Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Car stalled

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1989 Iroc-Z Camaro
Engine: TBI,5.0
Transmission: Automatic 700R4
Axle/Gears: Eaton Posi,3.42,LPW Ultimate Cover
Car stalled

Well the car has been running like a champ until today.
Doing 40mph I went to pass a car so I got on it a little and all of a sudden I thought I heard a pop. Maybe a backfire.

So when I looked at the gages the stock tachometer that has always stayed pegged when the connecter is conected (obviously it was connected) But this time it bounced around a little then pegged and the car just quit. The power steering and brakes where out.

The car was dead and coasting in “Drive gear”. I put it in neutral as soon as I could and came to a stop on the side of the road.
Opened the hood and nothing looks to be amiss. No strange smell.
Turned the key and it started right up.

Well I got a better look and it seems that the air temp sensor on the bottom of the open air element had come out of its hole and was laying on the manifold.
If that could ground and cause a problem with the ECM I do not know.

The coil wires were almost touching bottom of the element base and even though I had put electrical tape on the base I just now added a 1/8” piece of rubber over it.
I also disconnected the white wire coming from the coil to the tachometer and the dial used to drop to zero. Not any more. It stays pegged.

So I guess my question is, what would cause the tack to bounce and stall the car ?

I just took it for a drive, and got on it a little. It could be my imagination but the car seem to drive better.

Last edited by Ron U.S.M.C.; 05-31-2016 at 06:36 PM.