends TBI 350 in his silverado had your issue. To a T. I really hope you get it figured out.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:21 PM

Yea EGR valve was the next thing i was going to look into, its just a real pain to see exactly whats going on because this only happens when its hot outside, it was raining today and my car was running around 220 but drove fine?? Very confusing.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ricky16
Yea EGR valve was the next thing i was going to look into, its just a real pain to see exactly whats going on because this only happens when its hot outside, it was raining today and my car was running around 220 but drove fine?? Very confusing.
Yea your going along the right lines. Typically things like this are minor. Just very tedious. On my k5 blazer, it would idle surge and die out. It had a bad pcv valve, my jaw was dropped. It was virtually the last thing I checked. But Egr would make it act like that completly. Once you get the chance just block it off and check it. Should only take a minute. This is of course if it decides to act up again.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:20 AM

So i just tested my egr valve and it seems to be holding vacuum just fine, it was a little dirty so i cleaned it up with some throttle body cleaner. Any way to test if the solenoid is working?
Old 03-14-2016, 12:19 PM

That I'm not entirely sure about if there's a way to check it. May have to ask others. I just would disconnect the egr vacuum line, plug it and check to see if there's a difference in your bogging while driving.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:12 AM

So Ive been deiving it around all week after cleaning the egr valve and it looks like my problem os fixed! Just wanted to thank everyone for the help I camt tell you how much of a headache its been!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:17 PM

So Ive been deiving it around all week after cleaning the egr valve and it looks like my problem os fixed! Just wanted to thank everyone for the help I camt tell you how much of a headache its been!
Very Awesome, glad to see its back to normal.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:04 AM

Just thought I'd update this post, turns out my problem was NOT the egr valve, well it did help the car run better for about a week it began shutting off after driving just like before. Turns out the problem was the Ignition Control Module (ICM) was over heating and it finally went bad the point that my car wouldn't start at all. I replaced the ICM and it started running like a champ it even fixed my oil pressure issues. However after about an hour of driving the car shut off just like it used to. My new problem is something keeps burning out the ICM, my next step might be to replace the distributor to see if that's whats burning out the ICM.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Just thought I'd update this post, turns out my problem was NOT the egr valve, well it did help the car run better for about a week it began shutting off after driving just like before. Turns out the problem was the Ignition Control Module (ICM) was over heating and it finally went bad the point that my car wouldn't start at all. I replaced the ICM and it started running like a champ it even fixed my oil pressure issues. However after about an hour of driving the car shut off just like it used to. My new problem is something keeps burning out the ICM, my next step might be to replace the distributor to see if that's whats burning out the ICM.

Did you ever find out why your Bird was blowing ignition modules. I am having the exact same problem. I'm pretty savvy with Engines but this has me stomped.