Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

vibration at rpm......misfiring?

Old 05-15-2016, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
vibration at rpm......misfiring?

Hi guys,
I have an 88 L98 TPI that recently overheating for only a few minutes due to a pulley problem that dumped the belt. I then did a coolant system pressure check to verify no damage/leaks, which checked out. Oil is good, no water. And then compression check showed good and strong and fairly even. So i started it up and it runs fine, no leaks, temp stays in check but the needle seems to bounce around more at idle. When driving it seems smooth to 2000 but then there is a definite vibration after 2000 for a bit.

I put a timing light on each wire and all are firing but 2 or 3 seem to have an erratic flashing, so i am assuming they are misfiring?

Last fall when i put it the motor in i put on new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, timing set and set timing and minimum air where it should be.

Any idea what this could be? Could the extra heat have done something to one of the ignition parts?

thanks.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: vibration at rpm......misfiring?

Originally Posted by eddie jr
Last fall when i put it the motor in i put on new wires, plugs, cap, rotor, timing set and set timing and minimum air where it should be.
I was looking for something about changing ignition stuff.

Recheck the plug wires. It's very easy to get 5 and 7 mixed up.
Rotation is clockwise. 18436572
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
I was looking for something about changing ignition stuff.

Recheck the plug wires. It's very easy to get 5 and 7 mixed up.
Rotation is clockwise. 18436572
Thanks for the reply. I was travelling for a few days so couldn't back to it. The double-checked to order and it is fine, but if they were wrong, would you not still detect spark just fine on the wire since it would ground through the plug to block?

I just checked the resistance of several of the wires to (Taylor Streetfire i believe) which were 1.3 - 1.7 Kohms which puts it right about the 500 per foot spec. I also pulled the cap and there were not huge buildups on the posts, just what you would normally expect to see......i cleaned them anyway though.

So now i am stumped, what could cause erattic spark only on some cylinders?
Old 05-19-2016, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: 5.0
Transmission: 700r

check those spark plug gaps..make sure theres no physical dmg
Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Queball
check those spark plug gaps..make sure theres no physical dmg
They look fine. all new and gapped (with 700ish miles on them).

I did some more checking and for some reason on #3 the timing light flashes nice and consistent up high on the wire but erratic/faster down near the plug???

When i switched the plugs in 1 and 3 and back, that was not conclusive.
Old 05-20-2016, 06:47 PM

could just be bad wires regardless.
i purchased a set of brand new wires ..installed them an some how i destroyed the end of a wire putting it on the plug..dunno how but oh well..replaced it again n all was good.

anything can happen to them wires..so easy to f*** up,,
Old 05-21-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86

Originally Posted by eddie jr
Thanks for the reply. I was travelling for a few days so couldn't back to it. The double-checked to order and it is fine, but if they were wrong, would you not still detect spark just fine on the wire since it would ground through the plug to block?
If 5 and 7 are mixed up, the engine will still run but those 2 plugs will be firing at the wrong time. Because they are right beside each other in the firing order, they will still ignite the fuel in the cylinders but at the wrong time. This will produce a lack of power and popping or a miss when under load.

Using a timing light on each cylinder like you're already done is a good way to tell if the plug is firing on that cylinder. If you say 2 or 3 are erratic then suspect a problem with those cylinders. Plug wires may not seated properly on the cap or plugs. Those plugs also may be defective. Try swapping the plugs to a different cylinder to see if the miss detected with a timing light also moves to that cylinder. If the erratic light moves with the plug, replace the plug.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by AlkyIROC
If 5 and 7 are mixed up, the engine will still run but those 2 plugs will be firing at the wrong time. Because they are right beside each other in the firing order, they will still ignite the fuel in the cylinders but at the wrong time. This will produce a lack of power and popping or a miss when under load.

Using a timing light on each cylinder like you're already done is a good way to tell if the plug is firing on that cylinder. If you say 2 or 3 are erratic then suspect a problem with those cylinders. Plug wires may not seated properly on the cap or plugs. Those plugs also may be defective. Try swapping the plugs to a different cylinder to see if the miss detected with a timing light also moves to that cylinder. If the erratic light moves with the plug, replace the plug.
Well , i had tried what you said and it was kind of inconclusive as to whether or not it was following the plugs, but then it flashed erratic (or much faster) down low by the plug but slower and consistent up high, so i thought for sure the wires.....nope. At the same time new delco plugs just cuz they are cheap.....no go there either.

Then i thought for sure it had to be in the distributor, so i pulled it and put in a used module and new pu coil i had laying around. I also cleaned the reluctor and piece on the shaft. Magent looked good with no cracks. You hear a tiny "ting" as something still barely touches at one point when you spin it but moves really nice now. I can't see where it touches. Thought for sure that would cure it......nope!

So now i am at a total loss, i don't know what the heck is going on. It seems you get the faster spark on many and different wires......i am wondering if it isn't even spark issue now?

If there were a fuel problem and the engine runs a little rougher (which it does), could that cause you to see erratic spark with a timing light? That is why i keep thinking it is ignition related.

I checked fuel pressure.....48psi. 38psi when running. varies a little when revving by about 4psi either way. Bleeds down very slowly. All injectors at 16.6 ohms, one at 16.2. That doesn't mean they are opening properly though, but i am hesitant to pull them since it is a lot of work to find out they are fine.

I am lost now......anymore thoughts?
Old 05-28-2016, 04:50 PM

anyone? this is killing me, still can't figure it out. i have been through literally everything.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:31 AM

check fuel filter..
check vacum leaks (throw some water on the intake man, see if see bubbles..
check compression ?
check fuel inject/carb/ clean it

if u over heated check for water in the oil..(possible blown head gasket inner instead of outwards)

id def compression check your cyl's and oil/water
Old 05-29-2016, 08:34 AM

also get it code scanned? see if any codes pop up
Old 05-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Supreme Member

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Car: 87 iroc-z
Engine: 454
Transmission: th350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

what was the pulley problem that dumped a belt? perhaps its related to your current issue?