Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Fuel Pump Noise Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1991 Z-28
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: AUTO
Axle/Gears: 2:73
Fuel Pump Noise Advice

Hi I have a 91 Z-28 305 TPI, just bought it after being off the road for 10 years. It just developed a problem when driving where it will run at idle and drive but as soon as I give it gas there is nothing there. Foot to the floor it feels like it is not getting gas. No codes, starts fine and does this right after starting before it has come up to temp.
The guy I got it from installed the fuel pump wrong and was leaking from the seal so I just finished pulling the tank and replacing the fuel pump. While the tank was out it was dry and I vacuumed out some rust and junk before putting it back in.
It was running great until just a day or so ago when it started the giant bog feeling.
I am also noticing an increase in noise (buzzing) from the fuel pump.

I wanted to ask for advice on next steps. I am thinking check the fuel pressure but am not sure where the Schrader valve is or what to hook up to it to check it. I am probably going to pull the filter and replace it since it is easy.
Is there anything else I should look at that might cause this? Will the fuel pump get noisy if it can't move gas (like a plugged filter) or is it simply a bad fuel pump? (I think it was a Denso pump)
Sorry for the long post and I appreciate comments.
Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 11:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 97 Likes on 62 Posts
Car: 88GTA
Engine: 5.7TPI
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.27
Re: Fuel Pump Noise Advice

Don't mind the comment. This is your location for the Schrader valve. Passenger side rear fuel rail

Old 05-18-2016, 11:38 AM

Thanks great photo. Can you get to it without taking the plenum off? Also is there a "special" fitting I need to hook up a pressure gage? Maybe stupid, but would a 100 psi tire pressure gage work???
Old 05-18-2016, 12:12 PM
Supreme Member

Easy access. Just get a gauge from the auto parts store cheap. It will have a flex hose on it and will screw right on. NO on the tire gauge.......!!!!
Old 05-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Car: 67 ******mobile
Engine: 385 Solid roller
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 4.11

^^^^this

wrap a towel around it when you go to unscrew you can get a little fuel spray sometimes. Or just barely crack it let it seep out then finish unscrewing

Nice to have, can tape to your windshield see whats going on under load.
They arent much long as you own an EFI car youll use it
Better than paying someone $100 to diagnose it for you.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:27 PM

Just thought I would provide an update.
I checked the pressure and it was running around 40 at idle and then dropped off when I drove the car, so I pulled the outlet line from the filter and hooked up a hose to drain my tank and observed that the flow would start strong and then taper off and at the same time the noise increased in the pump. So, I dropped the tank and think that while there was still some rust and "stuff" in the tank, the filter that came with the new pump had more of a "cloth" type of material rather than the fine mesh on the original pump and it was restricting the gas available to the pump and starving it.
So I reinstalled the original pump with the screen filter thinking that as long as the filter catches the larger particles that would mess up the pump it would pass through the fine stuff that would be caught by the in-line filter which is serviceable.
I will probably replace the tank in time but so far, not many miles on the car, but the pump is quiet and running well.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:33 PM
Supreme Member

Great to hear.